Spiritual Path and Psychosis

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Spiritual Path and Psychosis

Postby marcus532 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:28 pm

Hello Guys,
has anyone here experience with the spiritual dimension and psychosis? I am suffering from this disease and I had some successes with the spiritual path.
Getting in touch with the spiritual dimension helped me a lot.

Still I find it difficult to disidentify from the split off self...from the ego it is kind of easy...the schizophrenic part is the problem. I have made good progress, but it is coming back. It is very challenging to remain disidentified.

'Has any of you managed this disease on the spiritual path?
Medication is no option for me right know...I am searching for a spiritual solution for the challenge...yeah, i take it as a spiritual challenge...;-)

please no instructions that psychosis/schizophrenia is a physical disease. "Mind over Matter" or "Awareness over matter" suits better for me.

greetings from germany
please excuse me if my language is not that fluent...still practicing
marcus
marcus532

Re: Spiritual Path and Psychosis

Postby Webwanderer » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:50 pm

HI marcus, welcome to the forum. Some of our more psychology familiar members may suggests some things as they check in.

My sense of it is that the clearer your recognition of Essential being (that is the active awareness of your true nature through experiential presence), as distinct and prerequisite to anything constituted of thought, would be helpful. The important thing is to overcome the attachment to thinking processes with consistant experience in thought-free being. Recognize over and over, your true identity in being as compared to one that exists only through habits of thought. It will likely be necessary to log some time in thought-free clarity in order for a sense of essential being to deepen into a genuine realization. Meanwhile be prepared to drop anything you may think as being the ego mind attempting to strengthen its hold on perspective.

It's something we all must come to terms with to one degree or another, depending on the strength and nature of our attachment to thought.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby tod » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:35 am

Welcome to the forum marcus. Your english is very good.

You say that it is kind of easy to disidentify from the ego. Do you do that by being now?

And when you are now, there is nothing to identify with is there? No ego, no "split off self", no problems, including schizophrenic ones.

You talk of remaining disidentified. How to do this when anything that remains is identified, recognised, known in time?

There are two different types of now: the passing present and the eternal present. These two could be respectively called, in your terms, psychosis and the spiritual dimension. In psychosis, there are various levels of insanity, some relatively sane :)

With best wishes,
tod

Postby marcus532 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:54 pm

Thanks for the answers.

The thing is that the false self finds ways to trick me into identification again...so assume that i am present over the day, in the night while i am asleep it catches me again. This is painful, because my false self is relatively destructable...-> schizophrenic.

I think i am making progress in the shift of consciousness, away from the false self (the ego and the schizophrenic self) towards being. When i am feeling bad it helps me tremndously to step out of the selfs. But as I mentioned, the two catch me when i am unconscious while I am asleep.

Do you have a solution for that...some kind of anchor?????

Over the day I am pretty aware I think...at least I am making progress with that.

@tod
In psychosis, there are various levels of insanity, some relatively sane

Could you elaborate on that? :-)
marcus532

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:14 pm

Marcus, there are any number of approaches and pointers to clear presence. Seek out and apply those that you find helpful. Remember however that the frustration and anger one feels in falling out of presence is itself born of ego. Don't waste energy in holding on to those moments by condemning what only the ego judges as failures. Be patient, be consistant and be gentle with yourself. There are no deadlines to meet. There is only the flow of life moving through this eternal moment.

Check out this short video, as one example of useful insight, on the distinction between ego identity and beingness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA8tDzK_kPI

WW
Webwanderer

Postby karmarider » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:53 pm

I have experience with depression and anxiety--not with psychosis. As you point out, in these illnesses, it is perhaps easier to peek behind the ego. But WW says it well: let go of any special abilities or frustration--these are judgments of the ego. Use the pointers that resonate with you and which you find the easiest.
Last edited by karmarider on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
karmarider

Postby tod » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:35 am

Do you have a solution for that...some kind of anchor?????

<snip>

@tod

In psychosis, there are various levels of insanity, some relatively sane

Could you elaborate on that?

In the way that I am using the word psychosis here, I am intending to mean any overlay over the peace of the eternal present. This overlay is mental, created by thought, is a disorder or disturbance obscuring the eternal present, and it is severe as any overlay is an obstruction to the seeing of the eternal present.
Once the eternal present has been seen, it may be 'held onto' and the passing present seen 'under' this.

So, if sanity is defined as pure being, being undefined, the eternal present; and severe insanity as being defined, unable to see/be the eternal present, lost in the passing present; then being relatively sane would be being able to relate, be in harmony with, both the eternal and the passing present.

As seen here, the eternal present is the anchor. This is not some complex/defined thing (ie something in the mind), it is seen through gently and repeatedly returning to the present moment, ie fully being, being fully here, now.
tod

Postby marcus532 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:00 pm

@tod:
I understand....thats exactly what it feels like right now: too tittle contact to being.
I mean, I have made contact with being and I can cause it on purpose...oh feels good :-).
But as I pointed out before it is lost shortly after I stick to it on purpose...
Thats sad, but as the previous authors pointed out, I also think it is a progress and needs patience, consistency and repetitive experience.
In other words: shifting consciousness from the identification of form to being/the formless/the witness.
Or in other words: Getting to know who I really am.

I think the main obstacle for me is my extraordinarily heavy painbody...it is like a black hole, it soaks everything into it...it tries to hide though.

In the last days I also found out the predominant emotion of the painbody...it is guilt.

What is still not clear is if the schizophrenic self is part of the painbody, if it is part of the self or it is indeed an autonomous self.
At this point I would say it is a part of the painbody as well as an autonomous self... It feels like there was something too heavy in the painbody, too heavy to be maintained in there. Also there was not enough awareness to transcent some of this emotion.
So it seperated into an own self. The Painbody-Self if you want to.
Awareness was very weak, as far as I can remember. It required some decent practice to get in touch with it. I think i was pretty stuck in the self since I was a kid. There was some kind of imbalance between awareness and ego i think.
Some of us are born with a heavy ego already, I might have been one of them.

As hard it is, somehow this is an exiting journey. It feels good to finally got some control with the tools and the knowledge over a life that was completely of balance ...
maybe there is a way to heal the split, even this heavy one ;-)

-> "base metal into gold" :P
greets, marcus
marcus532

Return to Pain and Suffering