Holotropic Breath Work?

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Holotropic Breath Work?

Postby SirNikalot » Mon May 17, 2010 9:42 pm

I've been experimenting with this for like the passed week, and I just got done doing a session on myself. Right now I feel a little bit like I just took a pyschadellic drug, and I feel relaxed as well. Has anyone experimented with this particular breathing technique? Its unlike any I've tried before.

Here's a link to one of the founders of the technique of it http://www.stanislavgrof.com/pdf/Holotr ... k_Grof.pdf

Some of the stuff he says is a little out there, but the basics of the technique is to breath rapidly and deeply, in a way that should feel natural. When I was doing it, some troubling thoughts would come up and I would breath right through them, my body was contorting, and all kinds of weird things were happening. Its really interesting stuff, and I suggest it to anyone who has troubling emotions.
SirNikalot

Re: Holotropic Breath Work?

Postby Webwanderer » Mon May 17, 2010 10:28 pm

It's a bit like re-birthing and is very powerful. It can be quite beneficial, but be cautious if you have emotional issues, they will likely come pouring out. An experienced guide should be considered in any case as unfamiliarity can lead to some difficult encounters with the sub-conscious. I took 10 sessions of rebirthing and a many more with Holotropic Breath Work. I found the experience quite freeing.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby SirNikalot » Tue May 18, 2010 4:06 am

That's good to hear, WW. Do you know of any good books that are out there that talk about the technique or the How To's? If you don't mind sharing, what were some of the things that rose up for you?

be cautious if you have emotional issues, they will likely come pouring out

I'm wary of this, and I don't really plan on going all out with the techniques until I find that I have some free time, I don't want my job or classes to suffer because of this. However, I do feel that I am ready for this and its time for some change to happen inside me.
SirNikalot

Postby Webwanderer » Tue May 18, 2010 5:50 am

If you are emotionally stable you'll be fine. It's not like you can't turn it off. Just stop the breathing technique. It helps to have a guide at first to help keep you going. It takes a good 20 to 30 minutes of connected breathing to get any real depth. I found it was best to have a goal in what to focus on or you end up wandering around mentally. As far as books, the only one I read was by Grof.

Knowing what you know now from Tolle about presence awareness may also be helpful. At the time there was a lot of thought based focus. While it can be useful in rooting out some long standing issues too much is a waste of time. Don't be surprised if you experience some tetanie (I know that's not spelled right) at first. It sometimes shows up as twisted fingers the first couple of times you push limits. It comes from resistance to arising issues. Once you get past that stage however, it can be life changing.

Grof says it's not unlike an LSD experience (he would know), but is safer in that it can be shut down in short order. Anyway consider finding a partner to experiment/explore with. Do your homework before you start, you'll be glad you did.

None of this is particularly fresh in my memory. It goes back nearly 25 years.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby SirNikalot » Tue May 18, 2010 8:37 am

Thanks for the advice. I don't know if I would consider myself emotionally stable though, I do suffer with anxiety and depression from time to time. 30-40 minutes of circular breathing must be pretty exhaustive, and I don't know if walking around like I'm on an LSD trip is such a good idea, which is why I thought it would be wise to hold it off from going to crazy with it for a little while.

you said
I found it was best to have a goal in what to focus on or you end up wandering around mentally

I'll give it a try. Because there is something bothering me that I want to focus in on, my cat's deteriorating health.

Thanks for the info and I'll check out that book by Grof.
SirNikalot

Postby Webwanderer » Tue May 18, 2010 1:42 pm

Don't even think about walking around. Lay down or sit somewhere where you're not going to be disturbed and you can safely melt into the experience. It offers an excellent opportunity to let go. If you don't have a partner ease into it. Start with 5 or 10 minutes - like sticking your toe in the water to see how it feels. Breathe for awhile and coast if you wish, then return to breathing. Control your breath speed to a pace that's comfortable. The faster you breathe the more intense it will be, and it can be very intense. Once you stop the exercise the intense effects will begin to subside in a few minutes. The memory of the experience, depending on its impact on you. will likely last a good deal longer.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby SirNikalot » Wed May 19, 2010 9:44 pm

Ok, I will do that. Thanks for your advice. I've found even the 5-10 minute sessions can get pretty intense though.
SirNikalot

Postby SirNikalot » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:47 pm

I've been doing this technique for a little over a month now and I just wanted to update on my status. As WW said, this is a very effective technique for purging emotions that are stored up in the body, and vast amounts of energy that were stored up are now being released, in intense emotions, ranging from fear, to peace (bliss I haven't experienced yet).

One thing I noticed this morning is that right now, for me, the technique is very effective at making my body feel very still and calm for a short time, but I notice the mind comes into play very quickly and thoughts have a life of their own, and so the thoughts will then spurt up and throw off any stillness that was felt within my body and it will very quickly make me feel pain again.

I've heard Eckhart Say it time and time again to become aware of thought, but I'm starting to see from first hand experience what that effect has on the body. It seems that thought is an entirely different animal from the body work that I've been doing. WW, you seem to be the only one who knows about this stuff, can you explain how best to deal with thought processes during a breathwork session?
SirNikalot

Return to Pain and Suffering