How devils are born

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

How devils are born

Postby spikyface » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:24 pm

"Children who hate their own nature can respect themselves only if they can direct their hatred outward" -Arno Gruen

This insight resonates with my own experiences as a teenager; there were other guys who I didn't get along with at all and I effectively turned them into my own personal devil

They became the focal point for any negative emotions/experiences at the time. They weren't saints either, one ended up raping another male student and the other was racist who mourned the death of Enoch Powell very vocally, especially towards non-white students

Enough of the story, the insight is this:

The false self thrives on conflict, it needs something to resist against to define itself

Today a thought arose that a former work colleague would be very critical of my current lifestyle

Instead of thinking "well he's an idiot anyway", the thought that arose was "more conflict", which admittedly is still tinged with judgement

However, It was illuminating to see the process in action

How duality arises and how the self defines itself by demonising another
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within
spikyface

Re: How devils are born

Postby heidi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:25 pm

Wise words, young man. :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Re: How devils are born

Postby spikyface » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:28 pm

Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within
spikyface

Return to Pain and Suffering