Not noticing improvements (anxiety)

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Re: Not noticing improvements (anxiety)

Postby garuda » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:07 am

righthererightnow wrote:.... a panic attack like the one suffered socially last night (first time in ages, I always feel very self-concious around this group of people, but last night girls were involved as well and it was worse than ever felt before) what is the best way to go about dealing with this emotion?

This kind of goes along with what the others have said, but has a more practical "trial and error" approach.

What’s the worst that could happen if you feel the panic, then turn to girl beside you and be honest in this very present moment by telling her, “I am feeling extremely anxious? I feel that everyone is looking at me, judging me. I really feel insecure in these social situations. And I don’t know what to do about it.”

Then, what if she said, “I too feel uncomfortable in certain social situations when I don’t know the people around me very well. I used to have anxiety attacks too. But when I looked at them squarely in the face and accepted the discomfort by honestly admitting it to others around me, I pleasantly discover that they too have experienced this. And I realized that all those people weren’t concerned about, and have been in the same boat as me. Then the attacks lost their power and vanished. Isn’t that weird?” she exclaims with an endearing smile on her face.

Then that's the ice breaker. You have a pretty female ally sitting next to you. Who may very well share the same foibles as you. And all it took was some honesty and a little courage. You might want to try it. We all have much more experiences in common than we think… both men and women alike.

And what’s the very worst that could happen if you try this? Well... that lovely young lady may become so moved by your courage, honesty, openness, and emotional availability… that she later falls in love with you. THEN YOU’RE REALLY IN TROUBLE! Then, the panic attacks will seem like a stroll in the park, in comparison. :mrgreen: Just kidding, ladies...JUST KIDDING!
g.
Recognize present awareness......... rest in that awareness..........don’t become distracted.
garuda

Re: Not noticing improvements (anxiety)

Postby Sighclone » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:17 am

So if the whole team refuses to play, it does a couple of pitiful bounces and then stops, and the game is over and everybody goes about their business, which will be another volleyball game of some sort, like maybe trying to be present. Hehe.

Really funny, poignant image, enigma... :)

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Previous

Return to Pain and Suffering