Help me out please

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Help me out please

Postby Amorbis » Mon May 16, 2011 2:40 pm

I thought about this for a bit before deciding whether to do another post here and finally said "screw it". Anyway so this is how it goes, so you're now "enlightenened": fundamentally there's no where left to get to, nothing left to achieve, no one left to become: all of that were "problems" of the ego. No more life drama, no more lows of any sort but the "highs" have all lost their zest. I'm really having trouble currently going along my life path because i can't help but feel this is all ultimately so meaningless- it's like you've created an endless abyss: you can fill it up with all kind(s) of sh!t that you'd like (i.e. people, fun events, lound concerts, bars, girls, etc) but it's still there by the end of the day, expanding faster than that with whatever which you can feel it up with. How do i convince myself that all of this is not in fact meaningless? That this is in fact "a journey" which has purpose meaning? Afterall, we humans have tended to speak of purpose and meaning in life for so long before someone like ET came around. So how can i get back on track? How can i see that there is great purpose to this "realization", this "journey" when at times, so often, it seems so ultimately purposeless (and this unceasing emptiness) is a big reason as to why i so often feel like this)?
Someone please msg me. How do you find meaning in your life's 'journey' after this "experience" which keeps dragging on and on?
Amorbis

Re: Help me out please

Postby Ananda » Mon May 16, 2011 4:49 pm

Hello Amorbis,

It appears you've confused enlightenment with nihilism, no?

Have a look;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism

What do you think? Is it how you feel?
Ananda

Postby snowheight » Mon May 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Ananda wrote:Hello Amorbis,

It appears you've confused enlightenment with nihilism, no?

Have a look;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism

What do you think? Is it how you feel?

Great call Ananda.

To elaborate a bit, first look at the video in kiki's post on the meaning of life.

At some point, the author lays out two common conclusions of the mind to direct experience:

1) That we are everything everywhere
2) That we are nothing nowhere

There was this line of thinkers in the West, Hegel, Kierkegaard and then Nietzsche and Sartre, and while I'm still looking into this, I have no doubt that these men were influenced by ideas from India, China, Japan and elsewhere in eastern Asia. Be that as it may they definitely appear to have, at least in their own minds, re-invented the wheel of non-duality.

For whatever reason, these philosophers tended toward a negative interpretation of what they had "discovered", which gave rise to Existentialism and the offshoot, Nihilism.

They attached themselves to the concept, as Amorbis seemingly has, that "they are nothing nowhere".

The trick is to remember that, as true as that might be, you are also everything everywhere at the same time.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby Stubbs » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:14 pm

Anyway so this is how it goes, so you're now "enlightenened": fundamentally there's no where left to get to, nothing left to achieve, no one left to become: all of that were "problems" of the ego.

The way to approach Eckhart Tolle's teaching of disidentifying from the ego and being in the now is that different truths exist on different levels. Being in the now isn't meant to replace moving along a certain path in life and manifesting a passion into the world. If our only purpose in this physical world was to just disidentify from our egos, be in the now, and just say "okay, I'm done with this now" there would be no point in us being here in this world, in these bodies.

Tolle's teachings are extremely necessary, however his works don't go into the reality of karma very much, at least not to the point where karma is a main subject he talks about. Our pain, our problems, and our struggle through this world is primarily due to the fact that we are here to burn off hindering karma. Tolle's teachings are useful because by disidentifying from our egos and being in the now, it is far easier to tune into our current karma and undergo whatever meditation is necessary to burn it off, since we are focusing on our actual path and are no longer just getting distracted by mental stories and ego drama.

-Stubbs
Stubbs

Return to Pain and Suffering