Lucid Dreaming

OBE's, NDE's, lucid dreams, and the like...

Lucid Dreaming

Postby quark » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:10 am

I'm interested in lucid dreaming. I have a couple of books I'm going to get going on this during the next few months. This thread is for those who both have experience & are interested in lucid dreams. I'm sure we have some here are can contribute a lot to this exciting topic.

Feel free to share.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one"
-- Albert Einstein
quark

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Postby Webwanderer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:33 pm

I've had several lucid dreams. They are for real. Haven't been as clear as in physical waking consciousness, but certainly clear enough that I was aware that I was in a dream and able to willfully influence events.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby quark » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:39 pm

Webwanderer wrote:I've had several lucid dreams. They are for real. Haven't been as clear as in physical waking consciousness, but certainly clear enough that I was aware that I was in a dream and able to willfully influence events.

WW

WW can you describe what you did to become lucid for all us newbies out there? I've done some preliminary research on the web & I'm seeing things like look at your hands.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one"
-- Albert Einstein
quark

Postby Webwanderer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:13 pm

Looking at your hands is a technique that came from Carlos Castaneda. The point was to have a key to do a reality test. For example, how do you know you're not dreaming right now? When dreaming you accept it as a reality so you don't test. But if you develop a consistent routine of reality testing while awake, with the intent to carry it over into dreams, eventually you will reality test in the dream and discover a dream in progress.

Now, the hands are a reminder to do the test, but the reminder could be anything. For example every time you hear a certain word or see a common sight (hands, red cars, traffic cones, what ever), you reality test. How do you reality test? Lots of ways. Hold out your hand, palm up, and and assume a red ball will form on it. Choose this as a reality. If it forms, and in a dream it will, presto - you recognize the dream state and become lucid. Another way is to find something to read. It seems that letters in the dream state are extremely unstable. They form and reform, or won't form at all. So if you see a sign and it's easy to read your likely not dreaming. But if you can change the letters at will you are dreaming.

The key is constant reality testing while awake, and when you go to bed, do so with the intent to continue reality testing.

Also, lucid dreams tend to happen when you are rested. So wake up about an hour and a half before you normally would, walk around for about 15 minutes and then go back to bed for a prime time session.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Natalie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:50 am

Wow WW that is fascinating. I would love to be able to do that. I have a question. The other night I had a regular dream (was not aware I was dreaming). It must have been a very sad dream because I woke up feeling intense emotional pain that lasted a few minutes after I woke up. I don’t remember what the dream was about. Why did the emotional pain ‘cross over ‘ to this ‘dimension’ and is there a way to find out what caused the suffering?

Natalie
Last edited by Natalie on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Natalie

Postby Webwanderer » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:49 am

Why did the emotional pain ‘crossed over ‘ to this ‘dimension’ and is there a way to find out what caused the suffering?

Natalie

Natalie, there's not really enough info there for me to weigh in too much. In general dreams are multifaceted. Most commonly dreams are a way for the subconscious to work through issues the conscious mind would rather ignore. If you are burying emotions, or at least not allowing them their natural expression, the subconscious can bring reminders through dreams. If you are quiet and alert with the dream feelings when you awake, you may get a sense as to what they relate in your physical world. Let your intuition guide you.

There are also additional realities, that are more related to what's known as astral states, accessible through dreams, but it takes an experienced dream practitioner to recognize them.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby HermitLoon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:51 pm

The Human Experience is Lucid Dreaming.
Peace
HermitLoon

Postby Sighclone » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:52 am

Hey HermitLoon -- that sure sounds like Tim Freke -- but he calls it Lucid Living...

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Return to Beyond the Physical