A period of peace, followed by another pain body attack

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

A period of peace, followed by another pain body attack

Postby ARose91 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:29 pm

I have always had anxiety as a child, but more recently, I have struggled with a constant sense of dread and fear for the past year. A few months ago I discovered Eckhart's books and have had some sort of awakening where for the first time in a year, I felt no dread or fear for 10 days. I thought those emotions and thoughts were gone for good, but out of nowhere, I experienced an intense series of panic attacks whilst on the bus. I struggle with derealization (have done since I was a child) and I believe this is linked to the panic attacks.

The next day I was fine, but today I woke up and felt that heavy feeling of dread, unease, terror. I tried to accept it but it was so intense and I was quickly taken over by extreme negative thoughts and a feeling of utter despair and mental anguish.

Will I be in this state for the rest of my life? I don't know how it started, i believe my pain body was dormant for many years, but last year the feelings of dread started, and in July of this year I had a dark night of the soul experience.

I would be very grateful for any advice.
ARose91

Re: A period of peace, followed by another pain body attack

Postby ashley72 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:03 am

You posted almost the exact same request for advice a few weeks ago. Why start another thread?

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth.info/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13741&p=126991#p126991

But for the record. Panic disorder is a treatable disorder. I use to suffer, followed this advice and no longer fear the fear anymore.

http://www.anxietycoach.com/panicdisorder.html
ashley72

Postby maaref » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:13 am

ARose91 wrote:I have always had anxiety as a child, but more recently, I have struggled with a constant sense of dread and fear for the past year. A few months ago I discovered Eckhart's books and have had some sort of awakening where for the first time in a year, I felt no dread or fear for 10 days. I thought those emotions and thoughts were gone for good, but out of nowhere, I experienced an intense series of panic attacks whilst on the bus. I struggle with derealization (have done since I was a child) and I believe this is linked to the panic attacks.

The next day I was fine, but today I woke up and felt that heavy feeling of dread, unease, terror. I tried to accept it but it was so intense and I was quickly taken over by extreme negative thoughts and a feeling of utter despair and mental anguish.

Will I be in this state for the rest of my life? I don't know how it started, i believe my pain body was dormant for many years, but last year the feelings of dread started, and in July of this year I had a dark night of the soul experience.

I would be very grateful for any advice.

I believe you fell into the trap of making a final statement that all your panic attacks (which are strong feelings / thoughts feeding on each other in a loop) are gone for good.

Obviously feelings and thoughts would not go away, and when you laid down your guard, the same thoughts/emotions started raising again. So, avoid making final statements ever!

The truth about consciousness is that you should always be aware of the stillness/empty space in your and all things around you, rather than focusing on your thoughts and emotions or judging the situations for that matter. Now, emotions and thoughts may occur in the stillness, which is completely natural, but you should be in a relaxed state knowing that they only appear in the consciousness. This way you would not be entangled by these feels/emotions.

Needless to say, you cannot be a champion in one day. You have to start gradually by introducing moments of stillness in yourself (meditation, deep breathing, focusing on an object, inner body ...etc). Gradually you should try to experience the stillness whenever you can.

With time, you would always see the consciousness in all things no matter where you are and what you do.

Hope this helps. :D
maaref

Postby ashley72 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:37 am

Arose91,

I can gleen some things about your mental state by just analysing your own writing. In your post you use extreme expressions... always, constant, first time, no dread or fear, gone for good, out of nowhere, intense, heavy feelings, terror, taken over, extreme, utter despair... etc

When we over-rely on cognitive distortions, we usually interpret events in such a way that fuels emotions such as anxiety, depression, or anger. All-or-nothing thinking is one such distortion. All-or-nothing thinking refers to thinking in extremes. You are either a success or a failure.

People that think in binary logic, 0 or 1 with no shades of grey... are more likely to give up, and fall apart when things don't go their way straight away.

Try and be mindful of your self-talk and own writings. If you see that you are using all or nothing thinking for certain situations try and come up with some more in between alternatives that aren't so extreme.

My advise is go get some professional help from someone. There a lot people out their teaching cognitive behaviour therapy and I'm sure you will alleviate the daily anxiety in your life with some proper help.

Also be wary of the advice which isn't backed up by the medical literature, it's not all beneficial... and some advice might even be counter-productive to some anxiety suffers.
ashley72

Postby ARose91 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:55 pm

Thank you so much. I have been trying to be more conscious throughout the day. My pain body seems to be very strong, I feel a restless energy at night.
ARose91

Postby ashley72 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:31 am

I suspect your all-or-nothing thinking tendancies has led you to focus too much on the negative aspects.

Check this article out: it offers practical ways for expanding an all-or-nothing thinking style to a more healthy balance.

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2015/08/12/5-ways-to-expand-all-or-nothing-thinking/
ashley72

Postby maaref » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:01 pm

ARose91 wrote:Thank you so much. I have been trying to be more conscious throughout the day. My pain body seems to be very strong, I feel a restless energy at night.

See yourself above thoughts and emotions, like clouds coming and going without being entangled by them. Consciousness is (with) you wherever you are. It is the only absolute truth. Everything else (thoughts/emotions) is nothing and have no power in comparison.
maaref

Return to Pain and Suffering