eckhart tolle tour too expensive

Is he enlightened? Why does he charge so much money? Does he have an ego? All these unimportant issues and more =)

Re: eckhart tolle tour too expensive

Postby none » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:10 am

I think the point here is someone considers someone as enlightened and accepts his teachings. Then he expects that teacher to be perfect. When it is not so, the very fact that he is enlightened is questioned. That means what that teacher teaches could be false. This jolts the person. Now he has to restart all over again and he may have to seek a new teacher.

I think that we should not look for perfection in these teachers. They are just ordinary humans beings who have realized the truth and they could be perfect probably only at times when they are ONE with everything. But otherwise they could be as imperfect as a normal human. Has any of the teachers said clearly that one should not look for perfection in him/her (teacher)?

I understand that perfection is a relative thing. But haven't all these teachers taught us (directly or indirectly) not to care for money or materialistic things? And now why do they go after money? Or why should they make enlightenment available only to the rich? Is it because they want to pull only those who are serious (serious enough to pay the fee)?

I know my mind is having a ball here. But I can't help!
none

Postby Seeker1977 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:56 am

I think being awakened and earning good money are not mutually exclusive... Why shouldn't he make good money if people are willing to pay the price?
He is just sitting at the side of the river and selling us river water. It is not his fault that we do not see the river...
“Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.” -- Buddha
Seeker1977

Postby zenofsong » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:07 pm

I like the euphemism about river water as it reminds me of Herman hesse's book siddhartha. A must read for the spiritual seeker. The more you get into tolle, or the more you attempt to understand what he means about the now, the more unecessary it will seem to you to go to his book tour. If you want to and you think you can afford it go. But it's only "too expensive" when you think you need it. Also, if you think it will bring you enlightenment, why not sacrifice for it? In the old days, people gave up their entire lives for a taste of enlightenment.

Money flows in money flows out, what remains? This moment.
zenofsong

Postby Riken » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:45 pm

Noone said a guru / teacher should be perfect, but it depends what you mean by perfect.

Nisargadatta Maharaj was a chain smoker and abandoned his family for quite some time to pursue the truth early in his life, he eventually died of cancer, but does that make him any less perfect?

As for Eckhart and his cash, if someone offers him, he will probably take it, why not? He just won't be ATTACHED if someone refuses him, so either way its all good.

You can still enjoy all the various parts of the physical world when your awake, but there's no craving and self-seeking in it, you don't NEED it to make you happy, but as long as its there, enjoy it!
"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players"
Riken

Postby nutrition » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:37 pm

I personally do not care if he has a girlfriend and makes lots of money. I do know that ET probably does good things with his money and does not want people to know what because that would be the ego wanting to feel grandiose. And if he changes a lot for his events it is probably because he pays his employees with fairness. Human labor should be compensate fairly. I am sure ET is careful about that.
N
nutrition

Postby bertie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:05 pm

If people dont have money to pay for teachings they can try the plumvillage.org website where Thich Nhat Hhans talks are free and its the same topic that he has been teaching for over 30 years in the west and he has a very simple life style .But even he had to charge to pay for the venue and travelling with all his monks when he came to London.I have never seen E.T. but I love his dvd and a new earth.a lotus to Eckhart!
bertie

Re:Eckhart Tolle Tour Too Expensive

Postby jcarruth » Sat May 10, 2014 9:07 pm

Ives wrote:
Now_in_CO wrote: What would Jesus charge to hear him speak?

New Testament scholars are now convinced that had Jesus lived he would probably have started asking for payments for his talks. He was getting tired of walking all over the place in his Jesus sandals and he wanted to buy a new ass.

Jesus assigned the administration of the money they needed to raise and live on while they were on teaching tours to one of his disciples (Judas). Each disciple had a different task - it was extremely well organized. I am sure there were wealthy patrons who contributed to the cause, because I don't think they charged or asked for alms from people coming to see him, who were already quite poor. But they did usually offer them food, and that cost money. He raised the money from the wealthy patrons who believed in his cause.

If there are economic conditions today that need to be death with, what makes you think that there weren't economic conditions in Jesus' time to be dealt with? Just because most of the info on Jesus has been wiped out of the Bible (by Catholics and Kings with agendas), doesn't give us the right to fill in the blanks with the figments of our imagination. You have to do a little Bible research, just as you have to do your own spiritual search. No one else can do it for you.
jcarruth

Postby Yidaki » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:21 pm

I think this sort of question is healthy and shouldn't be frowned upon. If it helps someone to feel more comfortable with his teachings, then I don't see a problem with it. Hopefully I can add some comments/ideas to this discussion.

I was wondering, when Eckhart first wrote his book and gave it to a few books stores, was he thinking about whether or not he could make a living from this? After all, the unfortunate truth is that we all need money to eat and live in a sheltered home. As the books began to sell, and he started to get a few phone calls from people who wanted to talk to him, I am sure that this type of thought crossed his mind. He just was probably thinking that he could spread the message and earn enough to eat and live in a home. That is all and nothing more. However, he probably didn't realise how profound his message would be and how far it would spread. His message was becoming bigger than what a couple of dollars would pay for. In other words, the costs associated with spreading his message was growing exponentially every year as more and more demands were placed on hearing this message. He probably thought, well this is a message that I want to spread and whatever it costs, I will spread it. Of course he would want it to be as reasonable possible.

So here we are. There is no doubt that he has made profit from his message and I am sure that he will use this in some way that will give back to making this Earth a better place. After all, without ego, there is no need for a lot of extra money just hanging around. Money doesn't buy happiness and Eckhart surely does not identify with happiness in this way.

Just one other thought. I wonder if Eckhart also thought that because his message was so profound that he didn't want to lose it? In other words, he didn't want someone else to steal the limelight so to speak. I mean, he just stumbled on a simply way for all humans to find peace and joy. Imagine if he didn't copyright it and someone else took his ideas and claimed them and then he finds himself back on the streets. What does everyone think of this?
"Wisdom comes with the ability to be still. Just look and just listen. No more is needed." ~ Eckhart Tolle
Yidaki

Postby powerbowler » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:49 pm

The Power of Now is a very profound book , possibly the first book written by a westerner that describes Buddhist and Christian teachings in a simple and demystifying way . It was written in a way that we could understand , it awoke something in us that grasped the meaning of the words but still left us unable to realise them. Ever since that book people have needed more and more explanation trying to make those words their reality. Eckhart tries in every way possible to make that happen . To anyone who says I have read the Power of Now and loved it but couldn't understand it , I say "read it again". Still don't get it -- then read it again. No need to spend any more money , the book says it all .
powerbowler

Postby beginnersmind » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:50 pm

Yidaki wrote: Imagine if he didn't copyright it and someone else took his ideas and claimed them and then he finds himself back on the streets. What does everyone think of this?

What makes you think they are actually "his" ideas?
beginnersmind

Postby beginnersmind » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:59 pm

powerbowler wrote:The Power of Now is a very profound book , possibly the first book written by a westerner that describes Buddhist and Christian teachings in a simple and demystifying way . It was written in a way that we could understand , it awoke something in us that grasped the meaning of the words but still left us unable to realise them. Ever since that book people have needed more and more explanation trying to make those words their reality. Eckhart tries in every way possible to make that happen . To anyone who says I have read the Power of Now and loved it but couldn't understand it , I say "read it again". Still don't get it -- then read it again. No need to spend any more money , the book says it all .

The Power of Now is a good book and Eckhart Tolle did introduce me to spirituality. Are there people that read TPoN and do not understand it? I'm curious about that. There have been other books before TPoN that have merged Eastern and Western thought. William Samuel's book, "A Guide to Awareness and Tranquility" comes to mind and of course, A Course in Miracles where Tolle pulled a lot of his ideas/wording from, but I suppose that book is neither simple or demystifying.
beginnersmind

Postby karmarider » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:13 pm

beginnersmind wrote:Are there people that read TPoN and do not understand it?

I recently met someone who is very resistant to it. I have not experienced this kind of reaction previously. This person is completely against it--he thinks ET is demonizing the mind and he believes that deep thinking is the solution to human problems.

Most people to who I've recommended PON have liked it. But of course I only recommend it to people who I sense are ready and willing to begin their exploration of the self, or are in emotional pain and therefore open. Some don't get it right away. That's what had happened to me too--on my first reading of the book, I didn't understand at all, but I didn't resist it either, and two or three years later I read it again and it made complete sense.

But I think this is the first time I've met someone who takes a stand against it.
karmarider

Postby powerbowler » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:36 pm

The Power of Now leaves different impressions on those that have read it from " piffle " to " complete understanding " and everything in between. The Power of Now reverberated right through me , I understood . I feel lucky ? , blessed ? grateful ? all of those feelings but I've had years of searching so I feel the constant searching has paid off . Seek and ye will find , another truth. I'm 73 and have never been so calm and peaceful as I am now , to everyone out there ~ the peace of mind that you search for is just at the tip of the pointing finger.
powerbowler

Previous

Return to Eckhart Tolle - The Person