eckhart tolle tour too expensive

Is he enlightened? Why does he charge so much money? Does he have an ego? All these unimportant issues and more =)
heidi

Post by heidi » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:34 pm

Churches don't have entrance fees? Right, they have entrance to heaven fees to the tune of 10% of your annual income. :lol:
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

kiki

Post by kiki » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:21 pm

Churches don't have entrance fees? Right, they have entrance to heaven fees to the tune of 10% of your annual income.
I actually heard Kenneth Copeland recently say that God's blessings don't start flowing until you tithe. It's tithing that sets everything in motion. Sheesh!

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:43 pm

Kiki Wrote:
I actually heard Kenneth Copeland recently say that God's blessings don't start flowing until you tithe. It's tithing that sets everything in motion. Sheesh!
Your listening to Kenneth Copeland? We need to talk.

kiki

Post by kiki » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:01 pm

Your listening to Kenneth Copeland? We need to talk.
Well, I get 3 channels on my TV so my choices are limited. :wink: Actually, I rather enjoy watching him as well as Shepherd's Chapel with Pastor Arnold Murray - it's sometimes so outrageously funny (in a twisted sort of way) that I keep tuning in. It's funny because prior to PON I never would have given these guys two seconds of my attention. Oh yeah, another fun one is Jack Van Impe and his wife Rexella. His rapid fire quotes from the bible explain every current newsworthy event happening today as prophecy fulfilled. He promotes the rapture and Murray is anit-rapture, so it's fun to watch both use the bible to support their belief and disrespect those with opposing views, promising that god will punish them for their errant beliefs.

Just today I heard Murray state that the ice breaking off the Antarctic ice shelf isn't a sign of global warming, which he refutes, but rather it indicates that the glaciers are growing! Once they get to the ocean's edge they have nowhere else to go, so they break off into to sea! Now how can you not keep tuning in to get the latest "correct" assessment of the world's weather changes? :roll:

eseward

Post by eseward » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:21 pm

:lol:

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:27 pm

I cringe to think I might have something in common with Murray, but I’m not buying into the so called consensus view on global warming either. We’re in serious danger here of violating our own rules of staying on topic so I won’t pursue it further in this thread. However, if there is interest out there in exploring and getting clear on the global warming issue, we might consider opening a specific thread on the topic. It could be enlightening, no different than getting free of any other conceptual belief built on faulty information.

Annie

Post by Annie » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:58 am

The way I see this question;

Eckhart isn't living in usual waking consciousness; he lives in awareness.
He may in any case not be privy to all the financial details the marketing team determines.

Either way, it doesn't matter.
He is the current most popular world teacher. Huge responsibilty - unimaginable to this ordinary person. He's assisting us in waking us up from the sleep of millennia, for goodness sake!
I hope his people make sure he is wealthy and pampered and cared for, because he has said his body is not strong, and I want him to be teaching for as long as possible. The planet needs him.

And how true that our value-systems are upside down. We willingly pay large amounts for ordinary knowledge. But what about special knowledge??

For me, I would love to see Eckhart talk in person. However, if that financial outlay meant that everyday life became unmanageable (for example if I had to sell my car), then I wouldn't go, as have a responsibility to be self-sufficient for the basic life-needs. If I cannot be entrusted with this, how am I entitled to spiritual gifts?

Anyway, his Presence/Spirit/Egregore and the undeniable Wisdom is so powerful that it comes through in his books and tapes. There is an almost instant raising of consciousness. So throwing ordinary life into unmanageability would be just indulging in self-love (perhaps the wish to simply adore him rather than do the Work necessary to be more like him).

Best wishes,
Annie.

P.S. Webwanderer..
However, if there is interest out there in exploring and getting clear on the global warming issue, we might consider opening a specific thread on the topic.
I'd be interested in this.
A.

eseward

Post by eseward » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:46 am

Nice post, Annie. Glad to have you here. :)

ib42

Money

Post by ib42 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:24 am

How much is enough? If life in it's pure form is so exquisite, and Tolle claims to live 'there', it makes no sense to charge people just to see him and hear his teachings on simplicity.
This is the reason I stopped reading books and watching PBS programs of Deepak Chopra and Wayne Dyer. In one of the pledge week appearances, Wayne Dyer said almost hysterically that PBS was so good they didn't show murder and violence in their programs. Not long after, they aired a show about the civil war, and there was PLENTY of bloodshed and gore in that show.
Makes me feel used, just like commercials on TV which really say one thing only..............GIMME YOUR MONEY.

DF2007

Post by DF2007 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:18 am

If life in it's pure form is so exquisite, and Tolle claims to live 'there', it makes no sense to charge people just to see him and hear his teachings on simplicity.
it's all perception and beliefs about money isn't it?

The facts are that it costs money to put on an event. Money is needed for transportation, venue, paying people to organize it etc. etc. Eckhart used to talk for free before he was known, but only a few people were able to hear him. I'm fine paying for it. I can think of worse ways to spend my money. If I want Eckhart out there teaching I'll pay him so he doesn't have to get another job or something.

Ives

Post by Ives » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:49 am

DF2007, well said.

People, myself included, want to get something for nothing.
I've downloaded tons of Eckhart’s talks without paying a penny.

Yet, when I bought his three books it was something new for me: I had never been so willing to part with money in my life. That’s the truth. I really felt like giving something back. I wanted to give money to Eckhart Tolle. Maybe I'm mad.

What is money, anyway? Just how much can someone like Eckhart have before he starts giving it away? It’s just energy shifting around. Why get so hung up on it?

Now_in_CO

Post by Now_in_CO » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:16 am

Money, fees, worth - it's all gray area, all opinions, all thoughts. My opinion is his fee is market driven, plain and simple. I feel that high fees from teachers could open the door to abuse. At what point do they get into a situation where they are being used, the message and the messenger corrupted? And at what point should we start calling spiritual teachers spiritual consultants? You're paying a consulting fee, $100, to spend 3 hours with him, in the back rows, whoever attends in London (more if you want to be closer).

I agree with everyone that 'there are worse ways to spend your money.' No doubt. He has a 4 day retreat in Denmark that would do anyone and everyone good; what kind of price should something like that have? What they charge was obviosuly not as much as it could have been, since it's sold out. It's all a big fat gray area and I respect everyone's opinion who's posted here. Nothing is absolutely wrong with Tolle charging a handsome fee. I just happen to be aware of some raditions, like the Christian Desert Elders, who I also respect, who had a 180 degree different take on these types of things.

Now can someone with some pull get Tolle to speak in Boulder? I've got $100. And I'll throw in a free potato peeler.

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:38 am

"The source of abundance is not outside of you, it is part of who you are" (New Earth) "The law of outflow determines inflow" The law is expressed by Jesus "Give and it shall be given to you, good measure, pressed down, shaken together,running over will be put into your lap"

So you see, Eckhart does not have a choice in making lots of money. He gives a lot, and he receives in return, it's a simple law of nature. He has nothing to do with it...an in the end we are really only giving to ourselves.

YUDoodat

Post by YUDoodat » Tue May 01, 2007 7:46 am

A funny and entertaining thread here. Do you want my 2 cents? (If it's worth even THAT much! Well, you be the judge dear reader. I offer a money-back guarantee: I will freely take my 2 cents back from you if you feel you have been gypped in being misled by my paltry claims.)

I don't know much about Buddha, or Mohammed (as mentioned above), but I do know a great deal about Jesus. And he wasn't born into a wealthy family, Now_in_CO. At least if one takes the Bible as their primary source about his life. I think most know that he was born in a barn, to a young woman who was betrothed to a carpenter. Those are hardly auspicious beginnings.

Once he got out on his own after he started his public ministry, his only possession was literally 'the clothes on his back': a one-piece robe which Roman soldiers who were present at his execution cast lots for, so they wouldn't have to ruin it by cutting it up. (Now there's a greedy - and yet, thoughtful bunch...)

To one potential follower who ran up to him calling out, "Master, I will follow you anywhere!", he replied, "Foxes have holes, the birds of the air have nests, but the son of man has nowhere to lay his head." (He did not possess earthly wealth...)

At another time when he was eating supper at some house with a gaggle of people from many different walks of life, a woman whom he had healed of severe mental and physical affliction came up to him weeping. Out of sheer love and gratitude for who he was and what he had done for her, she took an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, broke it, poured the contents on his head, washed his feet with her tears, and dried them with her hair! The religious among them were aghast. Do you know what his disciple, Judas (the one who ended up betraying him to the Roman authorities) said about this? (It sounds very similar to some of the posts I have read on this thread.) He said, "Why was not this perfume sold, and the money given to the poor?" Hmmm. I can just imagine all the religious airbags seated around the room nodding their noggins like bobbleheads on a drunk driver's dashboard. Guess what Jesus said. "Let her alone. The poor you will always have with you, and whenever you want, you can do good to them. But me you will not always have with you. She has done a good deed on me. She has anointed my body for burial. Wherever this story is told, her act of devotion will be told along with it in her honor."

I share all this at the risk of appearing to castigate spiritual teachers for accepting money for providing the talents and services they offer. It is recorded in the Bible that there were women - apparently RICH women - who followed Jesus around and "ministered to him out of their substance". Jesus accepted this offering. Why the hell not? Isn't it "more blessed to give than to receive"? He gave them opportunity to realize the blessing of giving freely out of love and devotion. It doesn't matter at ALL how much money you have. What really matters is where your heart is about it. "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Far be it from me to judge the motives of anyone's heart. Jesus also said,"You shall know them by their fruits. Does anyone gather figs of thistles, or grapes of thorns?" Let the fruit be the guide, and leave the judgments and expectations to others. It's SO much easier.

Who gives a RIP what anyone charges for anything?! And why? Either buy and use something, or don't.

Now - anyone want me to give me my two cents back?

eseward

Post by eseward » Tue May 01, 2007 9:49 am

Beautiful post, YUDoodat.