End Depression Now

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

End Depression Now

Postby Webwanderer » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:42 pm

Our subconscious mind is full of assumptions about life and identifying characteristics that define who we believe we are. These assumptions are not generally available to our thinking processes. But taken together they form the lens through which we view all the events of life. Sometimes one assumption may color the lens more than others depending on the stimulus at hand, but all are available to the self-sense when the status quo of independent mind is threatened.

From early childhood the mind incorporated assumptions about who it is. If those assumptions included the now mature unconscious belief: “I am not good enough” or “I can’t do it” or “I am bad” or “I am not loved” or any one of a thousand versions of this, then every success in life will be discounted and every failure will be magnified.

Negative assumptions about self identity may linger throughout our lives creating anxiety and feelings of unworthiness. Who wouldn’t feel depressed with unworthiness as an ever-present condition of our life experience? Any of the normal difficulties or life would just be seen as more evidence of failure and add to feelings of inadequacy.

It is one thing to look at a given negative thought that may come up in our day. It’s quite another to ferret out depression that is generated by assumptions that are so fundamental to our minds that they are no longer even recognizable. But be sure, if there is depression present, then there are unconscious assumptions that support it.

Think of the identifying qualities of the words “I am”. Even in this world of form, what follows the words “I am” (good, bad, dumb, smart, etc.), steers a flow of energy into making the identifying word appear to be reality. Put it on auto pilot and out of sight in the subconscious mind and it becomes a lasting and persistent debilitater. Such assumptions will rob one of any peace and joy one may find soon after we dare to allow it.

So where does that leave us? What is to be done? How is this overcome?

To those on this board who suffer from chronic depression, please respond. You can be free of depression. How can one get free of false assumptions? “Physician, heal thyself.”

The teachings of non-duality are full of pointers, but no one can do anything for you other than point. You are however, made of the same Essential Being that is shared by all. The greatest teachers that have ever lived are not more that you are. They are just free of false beliefs. Get clear on this.

Live Free
Webwanderer

ok

Postby innermusiq » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:41 am

Ok,

I must be the exception, but that is a negative so it doesn't matter what I say. I have had very deep NOW experiences and it does not help depression at all, only takes the stress of it down a notch.

Healer heal thyself, isn't that from the bible,
Yet Jesus was known as a man of sorrows, was he depressed also ??

But yes your post makes perfect sense on paper.
innermusiq

oops

Postby innermusiq » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:51 am

Webwanderer, just to clarify,

my above post is not meant to be dismissive at all it may have come across that way. Thanks for your input, its just that my thoughtless state in the Now has been very long at times on a daily basis and it has not helped depression or the heaviness and burden of life yet I can see that there is actually nothing wrong in my life, I cannot understand what it is, so it must be an illness not purely down to thought.

I feel it my awareness without any thought of it.
innermusiq

Postby weopposedeception » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:04 am

I certainly believe that unconscious assumptions, belief systems, are a factor in depression. I also think that genetics plays a big part. For example, I started to experience depression at the same time in my lifespan that my mother did. Unfortunately she didn't survive it and neither did my twin brother. I don't buy the neurotransmitter model that big pharma uses to push it's drugs because no evidence has ever been found to support it. I think it's more complex than that and may be a combination of genetics and early childhood experiences.
I don't think for a moment that spiritual practice is going to make anyone's depression vanish overnight. Eckhart would address this matter with something like: "well if you don't mind the depression being there, what would happen?". Also to become aware of the thoughtforms that are feeding the depression. It doesn't matter which came first, the depression or the thoughtforms, consciousness is the first step in making any progress. If drugs can provide some relief they may be used as an adjunct.
weopposedeception

Postby Blenderhead » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:12 am

A depression can bring one to realize more easily, that no concepts holds the truth. Because it becomes very difficult to identify with a teaching (beliefs) as the truth, if it does not make you happy. So there is a potential positive side to a depression combined with a spiritual teaching, because the depression will keep the mind in a disidentified state, so that the nonconceptual intelligence can arise from within.
Blenderhead

Re: End Depression Now

Postby aquarius123esoteric » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:35 pm

For anyone who is looking for help with overcoming depression, the following are highly recommendeD:

 ‘Depression – the Way out of your Prison’ by Dr. Dorothy Rowe
 ‘Beyond Fear’ by Dr. Dorothy Rowe
 ‘The Courage to Live’ by Dr. Dorothy Rowe

These three items are firmly at the top of my book list. Reading them, many years ago, truly was a life-changing experience for me. This did not come about through bright flashes of enlightening; it was a gradually awakening understanding within me that we always have choices in life; and that we do not have to put up with circumstances that are no longer right for us and possibly never were. Over some time, this led me into the realisation that this freedom of choice brings with it the responsibility of acting on our knowledge and learning to choose wisely. To me, the greatest beauty and attraction of Dr. Rowe’s writings always has been that she does not come across as one of those ‘oh, so spiritual’ writers. If anything, she is the opposite. Her writings are in a class of their own; although they are of a deeply spiritual nature, she insists on telling her readers that this is not so. And she is right; on the surface of things, her books are not spiritual ones. It’s hard to explain, but if you have never read any of her works, you really have missed out on something.

With love and light,
Aquarius
So long as this you fail to see:
That death precedes re-birth!
A gloomy guest you’ll always be,
Upon this darkling Earth.

Goethe
aquarius123esoteric

Postby weopposedeception » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:08 am

I would say that spiritual work has softened my depression somewhat but it still exists. I think drugs are a cover-up and I have never believed in the "chemical imbalance" theory which has never been proven anyway. The drugs will cause your serotonin receptors to down-regulate and it takes a long careful taper to wean yourself off of them.
weopposedeception

Postby Onceler » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:26 am

weopposedeception wrote: The drugs will cause your serotonin receptors to down-regulate and it takes a long careful taper to wean yourself off of them.

What do you mean by this. What does it mean to have the serotonin receptors down-regulate? I thought the drugs caused more serotonin to be available because the receptors shut down? Is that the same thing?

I hear that SSRIs are about 30-40% effective for depression?

Thanks.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby entelechy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:45 am

One of my close friends just phoned me 2 weeks ago and told me she had been diagnosed as clinically depressed. She earned her Masteral degree 2 yrs ago and had been trying ever since to land on her ideal job. But all she managed is jump from one job to another; all of them are minimum-waged jobs.

When I was talking to her about her condition, I found myself wanting to "get her out" of there as soon as possible. Is this a way of judging her? I found myself telling her about all sorts of solutions, like my recent realizations, about the Work of Byron Katie, about being present in the Now, etc etc.

She seemed interested, but not interested enough to find out more. We booked a date to meet up, she agreed, then she cancelled at the last minute. Makes me wonder if Anthony de Mello was indeed right when he said that many people who have problems dont actually want to get rid of their problems. Many people who are up to their necks in deep sh*t actually approach therapists in order to prevent other people from "making waves". They dont want to get out of their miseries, he says. Instead, they want their external environment to change, in order to accommodate them. How interesting is that?

It seems true in her case. I noticed that she perpetuates her own problems, and wonder if she is even aware of this. Should I point this out to her? For example, she is seeing a life coach and a counsellor, which costs her almost half of her salary every month! So she whines about this and it gets her even deeper in depression. I told her about a free service she could take advantage of, but she just ignored it, for some reason; Her partner is earning enough money to support both of them and have a extremely comfortable lifestyle. So he had told her to not pressure herself into getting a job, but she did take on a job that she hated anyway. Now she's judging herself for being a minimum-waged worker (isnt it interesting how we judge ourself based on our means of living). When she started seeing a life coach she was disappointed that she had to do lots of work, as if surprised that the life coach wasn't solving her problems for her.

I also noticed that since her doctor had diagnosed her as depressed, she is now identified herself with it. I wonder if she constantly run in her mind the thought, "I am depressed" and so acts that way. It's like a label that she has now deeply stuck with.

Anyway..at first I found it a bit uncomfortable to hold back and just let her be. I really wanted to do anything and everything to help her. But eventually I let go of the desire to "fix" her. I learned to trust that her process is her process, and if being depressed is her current path, then that's ok, too. Of course, I have made it clear to her that if she needs me for anything I am there for her.
Join me in my journey towards inner and outer success at http://www.thewayofmoney.com
entelechy

Postby Onceler » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:02 pm

In my experience you are doing the right thing--listening and maybe asking some questions...better for her to ask you some day about your apparent peace with life than for you to tell her unsolicited.

I have had the same experience with people although not in as bad shape as your friend. I know if they read ET or Byron Katie they would "get it" and it would change their lives, but they don't seem to do it, even if I give them some books.

It is the same with many of the teens I work with in counseling. They are angry and don't want to hear about things that will give them another perspective on their anger or themselves.

Two psychological terms come to mind: "secondary gain", meaning that people get something positive, usually attention or control out of a negative condition like anger or depression. The other is "learned helplessness", the condition of being unable to make changes because for so many times in the past, perhaps childhood, attempted changes ended in failure. This is very tied to negative thinking patterns that pervasively predict the worst outcome.

Live in peace, presence, and joy. She will either get it or need to reflect longer....
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby aquarius123esoteric » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:21 pm

She will get it when the time is right for her to do so. When the pupil is ready, the teacher will be found. God and the Angels are taking care of her, just the same as they are doing with all of us - even if we don't believe in them, they do! With love - Aquarius
aquarius123esoteric

Postby sailing » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:29 am

Hi all,

It seems like I have something to say on this topic too. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder (manic depression) 17 years ago. I am now 53, so have been dealing with this for a long time. My first suicidal depression occurred at 21 years of age and was not diagnosed until I was (53-17). There is a lot that I know. But briefly - as far as meds - if I don't take the mood stabilizers, I become psychotic, so because of that, I have no choice, trust me I tried going off and indeed thats what happened. I do not advocate for meds, nor am I against them. Each person must make that decision for themselves. Anti-depressents do not do a thing for me and I refuse anti-psychotics because they make you soooo fat.

Today I had an appointment with my psychiatrist who treats my disorder and he told me he was just at a conference where they showed MRI? pictures of brains. The pictures of the mentally ill brains show areas that are actually shrunken and nerve damage results.

As far as identifying with the illness, you can over-identify with it or you can under-identify with it. Both are harmful. I have done it both ways so I know. With over-identification comes the poor me's and I can't do this and I can't do that, waa, waa, waa, so you feed it and indeed the depression gets worse. The danger of under-identifying for me, was that I put the illness so out of my awareness(denial) that I didn't acknowledge the stresses that had built up (the death of a loved one, a lost job, and three other things I don't remember right now). Stress is the trigger for an episode. I had continued with the meds, thats automatic, but I didn't rest or take care of myself properly because I forgot all about the illness, during a prolonged period of wellness. Prolonged means 6 months. Anyway, one day, someone did something very minor that made me feel extremely worthless and that this world was just too painful to live in. At that moment I went home to die. My first suicide attempt came on sudden impulse and was like a freight train that took me over. Within 15 minutes of that person looking at me the wrong way, I had gone to the liquor store(I'm not a drinker) bought a 26 oz. bottle of liquor (why make it harsh with whiskey?) and downed that along with two bottles of sleeping pills. It was that sudden and I thought I was handling things prettey well before that moment.
(I ran out of room before I could sign off - so here's my farewell and thanks for listening)
So there needs to be a balance of knowing you are susceptible to recurring episodes, taking care of yourself, but truly enjoying life when you come out the other side. Is my point coming across? The Power of Now is working miracles in my life but there are these dark times that come too. I believe healing will intensify in that area too, as long as I keep practicing, listening to my inner voice and being in the stillness when I am well and able.
"We are sailing, stormy waters, to be near you, to be free."
Rod Stewart
sailing

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:36 pm

An excellent post sailing, a real contribution that adds a little more clarity to a difficult condition. The beauty of PON is that it leads one to a perspective (of clear presence) that allows one to make a distinction between ones natural state of clarity, and the "me" sense of separation and isolation.

You write well. :)
Webwanderer

Postby heidi » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:34 pm

Thanks for writing, sailing. Your honest acceptance of your situation is clear and without layers of cloudiness, and I'm sure a help to others dealing with depression. Saying yes to what is is where healing happens. :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby weopposedeception » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:57 am

Reply to Onceler's question. The drugs block the re-uptake of serotonin so that more of it hangs out in the synapse. The serotonin receptors (not the re-uptake) shut down in response to the excess of serotonin. When the drug is withdrawn they need time to up-regulate themselves back to normal.
weopposedeception

Next

Return to Pain and Suffering