Meditation question

OBE's, NDE's, lucid dreams, and the like...

Meditation question

Postby Jcarter » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:37 pm

So I am a newbie at meditation. Never done it before in my life up to a few weeks ago. I have been trying to fit it in a few times a week. Aiming for 20 minutes or so. Up until yesterday nothing had really happened. Just a lot of wondering thoughts, trying to sit still, etc. Yesterday my oldest was at school and my two youngest were napping. I sat in a chair in my bedroom and put on some music (actually chanting from u tube). 15 minutes or so in I was ready to give up. Then all of the sudden I felt like what could only be described as a "dropping" sensation. That was when I realized I had entered another "state" so to speak. My body felt very spacious, sort of like I was under water, only I was part of the water! That's when the spinning started. I'm talking about SPINNING like on the teacups at Disneyland spinning. I was scared at first but I decided to just go with it. I have no idea how long this went on, maybe two minutes? The spinning did slow some, but eventually I got so disoriented I had to stop. Once I opened my eyes it immediately stopped. For a hour or so afterwards I felt a " body buzz".
I know that we are Not supposed to hold on to meditation experiences, but since this was my first time I hope it will be ok to ask, is this spinning thing common? Will it go away? Has anyone else had this happen? Sorry for so many questions I guess I'm just really curious now!
Jcarter

Re: Meditation question

Postby Yutso » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:01 pm

"dropping sensation", "spinning", "body buzz"

Meditation is awareness. You are the awareness of whatever arises. So "dropping sensations, spinning, body buzz", arose out of and into the field of your awareness. "Is the spinning common. Will it go away?" Sure, Just watch it come in, and watch it go. Just observe without judgment. And if you feel you are judging just be aware of that as another arising of impermanent passing phenomena.
Meditation is simple nonjudgmental awareness. Awareness is so ordinary and easy it can be hard to trust it because ego is always after the big loud banging parade of esoteric experiences and the illusion of then being more then others and extraordinary.
Yutso

Postby Jcarter » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:11 pm

Ok, I guess the reason I was asking was because I just expected meditation to be more of a mental exercise. I wasn't prepared for the physical aspect. Especially when those physical sensations are uncomfortable. I did some googling and found that its a common experience and even some tips on how to stop the spinning if it becomes disorienting.
Jcarter

Postby ZenDrumming » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:18 am

Well, you are flying through the universe on an organic spaceship that's also spinning at a rate of a thousand miles per hour at its equator. No wonder you feel a little disoriented.

In all seriousness though, I have experienced this too. Let it be and it will pass.
ZenDrumming

Return to Beyond the Physical