The law of attraction

Manifesting your reality or the Law of Attraction

The law of attraction

Postby innerpeace2u » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:15 am

I'm sure a similar post has been available before my time, so forgive me if this is a recycling of a former discussion point.

Much as been said about the "law of attraction" which has catapulted after the popularity of The Secret.

My thoughts are is this philosophy is in harmony with Eckhart's teachings or is it just creating more confusion? Id be very interested in finding out your views.

So here is my perspective: The law of attraction may or may not work (I have yet to see the vision and my desire of a 500K salary, ferrari, and gorgeous (yet spiritual) wife come to fruition. Lets assume there is some truth to this--- personally its been easier to believe in a more refined law of abundance (versus scarcity) instead.

Going back to the LOA, it was marketed as the "secret" to happiness, but the focus seemed to be on material wealth and other forms and very little if any weight given to the spiritual dimension.

So on one hand, similarities with Eckhart would be that the universe is an abundant place, but on the other hand, The Secret provides promises of the future instead of present. It also provides a formula for attaining worldly goods (form), whether it be the zillion dollars, the mansion, or the blonde bombshell as a final added touch. Even if it does work, will it lead to the happiness and fulfillment? I go back to one of my favorite Eckhart statements that counters this. There are two ways of suffering, not getting what you want, and getting what you want.

The other self-pondering question was, well... what about practising both LOA and Eckhart's teachings? As long as I am not overly distracted by form, remembering that this too shall pass would it hurt to enjoy the world of form and focus on enlightenment at the same time?
innerpeace2u

Re: The law of attraction

Postby Plorel » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:25 am

Hi innerpeace2u
I at least have come across one thread in the past which covers the topic.
But as I am reading Gangaijs book at the moment I gonne quote the chapter "the seriousness of your intend". She writes:

"I have heard it time and again: Yes, I want freedom, I real want freedom, AND I really want a good relationship, I want a beautiful place to live, I want financial security...
Please understand that there is nothing wrong with these desires. But if what you really want is freedom, recognize that any desire other than the desire for freedom will bleed attention from the potential for realizing freedom in this moment. If you want truth to give you some thing, it is not truth you want; it is the thing you want and that thing has everything to do with power, sex or survival, the three matrices of bodily desire."

If all the wanting disappears, if all attachment to things is giving up, we can truely realize who we are and step out of the endless cycles of suffering that come along with the hope of fulfillment through time and things.
As I understand Eckhart it is fine to enjoy the world of form (including using LOA and manifesting things) but as long as there is attachment to it, you will suffer because true freedom goes beyond that, beyond the world of form.

you can check his visit to unity village, in one of the interviews he speaks about that.
Have a nice day
stefan
Who am I without my story?
Plorel

Postby heidi » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:42 pm

If you use the search function "law of attraction" you will find many past discussions.

I'll add that it does agree with Tolle's teaching in that when done in a state of acceptance one is allowing things to unfold.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby innerpeace2u » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:03 am

Thanks Heidi... why didn't I think of doing a search first? I guess it's been a few months now, so perhaps for those who may have missed it,

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4493&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=law+of+attraction

When I was reading this post I noticed testimonials of Law of Attraction working for them. However, if it is a form based desire, be prepared for suffering via duality.

The consensus also seems to indicate that there is nothing wrong with working both LOA and Eckharts teachings as long as one doesn't falsely believe that once LOA fulfills their needs they will become happier.

So what are some examples of LOA working but not based on form? Does such a thing even exist? Would goals of enlightenment and true love (spirit based) be such examples? But then this suggests we are using affirmations and putting post it notes on our walls, whereas Eckart indicates this is not a goal to be acheived for it implies future and not present.

As I understand Eckhart it is fine to enjoy the world of form (including using LOA and manifesting things) but as long as there is attachment to it, you will suffer because true freedom goes beyond that, beyond the world of form.

Stefan, thanks for pointing this out. The dilemna here however is in order for LOA to manifest, one needs to be fully committed and visualize that which they desire. That much willingness almost implies a degree of attachment to it already, does it not? I would love to hear feedback from you or others on this.
innerpeace2u

Postby Sighclone » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:29 am

Action in maya is in the ripples. Doesn't mean you might not prefer the tops of the ripples to the valleys. As long as you are 99.9 % as happy with a trough as a wavecrest, manifest away.

That said, most people I know are pretty egoic. Perhaps wise and pleasant, but have healthy egos. And they want more money - and want it bad. Guess what...the Law of Attraction works for them, too. And then they will want more, and then they will be unhappy with that - a big cycle of suffering.

None of the second paragraph has anything to do with waking up, and actually is a distraction from presence.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby innerhike » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:32 am

The law of attraction is quite simple, in my understanding.

The less I resist Life, the more I am present, the more Life flows in all of its abundance.

Every thought, idea, judgment, hope, desire, expectation, etc. simply is resistance to the Flow of Life.

Every path that is true is simply a river taking you to the Ocean or Source.

You can start with people such as Abe-Hicks or Wayne Dyer or go with Eckhart.

But in reality you will find that if you are truly attempting to live any of these teachings, you are going to be in place of ever greater joy, creativity, serenity and peace.

This is uncaused happiness, not related to anything you possess, nor diminshed by anything you lose.

To attract those who listen to the tune of materialism we use teachers and teachings that appeal to such folks.

Few can jump right into nothingness, stillness and be completely annihilated.

Many take small dives into the Deep Ocean of Source, and talk endlessly about it.

But a few who are completely or almost completely submerged are quite a loud testament to the Power of the Source, even though in their submergence they have not much left to say.
innerhike

Postby Plorel » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:57 am

The dilemna here however is in order for LOA to manifest, one needs to be fully committed and visualize that which they desire. That much willingness almost implies a degree of attachment to it already, does it not?

Ah, thank you for clarifying that, its some time ago I read LOA.

The less I resist Life, the more I am present, the more Life flows in all of its abundance.
Every thought, idea, judgment, hope, desire, expectation, etc. simply is resistance to the Flow of Life.
Every path that is true is simply a river taking you to the Ocean or Source.

Wow, that resonates with me.
But where do dreams belong in that concept. I mean the really big ones, like Martin Luther Kings "I have a dream"?
Is having a dream about a certain state, achieving or becoming sth. always a rejection of the flow of life, mistrusting that life will offer the best experience to me?

stefan
Who am I without my story?
Plorel

Postby heidi » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:34 pm

This is uncaused happiness, not related to anything you possess, nor diminshed by anything you lose.
Yikes, Hike! Beautifully put. :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby James » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:33 pm

Innerhike said in another thread:
To attract those who listen to the tune of materialism we use teachers and teachings that appeal to such folks.

Yes, in a way it is like a decoy, we come hoping to improve our own lives, but discover along the way it's really not about me or you benefitting, or even becoming enlightened, (that may be difficult to accept). The bigger picture is about the Totality expressing itself, blooming and flowering through what appears as an individual. The manifestation is impersonal.

James

Postby Betty » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:20 am

It's been my observation that one function of "the trap" is that one's beliefs seem to attract things and situations that validate them so I would say that the laws of attraction would indeed work if one could aligned one's beliefs with whatever it is one wants. I've never been a big "wanter" so I couldn't really say if one could actually use such a law for something like putting fifty thousand bucks in your hand, LOL! What kind of belief would produce that? Or maybe I have the wrong idea about it...
Betty

Postby innerpeace2u » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:28 am

Coincidentally, I just happened to stumble upon a quote from Wayne Dyer that also brings things into perspective that I thought I should share:

Since the universe works via the law of attraction, when you say gimme, gimme, gimme it responds in like fashion. But when you say how may I share? the universe responds "how may I share with you?"

This also makes intuitive sense yet taking on a bit of a different angle. I interpret this as not only suggesting that if you are requesting from the universe a material good it won't be provided, but it asks that you give it first in terms of some kind of service or benevolent act. Similar to JFK's "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country". Just expand the word "country" to state "universe".

So now taking this into account, even if we utilize the LOA it sounds like it is counter to Dyer's approach.

Thoughts?

Nobody said the spiritual path was an easy one. :)
innerpeace2u

Postby gdvant » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:59 am

Does the law of attraction relate to something to use as a means to an end?
Or is it an insight that operates choicelessly? For example, ET discussed the
pointing that "to those who have gratitude, all shall be given but for those
who have no gratitude, even what little they have shall be taken away."

If we love awareness of connectedness and feel gratitude for being a part
of the whole, we live with that. Because we live with that gratitude,
connectedness or presence grows in us. It is not that we live with it to
get anything. We are grateful for the very nature of our being. Do you
see what I mean?

Greg
gdvant

Postby Webwanderer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:41 am

gdvant wrote:If we love awareness of connectedness and feel gratitude for being a part
of the whole, we live with that. Because we live with that gratitude,
connectedness or presence grows in us. It is not that we live with it to
get anything. We are grateful for the very nature of our being. Do you
see what I mean?

Greg

I do, and I agree. I sense that gratitude and unconditional love are so connected that it's hard to imagine one without the other. At least from our limited perspective in form, gratitude in being is the portal through which the experience of unconditional love flows. In those moments of pristine stillness, express a sense of unqualified gratitude in being. Is there a better experiential example of Love so consistantly present? Maybe, but this will do for now.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby innerpeace2u » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:49 am

gd, it's always good to be reminded of gratitude as one of the essential portals, so to speak. I'm anxiously waiting (...er, uhm, but focusing on NOW) for feedback on contrasting this with Dyer's comments I posted.

Eckhart also mentions that a vision or goal should already by inside you when you are present. Its as if the goals are coming through you through consciousness versus material wants through egoic thinking. He mentions not to visualize for something to happen but rather you respond to your inner impulses which then allows you to manifest it outside.

This is interesting in itself because it goes back to my original post I had which was to say if anyone actually experienced these inner impulses from consciousness? And if so, how did it seem different?
innerpeace2u

Postby lucy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:41 pm

All desire, whether it be for for a BMW, a mansion, a beautiful partner or enlightenment is the desire to end the apparent separation that takes place when we
develop a separate sense of self (around the age of two). The Secret, and other books focusing on the LOA are a band-aid treatment for the
symptoms of separation. Eventually, sometimes through a combination of suffering, exhaustion, and grace we come to realize that the objects of our desire
can never fill the undercurrent of dis-ease that we feel. It is at this stage (apparent stage) that the so called seeker can fall away and it is realized that
there was no separation between what you want and what you are.
lucy

Next

Return to Law of Attraction