Overwhelmed

Topics related to physical, emotional and psychological forms of pain and suffering

Overwhelmed

Postby sunnyjo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:24 pm

After a lot of self-enquiry the last few months I'm now really disorientated and overwhelmed. I constantly feel that Im trapped in my body and a feeling of panic all the time. Like Im just not comfortable 'in my skin'. Im having difficulty concentrating on anything as the thoughts seem noisy and relentless. It also feels like Ive lost a point of focus - I dont know how to describe this - like everything that I would have been aware of before would have been from a small and personal perspective but now the focus has expanded, it just feels so massive that Im overwhelmed by thoughts, emotions - like Im just overloaded with information.. I dont want to eat, sleeping patterns are all over the place, some days im just feel that I cant go on.

Im seeking advice from a GP and I was actually considering checking myself into a psychiatric hospital when it felt unbearable a few days ago but I just wondered if anyone had experienced this and whether you know of anyone that could maybe help. For example: spiritual counselling or some form of energy work (since Im finding it uncomfortable in my body). I'll continue to look myself for things that may help but It would be great if someone could offer a personal recommendation. Im also not intentionally enquiring now but the thoughts carry on regardless!

Thank you so much.
"We are the mirror, as well as the face in it"

Rumi
sunnyjo

Re: Overwhelmed

Postby TylerDurden » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:49 pm

After a lot of self-enquiry the last few months

What did you come up with? What is the last answer you gave to yourself?

Self-inquiry is effective in burning up what is false. You are burning. A death is what is occurring, which is fine. If you're going to go through it, a quick death is preferable over a long slow one.
You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
TylerDurden

Postby sunnyjo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:17 pm

What did I find: My friend was doing some pointing with me. I couldnt find myself outwith the mind. What concerns me now is trying to find help with the turmoil and distress that Im experiencing and trying to ask and find 'who is the one in distress' just causes more turmoil so that has to wait.

Rumi
sunnyjo

Postby TylerDurden » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:18 pm

You mean, "professional help"?
You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
TylerDurden

Postby TylerDurden » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:21 pm

My advice would be to keep up with your self-inquiry. Looks like you hit critical mass. Why would you stop now that you have the flame burning. You fan the flames until everything is burned up. Stopping is just suffering.
TylerDurden

Postby sunnyjo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Some guidance from a spiritual counsellor or maybe some energy work - Im not sure really - Im open to other people's experiences and personal recommendations.

Rumi
sunnyjo

Postby sunnyjo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:23 pm

The self enquiry just seems mind-stuff now - I actually feel physically sick and intense panic when I try to follow enquiry now.

Rumi
sunnyjo

Postby TylerDurden » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:31 pm

What kind of mind stuff? Share.

The way out is the way through, my friend. All detours are, despite how long they are, dead ends.
TylerDurden

Postby sunnyjo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:45 pm

Mind stuff - the self enquiry is just going round in circles, the enquiry is just being answered with another thought. Im also seeing that Im trying to seek and grab onto a empty state which is also mind stuff.

Rumi
sunnyjo

Postby Midnight » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:13 pm

I advise that you take a break, focus on the breath, keep things simple. Be completely honest with yourself about what is going on here. If you feel like it is something you can't handle, be with family or friends and have a chat to them about it (that is if you feel comfortable doing so).

Are you on any medication?

What is the nature of the inquiry? Are you asking 'Who am I?' Stop doing it if it's causing you distress!

Maybe send a PM to a couple of members you think could help on here and get their perspective.

Elaborate a bit more on how this started etc if you can.
Midnight

Postby alex » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:39 am

Hmmm, the self enquiry doesn't really sound very valuable if you just end up chasing thoughts around and getting answers from the mind. If it causes panic attacks then I wouldn't continue doing it. In self enquiry have you recognized the alive emptiness, the beingness that thoughts come out of? Ultimately the point of self enquiry is to become aware of this space - to recognize your true nature.
trying to ask and find 'who is the one in distress'

Hmm, I'm not sure in the value of this question. I would try to keep the purpose of self enquiry to point you directly to your true nature, which is never in distress. You won't find the one who is in distress because apart from scary thoughts about that person it doesn't exist! That is probably what perpetuates the panic attacks. You keep coming up against some kind of wall where you can't find yourself? I would say that enquiry has done it's job in the regard that you have seen what is false... maybe leave that alone for now. Unless it is pointing you directly back to that alive emptiness then it's not helping much.
I would say it sounds like you have set you're ego on fire! Congratulations! Life will probably be hellish for a while. I went through a very similar period with the I AM meditation. The ego self ends up on very shaky ground and boy does it create some fear huh? I had panic attacks too. Not much fun. But please, know that you're not crazy, the anxiety and fear can just make you feel this way. If you feel like you'd like some guidance then go for it. Just make sure you choose someone with a spiritual background, I made the mistake of spilling all this stuff to a normal psychologist and ended up on anti-psychotics! They didn't help...
There isn't really much anyone can say to help you really. It sounds like this will just go on for as long as it needs to. Try not to resist it, you will find countless stories over the net about how uncomfortable the awakening process is. The false self is burning up, just know and accept that this will really suck for a while but you'll come through the other side. Acceptance acceptance acceptance!!
Be gentle with yourself. Excercize, eat well... try some yoga maybe.
xx
alex

Postby tod » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:46 am

sunnyjo wrote:Mind stuff - the self enquiry is just going round in circles, the enquiry is just being answered with another thought. Im also seeing that Im trying to seek and grab onto a empty state which is also mind stuff.

If the self inquiry is going round in circles, seeking and grabbing, time to stop and review. Have you considered that what you are, awareness, cannot be defined/found as it is what is watching the circles etc.
tod

Postby sunnyjo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:29 pm

Just to say that I really appreciate the helpful replies. I am just utterly exhausted so I
will reply properly when I can.

Midnight - to concentrate on the breath that was really helpful.

I wasnt consious of any self enquiry thought but just a continual move to try and find myself
and then panic. But by concentrating on the breath and body this loop is lessening.

Thanks and love to all.

Rumi
sunnyjo

Return to Pain and Suffering