Dealing with anger

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Dealing with anger

Postby jojopogo22 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:26 am

As I understand it, emotions which are not felt are stored in the body until you fully feel them and thus release them. The thing is, I seem to have a strong resistance to feeling certain "negative" emotions, especially apathy and anger. I am so used to suppressing my emotions that I don't know where to start. Sometimes I am successful in feeling them, and it feels great. Most of the time though, I get caught up in "my story" about the emotions, which gets in the way of feeling them.

How can I stay present with my emotions and feel them/release them? Moreover, how do I get them to surface in the first place, when they seem to be stuck? I feel like being present suppresses them instead of allowing them to surface.
jojopogo22

Re: Dealing with anger

Postby Webwanderer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:09 pm

jojopogo22 wrote:How can I stay present with my emotions and feel them/release them? Moreover, how do I get them to surface in the first place, when they seem to be stuck? I feel like being present suppresses them instead of allowing them to surface.

Learn to value them. Your relationship with emotions is one of habit. Create new habits that replace the now automatic tendency to suppress. As to getting them to surface, be cautious. Emotions are generally attached to certain memories. Exposing those painful memories before you're ready can be risky. Make sure you have a clear and familiar relationship of alignment with your true nature. That said, explore some deep, connected, breathing techniques. Rebirthing, holotropic breathwork, yogi breath, all can be helpful. Or just do a breathing meditation to some relaxing music. The connected and consistent breathing is what matters most.

WW
Webwanderer

Re: Dealing with anger

Postby dijmart » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:49 pm

jojopogo22 wrote:How can I stay present with my emotions and feel them/release them? Moreover, how do I get them to surface in the first place, when they seem to be stuck? I feel like being present suppresses them instead of allowing them to surface.

My experience is that you don't have to do anything for them to surface. What I mean is that life situations will have them surface on their own. Something happens that reminds you of a past hurt, even if subconsciously and they surface. It's recognizing the connection when they arise that can be difficult, but if they're not dealt with when they arise, they will arise again at a different time, so you'll get multiple opportunities to release them or see them in a different light. Digging up past memories to feel the emotions isn't wrong, it's just challenging and sometimes is best done with a therapist that can help guide you through if you get stuck in the memory vs. releasing the emotion. Another words, you don't want to make to emotion stronger and then wind up suppressing that too.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Return to Pain and Suffering