Pain / stuck energy in the throat

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Pain / stuck energy in the throat

Postby marvin2k » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:40 am

Hi all ,

Every time I try to get beyond thoughts i.e sit in silence / meditate / observe my thoughts I get a strong uncomfortable sensation in my throat like there is a golf ball in there or something like that .

I have a feeling that its a dense site of emotional pain , the location of a lot of pain body energy .

I was wondering if anyone has the same experience and can recommend a way of clearing or resolving this ?

Thanks for reading ,

M
marvin2k

Re: Pain / stuck energy in the throat

Postby Enlightened2B » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:57 pm

Marvin,

What you're describing is something that is very difficult for someone on an internet forum to be able to provide advice for. For all we know, this could potentially be something physiological. That's not meant in any way to scare you that you have something physically 'wrong' with your throat region. But, point being that just from the description you gave, that could potentially be anything.

Now, on the other hand, if you have ruled out anything potentially going on physiologically with your throat region, then you might want to consider that your throat chakra is a very powerful energy portal of the body. If you have felt inhibited, suppressed throughout your life, or you are in the process of trying to create more space for your own unique expression in this life, then the throat chakra could potentially be opening up for you. For many of us, we have felt afraid most of our lives of expressing ourselves because of the subconscious programming and conditioning we were exposed to for so long and as a result, we have felt that we were afraid of people not accepting us for who we are and therefore, we never fully expressed ourselves out of fear of rejection. So, perhaps your throat chakra area is being activated during meditation and there could be an emotional focal point in that very area. My pain body over the years has always manifested in my solar plexus region and abdomen and hence why I have had a plethora of GI related health conditions throughout my life. Of course, I could be totally wrong here, but just some ideas to consider.

But, I think if any of us here on this forum were to attempt to give you advice, we would need more information from you.

Hope this helps
Enlightened2B

Postby ashley72 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:45 pm

This is more likely than not...an obsessive compulsive or positive feedback loop. Once you've become obsessive with something unpleasant (nervous response), in this case a lumpy throat, by not wanting it to be present you unwittingly make it more pronounced. By struggling against autonomous nervous responses (sensations and feelings) we can make them more persistent.... particularly if the nervous sensation is a symptom of nervousness.

This is because the output cycle feeds back into the input cycle.

The way to overcome this is accept you find the sensation unpleasant but your ok with it being present and letting it be, by accepting the nervous sensation you stop feeding output cycle back into the input cycle so eventually it will pass without getting more persistence.

The old saying, "what you resist will persist" holds true here.

Most people don't understand "feedback" is central to nearly everything a human being does externally & internally for communication of signals. You have two main types positive & negative for regulation of the signals. Positive feedback causes growth & decay. Negative feedback causes stabilisation.

Meditation is all about creating Negative feedback, you want to normalise your signals or dampen extreme black & white thinking & extreme emotions. Your trying to promote the middle way.

The way to do this is to mindfully be attentive of your thoughts, feelings & emotions without resisting them. Just accept any unwanted thoughts, feelings & sensation like a mother lovingly accepts her infant doing annoying things. The. Mother knows the infant can't help it, in the same way your thoughts, feelings & sensations can't help it... they just occur because of past experiences.

Techniques like distraction or avoidance don't work to promote negative feedback. The only way to promote negative feedback when it comes to internal thoughts, feelings & sensations is to accept rather than resist. To expose rather than avoid. You can never ever stop unwanted or unpleasant thoughts, sensations & feelings arising because they are completely governed by your past experiences, in the present moment you can only accept them & in doing so stop making them more symptomatic.
ashley72

Postby anonymousUser » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:12 pm

ashley72 wrote:Most people don't understand "feedback" is central to nearly everything a human being does externally & internally for communication of signals. You have two main types positive & negative for regulation of the signals. Positive feedback causes growth & decay. Negative feedback causes stabilisation.
Is there anything that is worth positive feedback? Or is positive feedback always going to create more chaos in internal life?
anonymousUser

Postby helloiamhere » Sat May 27, 2017 10:49 pm

I have been dealing with a similar thing. Any updates or anything you've learnt on how to deal with this would be useful! Thanks for all replies here, too :)
helloiamhere

Postby randomguy » Sun May 28, 2017 6:29 pm

I was wondering if anyone has the same experience and can recommend a way of clearing or resolving this ?

Yes, I have had experiences similar to what you describe in the throat and other areas. If it is similar to what I have experienced then you are noticing unresolved energy that is not otherwise noticed when attention is heavy with thoughts and when the conditioned patterns of body-mind are at play.
On resolving it, just notice it and keep noticing it. The intelligence inherent of the body knows how to resolve it. It is a matter of handing it over so to speak. Don't force anything but allow the unravelling.
There may be some fear, some fireworks, some odd sensations, some physical reactions in unexpected and related places. And it may take a while as in you may come back to it again ond again. Or it may lead you to other tensions as well as bring attention to some unchallenged assumptions, some thoughts believed or some painful memories.
Let the body work it out in it's own time.
Sometimes it is helpful to gently ask/explore what the experience might be like without it, without the long held thought-reaction dynamic, to open the door so to speak to provide the space for the energy to move on.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Return to Pain and Suffering