Has anyone here ever experienced an OBE while asleep?

OBE's, NDE's, lucid dreams, and the like...

Has anyone here ever experienced an OBE while asleep?

Postby Clouded » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:09 am

I know that there are people on various websites who claim that it's possible but I've always been skeptical about it (I'm skeptical about most metaphysical things) but I trust the people on this forum and I want to know your input about it.

Here's my experience; a year and a half ago when I got introduced to sleep OBEs, I thought it was a joke but I still wanted to try it out for myself because who doesn't want to float in mid air??? I was exhausted when I went to bed, and as I was laying down, I imagined a rope above me and envisioned myself climbing that rope. Then something strange happened to me, I felt my entire being vibrate from under my skin and I felt a cooling sensation originating from my brain and trickling to the extremities of my body and I stood there in awe for 30 seconds and then I freaked out and physically pulled myself up to open up the lights because I was SPOOKED and that was it. I don't know if it was my imagination or the first phase of sleep OBEs but I never had the courage to try it again. I guess that I am afraid to meet entities that no one else can see while I'm floating or to never come back to my body and be in a permanent coma and the idea of seeing my sleeping body from a third person point of view kinda freaks me out, it's as though I am a ghost who is looking back at it's corpse.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak
Clouded

Re: Has anyone here ever experienced an OBE while asleep?

Postby kiki » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:25 am

I've had several partial separations from my body but never a full blown OBE. My first experience was in 1973 about 2 weeks after learning how to meditate. I got half way out while lying in bed waiting for sleep to come. I was so surprised by what was going on because I had never even heard about such a thing before, so I didn't consciously do anything to prompt it to happen. In the years since then I've also detached completely except for my head, and I was never able to make the final break from the body; that was frustrating because I so much want to have an OBE.

Just curious, was this your first attempt? If so, I'm impressed. You might want to look into Robert Monroe's experience. His first book, Journeys Out of the Body, detailed his spontaneous OBEs back in the 1950s (I think), when such things weren't well known. He thought he had something wrong with him that was responsible for them, and was very frightened at first. He took careful notes over the years, and those notes became the book. He's written other books that are fascinating as well, but I don't want to spoil it by telling you too much. There are also some youtube videos of him - good stuff. He became the pioneer in using sound waves to alter brainwave activity ( he calls it Hemisync), which is detailed in his first book. I think it was he that coined the term out of body experience.

Now there all kinds of books out there on the subject, and your particular approach is one of the techniques that are recommended. Unfortunately, none of them worked for me. Whenever something did happen to me it was always a spontaneous event.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_ ... Caps%2C211
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Clouded » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:56 am

Yes, it was my first and only conscious attempt so far, I wanted to try it out just for laughs because I thought it was bunch of nonsense and I wanted to prove to myself that it was impossible but I didn't think it would work (or at least that I'd feel something that I never felt before) and that's when I switched from being relaxed to being terrified of myself and what I have done, and I wanted it to stop because I didn't feel ready to experience something as strange as this. I don't know if I can do it as quickly if I try it again because this time, I believe in it and so I am afraid of what I could see in ghost form, it's an intense fear of the unknown thing, I am a cowardly person.

I've read somewhere that people who can lucid dream have an easier time to achieve an OBE. When I was very little, I used to have nightmares where I was being tortured and killed and after dying in my dreams, I would instantly wake up breathless and terrified out of my mind but my whole body was paralyzed, including my throat so I couldn't scream to wake my parents up so I'd just stare into the ceiling in total fear until I could move. To avoid this unpleasant experience again, I taught myself how to wake up from my dreams before they get too unbearable, like when something goes terribly wrong, I start to question it because it doesn't feel right and realize that it's too horrible to be real life and I know that the quickest way out is to pinch myself in my dream to wake up safe in my bed.

Your experience sounds disturbing to me, lol! Actually, the ''spiritual'' body detaching itself from the physical body is the most disturbing aspect of OBEs for me; I don't want to see how I look like in ghost form, I don't even want to see my body as if I isn't mine but someone else's, and I don't want to meet up with spirits either, good or bad, I just want to experience what it is like to fly into outer space but I want it to be in this world, not in my dreams. I've had plenty of flying dreams before and they're the best ones imo, but I think that an OBE can feel more real than a dream, it's not like a memory but more like something that you experience in The NOW, if that makes sense. I'm going to the city tomorrow, and I'll visit a bookstore to see if they have some of these books in stock.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak
Clouded

Postby kiki » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:46 am

I would instantly wake up breathless and terrified out of my mind but my whole body was paralyzed, including my throat so I couldn't scream to wake my parents up so I'd just stare into the ceiling in total fear until I could move.

I had many such experiences as a child (and a few as an adult), and it was indeed frightening when I was young. I learned later, however, that this is something called "sleep paralysis" and it is actually quite normal and when it happens I no longer panic. In fact, it's something that happens each night to everyone, but sometimes the mind wakes up while the body remains asleep. The paralysis is the body's way of ensuring that it doesn't move about during sleep, so it acts as a kind of self-protective measure. It's my understanding that when sleep paralysis happens it is an opportunity to have an OBE provided you can relax and not give in to fear.

Your experience sounds disturbing to me, lol! Actually, the ''spiritual'' body detaching itself from the physical body is the most disturbing aspect of OBEs for me;

This is what was so startling when it first happened. My "astral body" began moving up through the physical body longitudinally so that my "feet" were where my physical hips were and with my astral vision I could see the top of my physical head. It was very very strange, and when I realized what I was seeing I instantly snapped back into my physical body because I was so shocked.

Most of my other experiences are when I'm lying in bed, usually early in the morning, and I feel my legs or arms "floating" away from my physical body, although these experiences haven't happened very often. When they do happen, however, I try to see if I can completely detach, but I always end up stuck at the head. I've had a few experiences of lucid dreaming too, and when they happen I prove to myself that my body is still asleep by willing myself to fly. It's a great feeling. Lucid dreams are supposed to be prime opportunities to have a full blown OBE.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Clouded » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:07 am

Your description is so creepy! Did your astral body look the same as your physical body? Do you have any tips on how to not be afraid of your astral and physical body merging and separating? OBEs aren't dangerous, right? I think that horror movies about ghosts taught me to be afraid of this. I know that there's nothing to be afraid of, but I don't see how anyone can achieve a complete OBE without being completely relaxed.
Clouded

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:49 pm

I had similar things with sleep paralysis. But it isn't anything to be afraid of. It's actually an amazing thing when we hone it. We can allow sleep paralysis in in a nice relaxing way and from that state the mind can enter the dreamscape.

I did that rope technique too and had similar effects. It was my first attempt at OBE but I'd had a few lucid dream things before. I've had a weightlessness things in my legs and arms but my head was still tethered. At the moment I'm building my dream recall so my guides can pass information to me and increase the vividness and lucidity of the dreamscape. They tell me OBEs will follow shortly after. Mostly they say to ease into it and allow it with direction. You might like this guide on OBEs and lucid dreams. These things are the same really, the only difference is you are fully conscious while moving out of the body in an OBE but move from unconsciousness to consciousness in lucid dreams. The Spirit Science video on astral projection (OBE or lucid dreaming) is also really good. Light humour :)

http://thespiritscience.net/2014/03/15/ ... rojection/
http://iosisrecords.com/libraryofzar/Si ... r_Body.pdf

Nothing can harm you during these experiences, but if you are afraid you may well attract whatever you fear to you. Either as something you create from the astral space (which you shape with your mind) or as an actually entity that feeds off fear. The worst that can happen is you get scared and return to your body. You can just feel 'I am the master of this space' and create light and beautiful things and they will be for you instead. I use the space as an opportunity for learning about aspects of myself and exploring my fears as well as communicating with my guides more complexly and increasing my awareness in and of alternate realities. Only you can really know if exploring it is right for you. It's your choice :)

Much love to you both,

Jack
EnterZenFromThere

Postby blissrunn14 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:14 am

I've had a few, but not recently. I would be sleep and wake up and I would be near the ceiling, kind of spinning around but my body was in the bed. I didn't like it I don't want to detach from my body like that. I also used to have the sensation I was rocking back and forth partially in and out of my body that was a very very soothing feeling and I enjoyed it. Kind like a baby being rocked to sleep.

I've also experienced sleep paralysis which is scary it comes with a sense that something or someone else is in the room. That usually seems to happen when I'm extremely exhausted, but thankfully doesn't happen often. I learned if I stop trying to move or scream and just relax it leaves.

I've also woken up and seen things I really wish I hadn't seen lol. Scared the crap out of me so much I don't care to retype about it in detail :-/.
blissrunn14

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:53 am

I feel I should balance out Blissrun's comment with my own interpretation of the higher realms (e.g. The dream reality). I feel the higher realities are a more immediate and vivid reflection of ourselves. In physical reality all aspects of our being are reflected on reality e.g. If we feel afraid we are more likely to encounter things that we fear, if we are angry we are more likely to be angry to others, making them angry and reflecting our own anger back to us. This can be quite a slow and indirect process here in waking life.

However, in dream realities and other higher realities the reflect is far more rapid and vivid. It is also very new and new things can be quite intimidating. So if you are afraid of the higher realities, the fear within you will manifest itself to you - rapidly and vividly. You will create demons to frighten you. But these things cannot hurt you and are simply lessons to help you navigate beyond your fears - to realise that you are in control and are safe and creating this experience for yourself. Instead of choosing fear of these realms you can choose to love and embrace them. Then they change into the most extraordinary beauty. You can choose to use them as guides for your spiritual progress, and then they will become that for you.

To me it sounds like your own fears were being reflected back to you blissrun. And now you are reflecting that same fear onto this forum by expressing it. Which is a good thing as it gives us all an opportunity to learn from it. But I think it's important to emphasise that we create what we experience. We are experiencing all aspects of ourself. That is what life is (in my opinion). So i wouldn't want to scare people away from the higher realities. Personally I've found them extremely valuable in my own development, even the frightening stuff - maybe even especially the frightening stuff. It helped me overcome my fear of fear. When you can stare your deepest fears in the face when they are manifest vividly in front of you and say "I'm not afraid of you - can't you be more frightening?" it is a powerful feeling - a valuable feeling.
EnterZenFromThere

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:24 pm

Well stated Zen. I agree with your take. We are explorers at heart in an unlimited universe of being. Fear challenges us, protects us, makes us stronger, and teaches us a great deal about the nature of life and our condition at present. Thanks for being the pioneer that you are and sharing your journey and insights.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby blissrunn14 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:00 pm

I wasn't trying to scare anyone. Those were my honest accounts of those experiences. If I caused them I have no idea how and if there was anything to learn from them it missed me. I didn't find anything useful or beneficial about those experiences, personally and still haven't been able to shake off how much they freaked me out. I just realized this thread was asking about obe experiences while sleep, I think mine were especially disturbing because I woke up and was fully awake.
blissrunn14

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:23 pm

blissrunn14 wrote:I wasn't trying to scare anyone.

I didn't say you were. I said the fear within you resonated from you onto this forum - and that is a good thing in my opinion. I believe we all have fear within us, no matter how spiritually advanced we are. It's a beautiful thing - a divine guidance.

blissrunn14 wrote:Those were my honest accounts of those experiences.

I don't doubt your authenticity - I don't doubt that of anyone.

blissrunn14 wrote:If I caused them I have no idea how and if there was anything to learn from them it missed me.

We cause everything we experience. Our life experiences are a reflection of us - every aspect of us - every belief we hold on every level of our being. Being anything causes that thing to be.

blissrunn14 wrote:I didn't find anything useful or beneficial about those experiences, personally and still haven't been able to shake off how much they freaked me out.

That's fine. I was offering a way of balancing the situation. You didn't value the experience - that's fine. But that doesn't mean that others would have similar experiences to you if they ventured into the higher realms. Leaving your post without offering my own experiences may have made the higher realms look like a frightening place. This is restricting as it makes the wealth of experience on offer there harder to get to - the fear restricts access to the experience, and also increases the likelihood that the experiences gained from there will be negative e.g. if you think the higher realms will be dangerous, then you will create them as dangerous for yourself - which is a valuable experience, but not necessarily a pleasant one. It could just as easily be pleasant, so I figure I'd promote how pleasant it can be as a balance to you putting forward your own negative experiences.

blissrunn14 wrote:I think mine were especially disturbing because I woke up and was fully awake.

Yeah I've had some disturbing things happen while I've been fully awake. Some absolutely amazing and beautiful things too. Much more with the amazing and beautiful things. Every experience is what we make of it. If you fear these experiences they're more likely to come back to you as something fearful. If you learn to love them and appreciate the lessons of them they are capable of transforming as your beliefs about them transform. The demons are in us. Not outside us. The angels are in us. Not outside us. It is we that create. There is no outside world to fear, only the inside reality to explore.

These are just my opinions born of the subjective interpretation of my life experiences. There is no pressure on anyone to believe or not believe this. You interpret reality in your own way. Through that interpretation you create your life experience. Your way is yours. My way is mine.
EnterZenFromThere

Return to Beyond the Physical