Hurt / Sore - Granny's wisdom

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Hurt / Sore - Granny's wisdom

Postby smiileyjen101 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:33 am

I was re-reading parts of PON this morning and realised the similarity to my Granny's wisdom in ET's teaching. My Granny was a wise woman of our people, with one hot and one cold hand for healing all manner of ills and an in-sight some find hard to fathom.

It's taken me a life-time to absorb and understand her wisdom (knowledge gained through experience and implemented with love) with many of her 'gems' popping up when I most needed them and wondering when she shared this with me.

Her healing was, I guess you could say spiritual or faith or natural healing. Through empathy she would diagnose vibrational problem areas of the body, mind and heart that would be identified as hurt or sore, and with her hands and love she would apply healing, clearing away the blockages to free flowing energy, which is all ill-ness is.

The notion of 'pain and suffering' used to resonate to me as one thing and the header for this section of the forum has been niggling at me, as was ET's in my interpretation separation of the two - pain being one thing, suffering being another.

I've tried to separate them into this is this and that is that, but I can't. If someone fell over and cut their knee the range of hurt and sore were 'treated' simultaneously.

Sometimes our ills were a combination of hurt-sore - for example if I was 'suffering' a bout of tonsilitus it would be pain, fever that she could treat, but if I were resisting what that meant in both the illness and the recovery - that I missed a school activity, or some other aspect of tending to the pain, through resistance I might also be filled with hurt. To not address the hurt would block the healing of the sore.

As a healer she recognised and tended to both, her soothing words that calmed my hurt (disappoinment - space between my expectation and reality / suffering in not accepting what is) was as important as her cooling hand on my forehead soothing the fever and her hot hand on my throat killing the bacteria on my tonsils. (Guess you're just going to have to accept my version of my reality on this.)

Would it be fair to say that in ET's wisdom many of societies ills seem to be that we address the 'pain' (sore) of a situation without understanding and addressing the aspects of suffering (hurt)?

In writing this and realising that pain/suffering and hurt/sore are switched around in these phrases... maybe this reflects that in 'modern' cultures we concentrate on the notion that pain creates the suffering and in ancient or of nature cultures that 'sore' comes from 'hurt'. This would make sense to me in that my Granny's healing was all about bringing things back into balance, whereas modern medicine or solutions to things seem to be in terms of 'killing the pain', and for me at least tends to cause more imbalance, rather than less.

Am I just slow on this? How do others see it?
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Re: Hurt / Sore - Granny's wisdom

Postby Quinn » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:49 pm

Hi smileyjen.
What a great Granny!

I think what she was doing and what Tolle is talking about are two different things. Tolle is talking about internal work that we do with ourselves. To realize that our own suffering is caused by what we're adding to the pain. When we have 'cleaned our own houses', pain is pain. We feel it, but we don't add anything to it.

What your Granny was doing was recognizing in others that they were suffering along with the pain. And, therefore, doing the natural thing to address both the pain and the suffering. That is clarity and wisdom in action.

smiileyjen101 wrote:Would it be fair to say that in ET's wisdom many of societies ills seem to be that we address the 'pain' (sore) of a situation without understanding and addressing the aspects of suffering (hurt)?

I don't think this is Tolle's main message. If he talks about society's ills, I haven't heard it. My understanding is that he is addressing individual consciousness only. He does talk about how a flowering of individual consciousness will help society and the planet (in A New Earth).
Quinn

Postby smiileyjen101 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:02 am

smiileyjen101 wrote:
Would it be fair to say that in ET's wisdom many of societies ills seem to be that we address the 'pain' (sore) of a situation without understanding and addressing the aspects of suffering (hurt)?

Quinn wrote: I don't think this is Tolle's main message. If he talks about society's ills, I haven't heard it. My understanding is that he is addressing individual consciousness only. He does talk about how a flowering of individual consciousness will help society and the planet (in A New Earth).

Thanks Quinn, I was looking at the bits in PON about pain bodies and also in the (?) group pain bodies eg by gender, race, history etc

For example, the Truth and Reconciliation process in South Africa after the end of Aparthied, Indigenous or native yarning circles for greater understanding before deciding ways forward, and justice and healing circles all being a little different in process to our more 'oppositional' ways and politics being divided along 'lines'.

Maybe its also crossing over into the splits of 'task oriented' and 'relational oriented' ways of looking at a thing.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
smiileyjen101

Postby Quinn » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:29 pm

smiileyjen101 wrote:Maybe its also crossing over into the splits of 'task oriented' and 'relational oriented' ways of looking at a thing.

I'm also fascinated by the circles of healing that are taking place around the world. Two friends started a group where I live. They started out with just the basic concept that people have a spiritual yearning (for lack of better words) and wanted a group to explore that. There were eight of us that met twice a month for about three years. I can't tell you the amount of healing that was done by just having people listen and care - the unconditional acceptance.

'Task' vs 'relational' can also be 'masculine principle' vs 'feminine principle'. Tolle talks about this a little, too, and there have been all sorts of books about the flowering of the feminine. But maybe (eventually) it's not an either-or situation. It's task and relational working together. Once we clear out the anti-feminine conditional thinking (or anti-masculine conditional thinking).
Quinn

Postby smiileyjen101 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:14 pm

But maybe (eventually) it's not an either-or situation. It's task and relational working together. Once we clear out the anti-feminine conditional thinking (or anti-masculine conditional thinking).

So the notion of bringing things back into balance....

In any situation of conflict/difference it's interesting to sit back and look at the pain bodies at work, in group situations even more so. I've realised when I witness these things I 'hunger' for the balance I grew up with.

Even things such as the recent election in the USA... seeing voter 'anger', 'backlash' and the seeming 'two sides' of politics tearing each other down, it seems like Einstein's version of insanity to me.

When do you think they will figure it out? The waste that goes into the fighting each other to be right, the see-sawing of policies making enemies of everything.

The interesting thing for me in observing... and from a nuance of my Granny's wisdom that while we do all have free will the universe is unfolding as it should with the natural consequences of our choices... around the world and more particularly since Obama's 'Audacity of HOPE', the 'two sides' of politics first in New Zealand, then in countries in Europe, then in the UK, then in Australia and now in the USA have all been brought to circumstances of hung parliaments or minority governments, where they either have to 'talk', negotiate and compromise or their whole system of governance will collapse.

The global financial crisis is also a huge shift (for me, in my observation) in consciousness. I hear governments saying people need to spend more... on 'stuff', but maybe people are realising that after a couple of decades of debauched spending on 'stuff', its not 'stuff' that brings them joy.

I heard a commentator last night saying America HAD to become the world leader again, the little child in me whispered, 'Why?'

I can't help wondering what my Granny would have answered.
smiileyjen101

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:21 am

Bumping this one too, the cycle of the political spectrum still in motion and renewing itself in escalating conflict rather than collaborating.

Also in part to Karmarider's interest in natural healing.
smiileyjen101

Return to Pain and Suffering