eckhart tolle tour too expensive

Is he enlightened? Why does he charge so much money? Does he have an ego? All these unimportant issues and more =)
Now_in_CO

Post by Now_in_CO » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:31 pm

Dear Ives, thank you for your good nature, and everyone else, thank you for your opinions; I truly value what you have to say. But Ives, I don't think Jesus had to worry about money for a new donkey: by all accounts, he was born into a wealthy family, same as Buddha. And what did they choose to do? They chose to let it all go, walk away from the priviledges of wealth, and become almost purely reliant on the good will of others. Why would they do that? And here we are today, with spiritual leaders walking towards money, towards wealth. Maybe the handlers around Tolle are justiffied - certainly, money itself is not "evil." On the other hand, how we spend and make money can potentially be evil (E.G. arms merchants, human trafficers, organ thieves, ec. etc. for some of the more egregious examples). So money is not 'the root of all evil' - but the attachment that can be created by it's accumulation, in the Ego and in the Bank, is a potential pitfall. Tolle is seems as good a candidate as any to be beyond these issues, like greed, but the people around him, I wonder about. At his talk, E.G., why charge more for a front seat than a rear seat? Do his teachings change, devolve, lessen on the way from the front to the back? Do people who want to be close to him, are they willing to pay more to be close to him, attached and completely missing his message? If it's the venue that costs so much, why not find another venue? E.G. it's not that hard to speak in parks, at least in the United States - just ask any political activist. Money, like our minds, is a useful tool. When it becomes more than that, takes on more importance than a mere tool, and rather an expression of value, it feels more like an epression of Ego and separation to me. Just my two cents... (:
dan

eseward

Post by eseward » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:28 pm

A lot of unproven assumptions in there. Just glad I'm not paying for those! :)

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by erict » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:18 am

And what if it is just that Eckhart is really greedy? That would explain everything, from the prices of his talks, to the prices of his DVDs and CDs.

Is there anyone here that can even prove it that he is enlightened? Maybe he has just fooled everyone in his brilliant scheme to make a lot of money?
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

AndyD

Post by AndyD » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:57 pm

Maybe he is greedy but, if so, I feel there are worse culprits. There are those who insist 'there is no-one to teach and nothing to be taught' yet charge for this teaching and those whose teachings you have to sign confidentiality agreements with and pay a royalty if you pass the teachings on. If you look about it is everywhere in so called spirituality.

However, I care little for this as I'm more interested in finding the issues within myself than those in others.

eseward

Post by eseward » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:59 pm

AndyD wrote:However, I care little for this as I'm more interested in finding the issues within myself than those in others.
Beautiful, Andy. :lol:

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:33 pm

At what point does wealth acquisition become greed?

Let me see. Wealth acquisition becomes greed when we want more than we need. Okay, I guess that works. But wait. Now we have the problem of what defines “need”. Hmm… Does need mean only what’s necessary for survival, like a cave with bread and water? Or does it include a house, and if so in what kind of neighborhood? And while I’m wondering, do I need a newer car than that six year old economy class that I now own, or should I risk driving it until the wheels fall off?

Drat, can’t forget about the kids. There is college that could be considered a need. They could get by at the local juco, but a private college would better prepare them for their needs. Oh, and mom may need nursing home care. I could dump that on the state but then who knows where they would put her. If I kept her home I would need to hire someone to stay with her. What does she “need”? Damn this is complicated.

I guess what I really need someone out there to tell me how much money I should earn so I don’t offend someone’s concept of appropriate income. Who wants to volunteer?
:?

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:00 pm

Yes AndyD, you have it right. One person has no way of knowing what is right for another. There is more than enough to keep one busy cleaning up their own conceptual minefield, without the distraction of someone else's issues.

As for as what I would pay to sit with a quality teacher, I would pay whatever I thought it was worth. But such an encounter is likely to be different for each of us. So too is the value. One thing to recognize is that if we feel offended by what a teacher is charging; then is that not a judgment of wrong we are applying to them?

Too much money? Don't go. But don't cause yourself harm by adopting a separating judgment. It is you who must live with the effects of that judgment.

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by erict » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:31 am

I'm considering burning all my Eckhart Tolle books, along with the many DVDs and audio CDs. He's not really enlightened. He's fake! It's just one big, greedy scheme to get our money, luring us with enlightenment.

A real, enlightened, spiritual teacher would never charge this much money!
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

eseward

Post by eseward » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:15 am

Eric, just send them all to me; I'll sell them on eBay. :)

Now_in_CO

Post by Now_in_CO » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:22 am

Whew, I was starting to think you guys didn't agree with me! Have you guys noticed that churches don't have entrance fees? Have you guys contacted Alcohol Anonymous? They could really use your business acumen. Maybe money that currently goes to aiding starving children, for example, should go to the CEO's of the aid groups? I mean, it's their hard work that makes the charity possible.

And Kofi Anan speaking in Colorado... he's charging US$45 for people who want to get close to him. What a chump when he can charge $100 like Tolle. Where are his handlers? I want you fellas to have a little chat with them.

One reason I feel it was a valid point to make light of the relatively high fee (do you guys really feel that that ticket fee is 'normal'? Have you paid to hear a speaker or attend a concert lately?) is that, IMO, Tolle has an incredibly important message to get out there, even if I personally don't live it 100% that, in an ideal world, I would. The reason why Mother Theresa didn't charge for her "services" was because she wanted to help people. We admire her, in part, because she did something that relativey few of us do- she truly sacrificed her life to help others. The reason why environmental groups don't charge for their rallies is because they want to have the widest possible audience. Churches, childrens aid groups and ecological groups get by through donations. Why not Tolle too, whenever he speaks? He always has his books, his DVD's, and his CD's. Is the man starving? Does he need a new addition on his house? It's just a wild hunch that, considering the numbers of books, CD's, and DVD's he sells, he doesn't.
dan

eseward

Post by eseward » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:51 am

:roll:

So just get in touch with Eckhart and tell him how much to charge. Problem solved. I'm sure he's waiting by the phone.

AndyD

Post by AndyD » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:31 am

Now_in_CO,

So the crux of your argument is that enlightened people should sacrifice themselves for others?

Ives

Post by Ives » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:44 am

Now_in_CO wrote:Have you guys noticed that churches don't have entrance fees?
Churches may not have entrance fees, but look at what you get when you go into them: a bunch of neurotic priests trying to instil fear into you by moaning on about hellfire and promising that one day, after you're dead, you’ll be happy.

And are you really suggesting that churches are uninterested in your money? Oh, please. My aunt was so brainwashed by her Catholic Church that she left them her entire estate. And I didn’t get a penny! :P

eseward

Post by eseward » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:01 pm

Ives, I'm with you on the bible-thumper thing. When one is fully identified with the idiot-mind, what else can be expected from them? :)
Marcus Aurelius wrote:It is foolish to be surprised when a fig tree produces figs.

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by erict » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:29 pm

Now_in_CO wrote:Churches, childrens aid groups and ecological groups get by through donations. Why not Tolle too, whenever he speaks? He always has his books, his DVD's, and his CD's. Is the man starving? Does he need a new addition on his house? It's just a wild hunch that, considering the numbers of books, CD's, and DVD's he sells, he doesn't.
You've said so much, but I fail to see the bottom line.