Physical and Emotional Aches and Pains

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Physical and Emotional Aches and Pains

Postby grithix » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:06 am

Greetings!

I have been doing this work for around a year now. The first time I read "The Power of Now" it resonated with me in a way no other book had previously. Since then, I have had some dark times, but also some periods of intense presence. Or so I thought...

Roughly two months ago I had been feeling presence more consistently than I ever had before. My body had seemed to have been physically healing itself, and I felt very clear. Then something changed... I got into a relationship. Ever since, I have consistently been in emotional and physical pain. Much of that seems to be due to pain body issues surrounding relationships and intimacy, as well as hearing ego come up loud and clear. I am fortunate that my partner is also doing this work and is able to accept where I am to a high degree. However, the physical aches and pains coupled with the intense emotional energy behind my thoughts have left me feeling crippled and hopeless. Physically, my joints all ache, I get periodic muscle spasms, my face has begun breaking out in a way it never has before. Mentally, I question whether or not any of this "now" stuff is actually true. If I've ever actually experienced anything... If there was even anything to be experienced in the first place! I wonder if all of this is some big lie and if this "presence" and "now" stuff is just some concoction by some crazy people that happen to all be the same kind of crazy! Also, I feel very lonely. Who can I talk to about this? My partner is great and all, but it is hard to listen to him because of the situation. I feel like I can't really get input from anyone I know about this because I don't know anyone with experience in this sort of thing. I guess I must not have completely lost my trust in the path if I'm on here looking for help, but I'm not sure I even know where it is anymore. I want to throw in the towel and stop doing this work, but I can't.

If anyone could share their experiences or words of wisdom, I would greatly appreciate it!
grithix

Re: Physical and Emotional Aches and Pains

Postby Sighclone » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:37 am

Welcome grithix. I think you'll find some help here. Start by getting a copy of John Welwood's "Toward a Psychology of Awakening." I see abebooks.com has many. The last third of that book discusses waking up and relationships. Next, get a copy of "Listening from the Heart of Silence" edited by John Prendergast. It is a collection of essays by practicing psychotherapists who are deeply familiar with the process of awakening, and their phone numbers are at the back of the book. And it is spectacularly well written.

There are several wise folks who struggle with Eckhart's definition of the "pain body." Of course, feelings are "felt" in the body, and pain is one of them. But his sketchy definitions leave me a little bit dissatisfied. Is this some kind of living being? Is it therefore to be resisted? Accepted? Starved? All those actions done intentionally?

We do know it can be deconstructed -- oops, another book: "Loving What Is" by Byron Katie. She has a method for addressing felt beliefs... and "The Sedona Method" by Dworskin (book is enough for a good technique -- seminars optional in my opinion.)

I remember getting stuck on Eckhart until I started reading elsewhere and realized his approach, his pointers are just one small subset of a large grouping. Others here may give a less academic, librarian-style response... :)

Good luck!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby letitgo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Hello Grithix,

I don't log on that often and found your post... then I realized how specifically your situation relates to my wife's physical/spiritual struggles - which are inseparable.

Andy has given you some very good resources to look into. I also very specifically agree with his premise that one teaching sometimes bogs you down, and virtually "any" alternative thoughts you can generate by way of bending your mind's focus to another area can be incredibly helpful.

Back to your physical state. Throughout the last five years of spiritually morphing, my wife has met every new awareness with a mirrored physical manifestation of that release. In other words, as she released spiritually, the area of her body that "held" that false belief, (i.e. any belief that delineates you), would feel a great deal of physical pain. Even though she had - already had - her awakening on the particular awareness, and her thoughts and feelings had changed... the body is heavy and a much denser energy. There was always, every time, for five years, a physical pain relating to her release. They are much less intense now, but she can always "locate" the spot within that the belief was held. (As I believe we all can to some degree).

Deepak Chopra said that this spiritual journey is like being pregnant, it's a glorious thing... but there's no going back. My advice, would be to "slow down". Be incredibly gentle with yourself. There's no time frame. You spoke of very energetic feelings with your emotions and this kind of emotional energy can cause things to be quite intense. Give yourself a break. Take your time. Your new awarenesses don't have to be so intense!

Sincerely, Norm
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
letitgo

Postby grithix » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:16 am

Thank you both for your help.
Sighclone,
Thank you so much for your input. The first two books you recommended are completely new to me and sound very exciting! I have looked at Byron Katie and the Sedona Method somewhat, but not really in depth. I've done a bit of housecleaning, so to speak, using other methods very similar to those. My biggest difficulty has been being aware of my hidden beliefs, yet not being in acceptance of them and able to let them go. As my awareness of ego/false belief issues has grown, it has also become more painful to hear them attacking myself and people I love. I know it's not personal, but sometimes it can be overwhelming. Perhaps patience and compassion for myself are the keys. I look forward to reading and re-reading your recommendations!

Norm,
What you said about your wife really resonates with me. I have definitely felt pains around false beliefs - though I would say for me that I more acutely feel the pains as I become aware of the beliefs, and as I really let the beliefs go, the pain dissolves. Sometimes into a temporary dull ache, other times it just vanishes. I appreciate you sharing your wife's story with me. And for encouraging me to take time. I think that was very valuable for me to hear.

Thanks again!
Melissa
grithix

Postby Sighclone » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:10 am

Melissa -

I'll make another two recommendations, first, "Radiant Mind" by Peter Fenner. (radiantmind.net) He talks at length about our "fixations" and escaping them. And then, "Wake Up Now" by Stephen Bodian (stephenbodian.org) which has a conversational, loving, modern feel and style. Same message, different authors and styles. We are here because Eckhart has something very special about him. But these folks are delightful and evolved. I chatted with Stephen and saw Peter, but didn't speak to him at the Science and Nonduality Conference (scienceandnonduality.com). You might consider plugging that into your schedule for late October. There were 170 presenters at the first annual event...in San Rafael. It is split into two basic tracts, psychotherapy and science -- both spectacular in very different ways -- sort of a left-brain, right-brain deal. And Gary Weber's "Happiness Beyond Thought" is a wonderful book also.

Ultimately, if what Eckhart speaks about is real, then everyone is Source and it's just a question of fully realizing that. These people represent different colors of the same rainbow -- Sourcebeams, as it were. DId I use the word "if" in this paragraph? Silly me.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Sighclone » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:22 am

Melissa -

Strong, evolved, sensitive, big articulate mental egos are a tough nut. Yours has served you well. Welwood's book explores the definition of ego at great length and with immense clarity, breadth and depth. I remember starting to breathe deeper just reading him, watching my head nod up and down as I went over his first three chapters a couple of times. Suddenly the whole context of awakening expanded to include entire disciplines like psychotherapy, which Eckhart tends to dismiss.

I love Eckhart, but there are areas which are covered thinly there, places where others have been in depth.

I do have another message for you, Melissa...it is a rather strong one. You will never go back. You have observed too much of yourself, your "little me" self, to ever let it take the wheel for more than a few minutes at a time. Your life has changed forever. Welcome to the group in that, by the way. The twenty-five or so regular contributors here are delightful, wise, loving and powerful. Every time I read a post by one of them, I am honored to be a moderator.

This period is, in my opinion, the most radical period of evolution of the human race, by an exponential power. There will be a lot of arm-waving and whimpering by groups and individuals, and, as with you, within individuals as the bundle of habits and conditioning that defined you begins to shrivel. It is all very, very good.

Andy
Sighclone

Postby tikey » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:29 pm

Well if you lost your belief in the "Power of Now" than thats a clear sign that you take it too seriously.
The "Power of Now" thing is not to be taken that literally word by word. It's a spirituall book and as such
it's a contradiction in itself. How can a BOOK be a SPIRITUAL??? How can anything spiritual be actuall a thing???
So imagine that: there are no spiritual THINGS! And as such a spiritual book is a BIG paradox.

So, now: If your situation is heavy don't think about the power of now as of a path. There is no such a thing
in life as a path, because there is only the now :PPP

I know it sounds repetitive. If you have doubts in the massage of power of now it means that you had a lot of
hopes connected with it. And actually what means hope: Hope is a desire for better future. And what is
The Power of Now? It's letting go of desire!

Remember that :)
Im just a cloudless sky :)
tikey

Return to Pain and Suffering