Is There Any Truth To It?

Manifesting your reality or the Law of Attraction

Is There Any Truth To It?

Postby Craig » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:05 am

Prior to reading Eckhart Tolle, I read both The Power of Your Subconscious Mind and The Secret. Once I got into exploring the non-dualist traditions, I discovered that many spiritual teachers frown upon things like the Law of Attraction, because it involves being more caught up in material things and "my" wants and needs, which isn't ultimately liberating. So I put aside books dealing with the law of attraction and began to focus upon non-dualism instead.

Yet, the intriguing thing is that there seems to be some validity to the Law of Attraction- even if that validity exists only in my mind. ;) You see, when I was reading The Secret, I visualized several things that I wanted, and really imagined what it would be like to actually have them, and how I would feel about it. These objects are not terribly expensive, but nor are they cheap either- they tend to start at $700 US and above. And, the funny thing is, as time has gone by, a number of them have started coming into my life, through one way or another.

Does this mean that the Law of Attraction works? I don't know. One could argue very credibly that since I wanted the items, it's only natural that I'd go out of my way to acquire them, and that any so-called "Law of Attraction" has nothing to do with it. Nevertheless, it is a curious phenomena, especially given that some of these items I have acquired without purchasing them directly, through trades, or as gifts.

There are some Zen masters who speak about what we would term the Law of Attraction, and they indicate that the degree of success in attracting specific things relates to how unconditionally you believe that you can acquire them. In other words, doubt taints the effectiveness of the Law of Attraction, which is something that it's proponents agree upon. The particular Zen master I'm thinking of wasn't trying to advocate spiritual materialism; she was making an observation based on her own experiences in life.
Who am I?
Craig

Re: Is There Any Truth To It?

Postby Plorel » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:30 am

That interests me as well. I was never able to really apply LoA successfully, though I didnt try again since I read AnE.
If you really believe in it, you should be able to manifest really fast. Does that work? Is anyone really good here at manifesting?
Who am I without my story?
Plorel

Postby HermitLoon » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:24 am

Is anyone really good here at manifesting?

There is no one who is not (good at manifesting).

Pure Awareness manifests consciousness, consciousness manifests the Human Experience - creates and re-creates the "physical world" of "I Am"(duality) - in every moment.

Peace
Last edited by HermitLoon on Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace
HermitLoon

Postby Glycine » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:37 am

Good morning, HL.
You seem to be waking up really really early! More time for you to enjoy the human experience.
I'm sure you are able to manifest a short night sleep because you enjoy everything so much!
Glycine

Postby HermitLoon » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:47 am

Good morning!
Not too short - 9pm to 5am is usually manifested - love those sunrises!

Morning has broken - like the first morning...
Songbirds are singing - like the first song...
Thanks for the morning - thanks for the singing...
Thanks for the new day - all the day long. :D
Peace
HermitLoon

Postby Glycine » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:41 pm

That's a good night's sleep, HL. Nevertheless, waking up that early shows that you enjoy life!

Regarding the Law of Attraction, a shift to a different point of view may help: if "what it is" is what we "actually wish for", then the LOA is working continuously for everybody, as HL said.
What if everything that is, including the confusion, is what we actually wish for? Not we as mind only, but we as "being."
Glycine

Postby karmarider » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:04 pm

The LOA works. In the cluttered mind, it manifests the cluttered reality we experience. It's all perfect--including the clutter.

It can be interesting to examine why we want the LOA to work. Or not.

Adyashanti uses it to snatch convenient parking spaces. Arjuna Ardagh says it works but it's as useful as a billionaire begging the in the street.

Some say the LOA is narcissistic and egoticial. It is. Everything in the mind is. And isn't.

Passive watchfulness loves experience.
karmarider

Postby Glycine » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:19 pm

Here you can find a humorous "non-human" "beyond-ego" point of view on The Secret:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXdsDxYnGkI&NR=1
less than 3 min
Glycine

Postby steph H » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:31 pm

Hey there!

Hm... personally i do believe in the law of attraction.
The Law of Attraction, explained in The Secret, is being able to attract material/tangible objects(?). Yes, this is showing the strange forces of the Universe and how these forces tug, push, and pull in mysterious ways. We as human beings, apart of the Universe-- connected to the Universe with our Being/ underlying essence (the Universal Soul; wholeness of humanity & Higher Being)-- and only as parts of the Universe won't be able to truly know it or understand it to its fullest. Hm... i think we should just accept the Law of Attraction as one of the mysterious gifts the Universe has to offer. I believe in the Law of Attraction because it deals with the concept of thoughts creating reality. The Secret explains the connections and oneness of everything, and because of this sense of connectedness, anything and everything we do or put forth will affect the greater whole. The Law of Attraction is based on thoughts creating reality and the connection of everything in its essence. Everything connected--with no limitations and boundaries-- anything is possible. Thought creating reaity-- once we have a thought and we choose to really believe that thought with our hearts, we will make it manifest upon the physical world. Technically, i believe we have the power to transcend and create anything if we have the heart and the right mindset to do it. Intuition, the wisdom and intelligence of our Being, gives us spontaneous insight--which derives from our essential Self, is our gut feeling and it is out belief, and our trust in our own wisdom. This belief will get communicated to the outer world which affects the greater whole--our physical world. We have the strength to create and change reality--our minds is what limits this potential. Once we believe something--follow our intuition/that gut feeling-- change reality. This is exactly addressing the concept of unlimited human potential-- we have the potential to do anything because on the basis of EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING is connected so what we do has an impact on EVERYTHING. :D
steph H

Postby heidi » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:11 pm

Do a little search, and you will find many previous discussions about the secret/law of attraction and Tolle's work.
I found 145 hits for "law of attraction" and over 300 for "the secret"
Said it before, will say it again - It's all about allowing :)

HA HA -
Do a little search,
and this I say after Eric has so thoughtfully thrown all of those topics in this subheading for your convenience.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby Onceler » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:32 pm

heidi wrote:Do a little search, and you will find many previous discussions about the secret/law of attraction and Tolle's work.
I found 145 hits for "law of attraction" and over 300 for "the secret"
Said it before, will say it again - It's all about allowing :)

Well said, Heidi, agreed.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby nutrition » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:52 pm

I am reading Creative Visualization by Shakti Gawain. I just posted about this on the Questions sections. However what is the difference between the LOA and creative visualization?
blessings
nutrition

Postby erict » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:20 pm

There is no difference.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby Onceler » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:19 am

Is what you wish for (attact, visualize, etc.) what you need? Be careful for what you wish for. I have gotten things I have visualized in a precise way only to find out it is not what I wanted or it didn't offer long term satisfaction....'course that's the smoke and mirrors of the self.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby nutrition » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:56 pm

Onceler wrote:Is what you wish for (attact, visualize, etc.) what you need? Be careful for what you wish for. I have gotten things I have visualized in a precise way only to find out it is not what I wanted or it didn't offer long term satisfaction....'course that's the smoke and mirrors of the self.

If it is not what we need how can the universe manifest it to us?
nutrition

Next

Return to Law of Attraction