Is ignorance truly bliss

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Is ignorance truly bliss

Postby jtightlips21 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:37 pm

Is this just the ego speaking? Since it seems like the more intellectual knowledge we have, the less bliss we have. Like the child who learns that the magical movies are only high tech sets. We like to keep secrets from people, out of fear that if they know us, they will disapprove. In the ego, we tend to keep to a paradise lost illusion, and envy something that seems youthful, and try to reach a state of freedom from some problem. Only to realize that a new one will rise, almost forgetting what you had before was even a problem. Or how we wish to be in different environments, thinking the grass is always greener on the other side. Like thinking that being in the tropics like California, Florida or Hawaii, only to long for seasons
jtightlips21

Re: Is ignorance truly bliss

Postby lmp » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:32 pm

hi,

how do we face our ignorance, if we are interested in doing so? The ignorance of what exactly? To me, having tried to deal with a lot of problems, it is true that close to the core of each one of them there are two basic principals, one is the desire for what is pleasurable and the other is the avoidance of that which is painful. After looking closely at both of them I can see that both principles are made out of what I call myself, meaning: made of my behavior, my thoughts, my feelings, my fears, my joys, my avoidance, my desire etc etc. So to put it differently, ignorance is trying to ignore myself, what I am, while trying to somehow be only the part that I like, the part that feels good.

In not wanting to be what we are there is sorrow, is there not?
lmp

Re: Is ignorance truly bliss

Postby Nilson » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:43 pm

I would disagree with such phrase.

The reason why, is that in my opinion, no form of ignorance can ever be bliss. Ignorance equals violence, ignorance equals suffering. Intelligence is what we have all within us, and its capacity is immense, if we only put our awareness to it. Suffering is a form of ignorance, and can never be product of intelligence. If one finds himself in the process of suffering, then real intelligence would be the end of such suffering.

Putting our awareness to our problematic situations, thoughts and feelings, is allowing a deep intelligence within us to come out free and deal with whatever suffering is there.
Nilson

Return to Pain and Suffering