SpaceTimeLand

OBE's, NDE's, lucid dreams, and the like...

SpaceTimeLand

Postby KathleenBrugger » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:32 pm

What is reality? Here's an idea I developed some years back based on Flatland. I would love to hear some feedback.

Some scientists talk of a multi-dimensional reality beyond the physical, four-dimensional universe (space plus time) we’re all familiar with. For example, string theory, a branch of physics, posits ten or eleven dimensions of spacetime (or twenty-six or…). The books I’ve read about string theory (The Hidden Reality and Hyperspace) explain that the reason we can’t perceive these other dimensions of reality is because they are really really small—the theory says these other dimensions must be “curled up” into some tiny space smaller than our measuring devices can detect. (See this Nova article: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/im ... sions.html)

Many people who are spiritually inclined talk about angels or higher beings that exist on another plane of existence. Others talk about higher levels or dimensions of consciousness. There seems to be a common attitude among spiritual seekers that the physical reality we live in is an illusion or dream, and that the spiritual realm or higher dimensions are what are really real.

I think both of these views about reality are mistaken, and there’s a fabulous allegory called Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions that explains why I believe this. Flatland, by Edwin Abbott, is a short novel published in 1884. Mr. Abbott provides a very useful way to imagine how other dimensions can exist by creating a two-dimensional society called “Flatland.” [Read the full book online http://www.alcyone.com/max/lit/flatland/, see Carl Sagan discuss it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnURElCzGc0.]

The creatures in Flatland live only in two dimensions of space, like the surface of a piece of paper. Their entire universe is in that flat surface. Flatlanders are two-dimensional shapes: circles, squares, triangles, etc, but when they meet each other all they can see are lines of various widths. One of the Flatlanders travels to a new world where there is only one dimension—all the creatures are straight lines—and he sees how these Linelanders can’t comprehend him because they only see a one-dimensional “slice” of his shape. They see his movements as magic. This experience allows Flatlander to see that a great mystery in his own life can be explained by the addition of a third dimension to space.

In order to understand Flatland, try this experiment: Cut a piece of plastic out of a milk jug or the top of a container, any shape you like. Fill a bowl halfway with water, and drop the plastic on the water so it floats. The plastic is your Flatlander, and the surface of the water is Flatland.

Now stick your thumb and finger into the water, on either side of Flatlander. Move your thumb and finger together, then apart. Imagine what Flatlander would think about the movement: “There are two lines (because all he can perceive is the cross-section of your thumb and finger that are in his flat plane) moving in a coordinated fashion even though there is no apparent connection between them.” If he’s scientific he’ll try and come up with a theory; a causal link to explain the coordination.

Now point your index finger and dip it repeatedly into the water, lifting it out of the water each time. What would Flatlander make of this? “A line magically appears and disappears.”

Try a third trick: stick your first and second fingers into the water joined together, now move them apart to form an inverted V. Flatlander will think, “a line has split into two separate lines that are moving apart and yet are still somehow communicating.”

What you can see from this experiment is that the world of three-dimensional space would not be perceivable to Flatlander, even though he is living within it.

But, unlike what string theory proposes, the third dimension of space is not “curled up” in some tiny space. It is as full and complete as the two dimensions a Flatlander can experience.

Also, unlike what some spiritual people believe, the fact of the third dimension does not in any way invalidate the reality of the two dimensions of Flatland; it’s not an illusion. What’s revealed is that the two-dimensional world is just a limited perspective of reality.

In the novel, Flatlander can’t see the third-dimension because his world-view, which insists there are only two dimensions, screens it out of his consciousness. When he is somehow opened up to the existence of the third-dimension, then it is there to experience just as big and full as the two dimensions he had known before.

I believe it is possible that other dimensions are around us right now, as full and big as the four that we know. Some scientists don’t seem to realize that sometimes when you can’t measure something, it’s not that it doesn’t exist or that it is really really small, sometimes it means that you are asking the wrong questions or using the wrong equipment.

Think of some of the strange things scientists have been talking about in recent years: Subatomic particles blinking in and out of existence—like your finger dipping in and out of the water. Particles splitting and maintaining a link as they travel to opposite corners of the universe—your fingers moving apart into a V.

Maybe we’re only seeing a tiny part of the whole picture. Imagine our four-dimensional physical reality as a slice of the full, complete reality, like an MRI slice is a two-dimensional image of a three-dimensional brain.

When we're only seeing a limited part of reality we will draw incorrect conclusions, be confused about what we're seeing, and misinterpret objects and events.

Maybe the higher dimension that spiritual people talk about isn’t some place foreign to the physical world; maybe it’s here and now surrounding us if we just had the eyes to see. That multi-dimensional reality includes our 4-dimensional realm. That means the physical realm is not an illusion, it is real; it’s just a limited part of the whole.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Re: SpaceTimeLand

Postby randomguy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:20 am

Have you seen this kid who solves math problems in the 4th dimension? Jake - math prodigy
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:40 am

Maybe the higher dimension that spiritual people talk about isn’t some place foreign to the physical world; maybe it’s here and now surrounding us if we just had the eyes to see. That multi-dimensional reality includes our 4-dimensional realm. That means the physical realm is not an illusion, it is real; it’s just a limited part of the whole.

Love it Kathleen!

Add this from CWG ....
:You limit what you choose to experience, ....This limitation is voluntary, and so not a limitation at all.'

:D

No 'maybe' about it :wink:
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby KathleenBrugger » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks for the link randomguy, what an interesting young man! Imagine his parents journey from despair with the autism diagnosis to joy when it became clear he is a prodigy!

I found a mathematician who has made a set of videos that supposedly show the 4th dimension (I just watched the trailer): http://www.dimensions-math.org/

Thanks Smileyjen! I said "maybe" just because I am trying to remember to build humility into my statements. I do think it's true that those dimensions are all around us right now :)
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Postby TemporalDissonance » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:24 pm

Haha great post, considering the 3rd dimension consists of the 2nd and 1st… you do the math :).
TemporalDissonance

Postby Fore » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:47 pm

KathleenBrugger wrote:What is reality?

Whatever you experience from moment to moment is real to you, from the grossest reality to the subtlest to the ultimate.
Fore

Postby Tomgh » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:42 pm

I like the comparison to the particles blinking in and out of existence. That seems like a reasonable explanation.

In the beginning of Brian Greene's series about string theory he's explaining his theory to a dog, and than turns to the camera and says: what's the limit of our capability to understand? I think I see the Now as the 4th dimension. Or at least, I can use dimension's to explain something about the now. But I'm not sure if it's really to 4th dimension to the external world. Maybe on a spiritual level it is, and on that level I think it's the final level as well.
Tomgh

Return to Beyond the Physical