eckhart tolle tour too expensive

Is he enlightened? Why does he charge so much money? Does he have an ego? All these unimportant issues and more =)

Postby diogenes » Mon May 07, 2007 7:32 pm

maybe jesus did charge his disciples, y'know, just a little something on the side. but i doubt it. of all the prominent spiritual teachers of the past, jesus seems to be the one who almost disdained money rather than just turning from it. kicking the money changers out of the temple! i mean, that's possibly the one time that jesus is actually really fired up in the gospels. he's pissed about it. he says, when proffered the coin, "render unto ceaser that which is ceasar's," because it has ceasar's picture on it. the only reason lazarus wasn't the 13th disciple is that he was rich and jesus told him he'd have to give it all up to follow him. lazarus declined. there are other examples given in posts above. there's the "it's easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle than a rich man to get into heaven." anyway, the drift is gotten.

i'm with the original post. this is something i don't get about tolle. there seems to be a lot of money flowing here: expensive books, expensive dvds/video, cds, retreats, talks. this confusion is coming from someone who wouldn't be going to the talks, retreats, buying every book when it comes out anyway, so it's not a personal financial frustration as much as it is a headscratcher. in that "personal frustration" scenerio the problem wouldn't be that the price of the drug was too high, but that i was a junkie.

maybe it does have more to do with those around him than with him. maybe he's taking what he needs and giving the rest away in wiser ways than those who initially had the money.

it's just the only red flag on a teacher who seems to be the real deal. i think money is tricky and dangerous in the guru/teacher area. as krishnamurti said after meeting maharishi randomly on an airplane, "i'd like to see the bankroll." the prevalent dichotomy in the guru/teacher area seems to be the few good teachers, who usually don't take boatloads of money, and the cons, who usually do take boatloads of money. though, the payment might be completely immaterial, like worship, absolute and unquestioning.

anyway, money just seems to be one of the ways to sift the good from the bad in the realm of teachers, and in general i think it's a pretty effective method. usually, however, there are other signs that someone's a fraud, which certainly isn't the case with tolle. he otherwise seems completely genuine, and i don't think the money offsets that. i'm just saying it's a little curious to me.

there's also such a difference between accepting a handsome offering and saying "give me a hundred bucks and i'll give you some pointers." there's a lot of rationalizing on this thread, which seems to be mental resistance to accepting something that IS, which in this particular case is that there's way, way more money involved here than necessary. somebody is making out like a bandit. it seems completely feasable that it's not even tolle, but, trust me, somebody is.
diogenes

Postby Webwanderer » Mon May 07, 2007 11:37 pm

Diogenes, it seems like you have a serious problem with money. It you don't see value in a teachers offerings, look elsewhere. Unless you have inside knowledge of ET's financial status, you are speculating at best.

A few bucks for one of his books seems a small price to pay for the opportunity to find ones way out of suffering, but that's just me. And there are lots of quality free teachings and pointers available from any number of internet sources. Look around. Even this forum is a wellspring of insight.

I believe there are far better topics to investigate in our efforts to clear the distracting concepts from our minds than concern over ET's cash flow.

On a technical note, it important for you to read the rules of our forum. Your post, which is devoid of capitalization, is in violation. Your future cooperation is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Webwanderer

Postby JD » Tue May 08, 2007 12:47 am

diogenes wrote: krishnamurti said after meeting maharishi randomly on an airplane, "i'd like to see the bankroll."

Yes, but Maharishi might well have said the same of Krishnamurti, had he seen him whizzing around California in his Mercedes convertible, dressed in one of the $500 Saville Row suits that he favoured. :D

Krishnamurti was not a Franciscan monk. So far as I know, he took no vows of poverty. Neither has Eckhart Tolle.

It's not money that's problematic, but the attachment to money, and I know of no evidence to suggest that ET would lose much sleep if his bank account was emptied tomorrow.

On the Simple Truth DVD he said that he buys almost nothing and lives very simply.

When a book's a best-seller cheap copies are soon available everywhere.

The Power Of Now is available for next to nothing in almost every second-hand bookshop I visit.

Every public library has several copies.

No one is denied access to ET's writings so I really don't see what the problem is?
JD

Postby Annie » Tue May 08, 2007 6:38 am

4 pages of this topic! Come on...
It's none of our business.

I'm reminded of something Mr Gurdjieff said to a student who suggested that he cut down the amount of fat in his diet, as it wasn't good for him.
He looked quizzically at the student, and asked;
"When does egg tell chicken what to do?"

So why all this interest ?
Why not see if there's envy or avarice lurking somewhere in us?
It always is preferable to take one's own inventory.

Cheers,
Annie.
Annie

Postby eseward » Tue May 08, 2007 11:43 am

Annie wrote:It always is preferable to take one's own inventory.

Certainly it is more helpful to oneself.

I think it's terrific that Eckhart never has to work another day in his life (not that he would anyway). :)
eseward

Postby heidi » Tue May 08, 2007 3:00 pm

May ET be free to sit on the park bench to his heart's delight. :)
4 pages of this topic! Come on...

I'm with Annie on this one.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

money makes the world go round

Postby too haht tzay » Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Last edited by too haht tzay on Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
too haht tzay

Postby riverspirit » Thu May 17, 2007 6:02 pm

Greetings,

My first post to this group......

I've actually enjoyed this discussion of money and dharma and sharing immensely.

One of the teachers i enjoy and "study" besides Tolle is Joel Goldsmith, who is no longer in body. One of the main things about the Infinite Way work which came through him, is that he never charged, and was always provided for. He talks about this throughout the many talks he gives.

Not that this is the only way.

I do know that Eckhart Tolle is also a student or appreciator of Joel's work.

For myself, i'm discovering freedom in having fewer "opinions".....

Just enjoying the moment,
riverspirit
riverspirit

Re: money makes the world go round

Postby eseward » Thu May 17, 2007 8:56 pm

too haht tzay wrote:It's obvious greed is playing a part here

I'd say greed is in the eye of the beholder.
eseward

Postby AndyD » Thu May 17, 2007 11:28 pm

A lot of speculation in this thread as to Eckhart's motives..... my 'spiritual journey' has taught me that assumptions are worthless. Anyone who really wants to know the answer to what Eckhart's motives are should ask him themself - or maybe discussing Eckhart's motives are a convenient way of avoiding looking at the motives of oneself...
AndyD

Postby Webwanderer » Thu May 17, 2007 11:45 pm

AndyD wrote:or maybe discussing Eckhart's motives are a convenient way of avoiding looking at the motives of oneself.

Very insightful, the clever ego mind up to its old tricks. Distract and conquer. :twisted:
Webwanderer

Postby jj » Wed May 30, 2007 6:40 am

It is as it is. See how the mind judges it. See how it spins its tales. Why make a story out of it? To enhance or defend your sense of what is right? Keep it simple. Ask yourself, "Do I want to go?" and "Can I afford to go?" and "Is it worth the price of admission?"

An important aspect of greed is the need for more. If you have wealth but don't need it, it's not greed, it's just wealth. It's not about how much you need, but that you feel that you need it in the first place.

Notice the story the mind makes up about this topic. Smile at the mind and its story telling. If you resent his charging fees, bring awareness to the feeling of resentment, as a meditation.

Also.. If you have wealth in the bank, it is doing things. Banks re-invest this money back into society. So the only idle money is the cash you have, and that's not true either, because cash is valued on how much is in circulation, not in how much really exists. The universe knows what it is doing, but our minds probably think they know better. The mind will say "I know what is best. I have a grievance with God! He should be doing a better job!!" This is very ego enhancing.

Also... Tolle doesn't hold the key to anyone's enlightenment. The phrase I Am points to the reality that only within will you find what you are really looking for.

I suggest we all have a spiritual practice outside talking about enlightenment. For example, I do photography in nature. She has taught me more than Tolle. It is a knowing, a knowing within. This is only where we all can rediscover our home.

The Tolle form and all that are around it are limited. Who knows, maybe tomorrow a big scandal will be exposed. When things like this happen, belief structures collapse or need vigorous defending. This is the world of form.
jj

Postby diogenes » Thu May 31, 2007 6:18 pm

Webwanderer wrote:Diogenes, it seems like you have a serious problem with money.

Thank you for offering to label me with a problem, but I choose to decline at this time.

In rereading parts of this thread, it seems to me some people are interested in having a discussion of this topic, but most are not. It's ironic that there are more posts by people who don't want to have this discussion than by people who do want to have this discussion.

I suggest that the "take it or leave it" philosophy about Tolle's teachings that you mentioned in your post also apply to the rest of life, like this thread. Why enter a discussion just to be in opposition to it?
diogenes

Postby diogenes » Thu May 31, 2007 6:24 pm

JD wrote:Yes, but Maharishi might well have said the same of Krishnamurti, had he seen him whizzing around California in his Mercedes convertible, dressed in one of the $500 Saville Row suits that he favoured. :D

Quite right :!:
diogenes

Postby Webwanderer » Thu May 31, 2007 10:20 pm

diogenes wrote:I suggest that the "take it or leave it" philosophy about Tolle's teachings that you mentioned in your post also apply to the rest of life, like this thread. Why enter a discussion just to be in opposition to it?

My apologies, I didn’t realize you were looking exclusively for a cheering section on your point of view.

Feel free to post your beef with the cost of Tolle’s gatherings, but understand the primary purpose of this forum is to discuss his teachings and hopefully incorporate them into our lives.

The fact is, getting sidetracked into a debate on Tolle's possible greed takes one away from the value of his teachings; and for you, or anyone else, to decide his pricing is exploitive is just idle speculation. You may argue with fair relevance those teachings' value, but that price/value only goes as deep as your own pockets and the importance you place on your own awakening.
Webwanderer

PreviousNext

Return to Eckhart Tolle - The Person