Heavy pain body when I wake up in the morning

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering
My Ninth Life

Heavy pain body when I wake up in the morning

Post by My Ninth Life » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:16 pm

I'm fairly new to Eckhart's teachings. I have read "The Power of Now" and "A New Earth" and I have begun a radical transformation. I do a fairly good job during most of the day catching my mind when it starts to take over and coming back to the now, and I can usually recognize my pain body trying to get a foothold and dissolve it by returning to the now, though I'm not always successful. Like I said, I'm pretty new to this and still strengthening my awareness.

My biggest problem with the pain body is when I first awake. It takes me a while to focus on the now because my mind wants to start thinking forward to what I need to do that day. I almost seem to forget that I am not my mind. I think part of this may also be that my pain body may be working out the past in my vivid dream life, like it's been starved during the day and needs my subconscious dreams to make up for its lake of attention during waking hours.

Does anyone else's experience this? I'm wondering what others might do when they awake to dissolve the pain body. My current schedule doesn't allow time for morning mediation, but I'm open to altering my routine if that's what it takes.

Sighclone

Re: Heavy pain body when I wake up in the morning

Post by Sighclone » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:27 pm

Welcome to the forum, My Ninth Life.

Regardless of ETs dramatic awakening, most people slog through many hours of meditation before they become less drawn in to the big thought-stream. Just the cognitive knowledge that you are not your mind is not sufficient to shut down that engine...I say this so you don't despair that you are not "cured" of the 'false self' at an early stage. Do explore other teachers like Adyashanti, or even the Kriya Yoga techniques of Yogananda. Momentary peace in meditation is important as a reminder that all of this spiritual progress is real. It is important also to accept where you are and to not expect overnight change. Explore the posts here, too. Thanks for joining! Oh, and check out the Science and Nonduality Conferences, both in Europe and California (scienceandnonduality.com)

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

My Ninth Life

Post by My Ninth Life » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:47 pm

Thank you, Andy. I look forward to to the Science and Nonduality conferences you mentioned, as at this early stage I seem to have an unquenchable thirst for learning other ways to look inward.

I have tried Kriya meditation, having recently attended a class at Sadhguru' Isha Foundation in Tennessee. That was the most valuable thing I took away from the visit (of which I have very mixed up feelings). I will continue to make that a part of my mediation practice.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:07 pm

There are many meditation paths and techniques. If something is not working or is a negative experience, try something else...your experience is the final authority.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Louis More

Post by Louis More » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:29 am

Welcome

I going through this every morning too, and if the day is too busy the night is a little full of thoughts too.
The interesting part is that when I re-read the power of now I understood better what Eckhart meant by saying to watch the thoutgh.
My work demands a lot, sometimes I start the day planning. So I accept the the fact that I think more in the morning, I watch these thoughts, I work with then. We have to accept that in the NOW we can have thoughts.
The most important part is not to wander in these thoughts, if we are present they don't turn into mental noise, and if they do turn let your presence take place, just the fact to recognize then as noise you're already present.

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:26 am

Have you ever tried a quick 'presence wash' while still in bed?

You're obviously becoming aware that you're jumping into thoughts, no matter where/when you want to return focus to 'now', for me I signal it with breathing out, which instantly relaxes.

Then I take a few moments to 'wash' - close my eyes if they're open and scan my body and its relation to whatever it is touching, e.g the bed covers from head to toe - appreciation for/in the senses, - what am I hearing, touching, smelling. Then open my eyes and look anew, as if I've never seen my room before, appreciating anything my sight falls upon, then stretch luxuriously, and get up still present and appreciating. It takes no more than a few minutes.

You're right that the mind would tell you that you don't have time for this - it is a luxury - and realising that you can choose this indulgence makes it absolutely delicious, and, will change your state.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:43 pm

I do an "inner body scan" regularly...very comforting! Thanks, Jen!

EdinburghGirl

Post by EdinburghGirl » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:21 am

I think Eckhart Tolle is doing such great work. It dawned on me that he, and many of the new age gurus, are modernizing an ancient teaching. Tibetan Buddhism contains not only the whole teachings of life, but how to help us with the issues that arise. When I read your post it reminded me of an article I read. It is quite long, as a pdf file. I hope it helps.
One of their remedies when the pain gets unbearable, is to eat meat to ground yourself. Read the article.
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _Buddhists
🙏