How to wake up from sleep.

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

How to wake up from sleep.

Postby rebecka » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:37 am

I have this question about sleep. Sleep is supposed to give rest and I know that I'm supposed to wake up refreshed in the morning, but it rarely ever happends. I have had trouble sleeping for many years, it´s become a part of who I am (or who I think I am). I wake up several times every night and sometimes it takes me hours to go back to sleep. The reason for this is probably that I start thinking the minute I wake up. The problem is that I seem to go from dreaming to thinking without even noticing it. Sometimes it takes me 10-15 minutes before I realise that I´m awake thinking and no longer asleep dreaming. This is really frustrating because by then it´s had for me to stop my thoughts. They´ve stuck. I need to be aware of them as the start coming if I want to be able to break them. Anyone with the same kind of problem or any kind of advice? Would be lovely to hear of anyone who has overcome problems concearning sleep.
rebecka

Re: How to wake up from sleep.

Postby Ziendus » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:48 am

>Sometimes it takes me 10-15 minutes before I realise that I´m awake thinking and no longer asleep dreaming.

Nuqjatlh !?

Fascinating.
My analytical mind tells that this measurement of time is impossible.

Greetings from Mars.
---ooOoo---
Ziendus

Postby Quinn » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi rebecka,
I have the same situation with sleep - wake up several times during the night and very very early in the morning. I can relate to what you describe about that fuzzy period between dreaming and thinking about the dream, too.

Waking up a lot in the night could be caused by hormones, the temperature in your bedroom, how comfortable your bed is, how much your husband thrashes around in his sleep, etc. You could try and find the cause and you might or might not. It doesn't really matter when it comes to these teachings. Because waking up in the night is a circumstance and the teachings are about observing how you react to those circumstances. Especially, observing without judging. Just noticing. Notice if it upsets you, notice how that feels, notice what stories develop around the feelings. Notice with a loving, caring attitude - like you are the most beloved person in existence (you are) and nothing is more important than listening to what's going on with you (nothing is).

That's all. It's the tender listening to what's honestly going on inside that creates an alchemy that lets the magic happen. It's not about fixing you or your circumstances. And it's definitely not about stopping thinking. That's impossible and will frustrate you to no end! Maybe, the more you listen without commentary to what's going on...maybe....your thoughts will slow down. But that can't be a goal. Making it into a goal blocks the magic.
Quinn

Postby rebecka » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:54 am

Thank you for your replies!

ziendus, of course it´s impossible to make such a measurement of time, it was just a way for me to try to explain someting that is not very easy to understand even for myself

quinn, thank you for your beautiful and understanding answear, it accually made me cry, I will try to have a more loving attitude towards my thoughts and feelings during these periods of non-sleep
rebecka

Postby Ziendus » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:22 pm

Your resonance to Quinn's answer is beautiful,
and you have understood that it does not only apply to nightly foolishness.
---ooOoo---
Ziendus

Postby Midnight » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Rebecka, don't judge yourself at all over this. The body can go without sleep quite comfortably depending on the circumstances.

Often it's the mind that freaks out and says "I need more sleep!" Or "I ought to be sleeping!" Are you the mind? Or, are you the one watching the mind freaking out about this? You are also the one watching sleepy-ness or lack of sleepy-ness. Stay with that one. :)
Midnight

Postby alex » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:46 pm

Hey there! I used to suffer from severe insomnia, it quite literally drove me nuts and was the reason for turning to spirituality. I had nights that I wouldnt sleep at all! Not one wink, try that 3 nights in a row!
My problem was never that I couldnt stop thinking but that I had terrible sleep anxiety - which is getting so anxious you might not sleep that you dont sleep! It sucked the big one.
What eventually fixed it was actually a kind of cognitive behavioural therapy that I half invented myself. I would practice seeing clearly every time I had an anxious thought that that thought was causing the insomnia. The sword of understanding is pretty powerful I discovered! Upon seing clearly the anxiety was automatically dropped.
Do you think there is an element of anxiety in your insomnia? Like when you realise that you're awake and thinking do you automatically tense up, resist it and start worrying that you wont get enough sleep? If so you could try understanding that this resistance will only keep you awake longer, just see it clearly for yourself. Tensed up and worried equals no sleep! You might just automatically let it go too and relax enough that the thinking just peters out itself. Perhaps dont try to stop thoughts instead give them 100% allowance to be there...
alex

Postby Elle » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:19 pm

Wow, I am suffering from insomnia now. It's like I get sleepy and I shower and get in the bed and I get anxious and nervous and can't sleep but I was JUST sleepy up until I got in the bed!!!!!!!!!!!
Elle

Postby wilsonparker » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:51 am

I also has insomnia for many years then i consulted with my doctor and after meditation I got rid of it . I would advise to consult doctor for this problem as soon as possible .
wilsonparker
wilsonparker

Postby elisestobbe » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:49 pm

I have exactly the same sleep situation as first described. I hover between dreams and wakefulness, and as soon as I sense that I am waking up, my mind starts flooding with my life's problems. Anxiety. There is something about first waking up that sets off a feeling of dread. I am learning to deal with this by doing what was suggested, just start "noticing" my thoughts without judgment. This takes the punch out of the dread. I pull my mind into the watching mode and then the racing thoughts mode seems to disappear.
elisestobbe

Postby magicbutterfly » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:45 am

I love your answer, quinn. All I can add to it is what I do.

I am lucky that I can follow my body's rhythm in sleep and wakefulness - I work from home. So, when I am tired, I go to sleep and when I wake up, I get up - even in the middle of the night. Lately I've been paying attention to my breath when I go to bed - that focuses the mind and there is no room for thinking. Also, I go for a half hour walk in the evening - a bit of (gentle) exercise and fresh air wipes me out.

Even if you do have to be up at a certain time in the morning, try to follow your body's rhythm as much as possible - if you wake up, get out of bed and accept that you are awake. Write down everything you are thinking/worried about. I find if I write it all down and promise myself to take care of it in the morning, then the mind can let it go and I can go back to sleep. And if nothing else works, I listen to PON on on my head set - that always puts me to sleep. :D
"As soon as you honor the present moment, all unhappiness and struggle dissolve, and life begins to flow with joy and ease." Ekhart Tolle, The Power of Now
magicbutterfly

Postby SirNikalot » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:13 am

magicbutterfly wrote:
Even if you do have to be up at a certain time in the morning, try to follow your body's rhythm as much as possible - if you wake up, get out of bed and accept that you are awake. Write down everything you are thinking/worried about. I find if I write it all down and promise myself to take care of it in the morning, then the mind can let it go and I can go back to sleep. And if nothing else works, I listen to PON on on my head set - that always puts me to sleep. :D

I suffer from occasional bouts of insomnia myself. It comes in many different forms, like not being able to fall asleep, waking up in the middle of the night, etc. Just this morning I woke up at 6:00A.M. when I went to sleep at 2:00 A.M. I woke up feeling really alert and just ready to go, but rather than listening to what my body was telling me, I decided to stay in bed because I thought it was too early. I ended up just laying there for several hours and got up when it was time for me to get up anyway. Next time I'm going to just jump out of bed and see what happens.
SirNikalot

Return to Pain and Suffering