NDE experiences for non-religious/non-spiritual folks?

OBE's, NDE's, lucid dreams, and the like...

NDE experiences for non-religious/non-spiritual folks?

Postby Salem » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:48 am

Does anyone know of people who had NDEs but were atheists, agnostics, not interested in religion and so forth?

I'm curious in hearing what their experiences were and how it has affected their lives afterwards. IE, do they now believe in God? Are they convinced there is no God? Was it pleasant or terrifying, etc?
"The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love." — Meister Eckhart
Salem

Re: NDE experiences for non-religious/non-spiritual folks?

Postby garuda » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:56 am

Salem,
Webwanderer is the go-to person on the subject of NDE & OBE. WW has done extensive research in this area. Do a Board search (upper right corner of this panel) for ND,OBE, and OOBE. Or pull up WW's posts from about two years ago by clicking his name icon and parsing through his earlier posts/threads. Smileyjen may be another source.
Recognize present awareness......... rest in that awareness..........don’t become distracted.
garuda

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:31 pm

Salem, there are quite a number of atheist NDE accounts out there. Curiously, many of them have religious experiences as a result seeing Jesus/Heaven/Hell and even evil beings, and subsequently becoming Christians upon their return.

Here is one account from a college professor but there are lots of them available on youtube. I get the sense that their atheism limits them from seeing beyond the religious implications and motivates them to become born-agains upon their return to the body.

It seems the context of what is seen in the here-after is less important than the qualities of being recognized - love, compassion, etc.
[url]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVi1GAHr ... re=related[/url]

WW
Webwanderer

Postby snowheight » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:37 pm

Salem, I remember seeing a TV show on the topic that categorized the experiences as one of three kinds : 1) no memory (not very interesting so not much time spent on this) 2) "light tunnel" experiences such as Jen's (sorry for the GROSS simplification :) ) and 3) negative experiences.

Not that I can add much knowledge to the conversation but just to let you know that there does seem to be a variation among reports.

I've conjectured that perhaps all of the millions of choices that we have to make during our lifetime boil down to one final one at the end: do you want to be part of this or not?...."to be, or not to be?" ... this would certainly explain the importance of forgiveness :) and give a literal interpretation to the definition of Hell as being a separation from God.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby smiileyjen101 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:17 am

Hi Salem, there are indeed many accounts. Some famous ones - one made me laugh and laugh and laugh - one of Australia's richest men, quite noted for his self centredness and arrogance 'died' and came back saying he saw nothing, just black nothing, therefore this heaven stuff was crap. But, funny thing was he was between that time and his final death a far more generous man with his money. I could only from my own experience laugh at the thought of him having to face anything greater than himself. Do you remember the thing in the bible about easier to get a camel through the eye of a needle than a rich man into heaven. ; ) I'm hoping his next time might have been a little different.

My Dad also knew a guy who 'died' and felt himself slipping out of his feet into a black void. It scared the crap out of my agnostic Dad.

I was also a part of a study on ND experiencers and we were given a chat/forum room and the opportunity to discuss our experiences.They all had a variety of belief and non belief systems, but all seemed to come back with a higher regard for love and compassion, however you clothe that.

In my own, I would have to say at the time of mine, I (can't quite believe I'm saying this, but it's honest) 'hated' God and had been probably in as close to Hell as I want to get in the living world for a few years, choosing fear and reaction to some of life's less nice experiences by dear ones and myself. When I was flying up the tunnel I clearly was ready to fight God for my son's life - kind of a cosmic tantrum kind of mood - likely akin to Sigourney Weaver's famous line in Alien :wink:

One of the things that became very clear to me was ~judgement (see my thread for my explanation of that) 'according to your knowledge'. One of my very clear thoughts was my Dad, as an agnostic was still a very good human being and how surprised he was going to be when he got there.

Years later a woman told her child to tell my child that she wouldn't be able to go to heaven because she wasn't a church going Christian - I was livid!
For me, having been in the light, Hell would indeed be the absence of the light of love - whatever you call that which is love and compassion.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby Salem » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:31 am

Smileyjen, do you think that Hell exists as an eternal place/state of torment, then?

One thing that is blocking me on my journey towards awakening is this fear of "What if I'm wrong?" as I have left my Christian belief system I was brought up with.

I wonder if people slipping towards a void is an example of becoming aware, but they don't understand it and are still "attached" to their bodies.
"The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love." — Meister Eckhart
Salem

Postby Salem » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:43 am

So I'm watching the video WW listed. If this man describes the love he felt as the All, the Everything, the Source of Life, that sounds like Advaita to me, but he clearly sees it as a duality, or something in the Christian tradition. This confuses me even more: there must be only one truth, and if what he saw was True, wouldn't it be the same as what Awakened people describe?

Also, it seems that there are more people talking about NDE's that are similar to his in that they see spiritual figures that greet them or rescue them from torture, but awakened people, at least in my part of the western world, seem few and far between.

Oh dearie me, so confused.
Salem

Postby smiileyjen101 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:16 am

Smileyjen, do you think that Hell exists as an eternal place/state of torment, then?

Only if that's what you choose to do to/for yourself Salem.
How I saw my 'hell' hmm was in 'thinking' I was separate from the light, the love, the all of everything and every one.
the more I chose fear the less connected to anything I (thought I) was, most of all myself - my true, limitless, boundless, eternity filled loving self. That was all still there, I just chose not to see, feel or believe it.

After seeing the truly oneness of love in the light - who we really are in ET speak, I could never go back to that way of thinking.
I don't step accidentally on an ant without blessing it and apologising,. knowing it will forgive me, as I forgive....

A Catholic Priest who became a dear friend explained his understanding that we are all on the same mountain, all heading in the same direction, maybe through different paths, but to the one place - I loved when he said no one falls off the mountain, some just find the climb a little harder than others.
And that was after a Baptist minister's wife had said my Granny would be in hell for her 'sins' of the sight. I could have reminded her of Corinthians and the espousing on a thing done in love....but there really was no point. She was coming from a place of deep, deep, fear and no idea of the abundance and reach of true love. I guess think of it in the shadow side of the mountain. And yet, here she was espousing herself as a follower of Jesus too.

There is a good book called In Heaven As On Earth: A Vision of the Afterlife (Hyperion, 1996) by M Scott Peck that you might find interesting. I did.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
smiileyjen101

Postby Salem » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:34 am

Would you please send me the link to your thread?
Salem

Postby smiileyjen101 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:30 am

Here it is Salem.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8712

in all things, I would say - choose love, over fear.
smiileyjen101

Return to Beyond the Physical