Question on mantra meditation and emotional pain

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Question on mantra meditation and emotional pain

Postby jojopogo22 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:00 pm

So I've started the 21 day meditation with Oprah and Deepak, and I have a question regarding emotional pain.

Near the end of my first two meditations, my emotional pain started to surface. Deepak writes that 1 of 4 things happen during meditation:

1. You have awareness of your mantra or the focus of your meditation.
2. You experience thoughts or sensations.
3. You fall asleep.
4. You enter the stillness between thoughts, commonly referred to as “the gap.”

So when I begin to feel the emotional pain, is that simply a thought/sensation? Should I just return my awareness to the mantra? Will the emotional energy integrate itself with continued focus on the mantra? Or am I denying that pain and just burying it?
jojopogo22

Re: Question on mantra meditation and emotional pain

Postby Phil2 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:45 pm

jojopogo22 wrote:
So when I begin to feel the emotional pain, is that simply a thought/sensation? Should I just return my awareness to the mantra? Will the emotional energy integrate itself with continued focus on the mantra? Or am I denying that pain and just burying it?

Personally I don't practice this kind of mantra meditation ... I meditate without any specific technique, I just remain aware of everything happening inside, starting by body movements (breathe, heart beat, muscular tensions etc.) and also thoughts and emotions ...

As I understand it, meditation has the power to 'unlock' access to painful memories and those should be carefully attended in order to be 'healed' ... in this case mantra could be an obstacle to this emotional healing process ... only when emotional hurts from the past are healed, is it possible to our 'defense system' to be 'released' and drop the compulsive psychological thought process constantly protecting, defending and feeding our 'fake' identity with fears and desires ...

Personally I tend to avoid those 'mechanical' meditation techniques. But of course anyone must choose what works best for him ... there is no "one-size-fits-all" solution ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Re: Question on mantra meditation and emotional pain

Postby Webwanderer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:11 am

jojopogo22 wrote:So when I begin to feel the emotional pain, is that simply a thought/sensation? Should I just return my awareness to the mantra? Will the emotional energy integrate itself with continued focus on the mantra? Or am I denying that pain and just burying it?

Emotional pain is an indicator that your perception is askew of your true nature. This is not to suggest that something of the mantra is wrong. It is to suggest that some issue within you is arising that you are not seeing clearly and hold some judgment of wrongness. Denial is not the way. Clarity of awareness, free of judgment, is.

Accept the pain as a guiding factor towards seeing the issue as would your true nature, your soul self - a perspective where there exists no judgment, only opportunity for consciousness expanding experience. So long as it matters to you in terms of right and wrong, it will become 'material' in your life experience in the form of emotional feedback. That's not a bad thing - unless you judge it so.

Your true nature is in a constant state of well being. To the extent that you are not in a similar state of well being your emotions will give you feedback in the form of some quality of discomfort. Find ways to perceive your circumstances and life events that feel emotionally uplifting or at least sound. The worse you feel emotionally, the further out of alignment you likely are. Likewise, the more emotionally uplifting you feel the more in alignment you likely are. No need to over analyze this, simply explore it for yourself. That is the only way you will know.

WW
Webwanderer

Return to Pain and Suffering