Not sure what to think re: very high prices for Tolle events

Is he enlightened? Why does he charge so much money? Does he have an ego? All these unimportant issues and more =)

Not sure what to think re: very high prices for Tolle events

Postby chilove » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:35 am

Hi all,

I'm a huge fan of ET, but I am a little disconcerted about the extremely high prices for the events that I saw listed on his website. He is coming to Seattle and I would love to see him but there is no way that I can afford tickets that start at $100.00 each.

It seems so exclusionary. I wonder if he knows about or has any control over how much the events cost.

I'm wondering how others feel about this?

Thanks!

Audrey
chilove

Re: Not sure what to think re: very high prices for Tolle events

Postby ib42 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:51 am

This is exactly what is so very disillusioning about all these 'enlightened' teachers'. Ultimately, their entire message of human oneness, etc., is lost in their fame and celebrity. Unlike you, I don't wonder whether Tolle, or others like him know about the ticket prices and merchandising that goes with their appearances. How can they not? They do, after all, collect huge payments for their personal appearances. How is this different from pop star concerts? NO difference. The message in the first book of any of these people has a sweet sounding feel to it. Then they go commercial, and lose all their appeal to me. Too bad. For once, I'd like someone like Tolle to appear AT HIS OWN EXPENSE on TV or live somewhere and invite all his followers for an event. Why is it a corporate thing? When is enough money enough for someone who touts spiritual truths and light, then is chauffered off after and before an appearance in a limo? Just like a rock star!!
Forget it. It's all about money.
ib42

Postby erict » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:17 am

Maybe he's really greedy. Does that make his teachings less true/useful/helpful?
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby ib42 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:34 am

No Eric, I am influenced quite deeply by the message itself. However, the credibility of the 'teacher' becomes less than solid when he/she chooses to become inaccessible and remote from those who thirst for a more personal connection with him/her. This need is natural, but thwarted by the very wordly forces and machinations of the profit motive. The case of Jesus rests (and I am not a fundamentalist christian by any means) very easy on the mind, because he was almost always 'out there' in person and in the thick of it. That's what I find most appealing about his life, and disappointing in the lifestyles of rich and famous spiritual teachers like Tolle and others who share the same title and wring it for every cent they can......
Thanks for the reply.
ib42

Postby jgh » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:49 am

Hi. I have the same doubts about this and I think sometimes eckhart wants to become a millionaire taking advantage of people who suffer and need to find a "cure". But as erik I also think: well, as long as these teachings are good for me and they're worth the money I pay, I'll keep using them of course. We went to see him this september in barcelona and I was a bit surprised with the 50 euros each, for two hours of lecture. But still we went. We're a bit short of money so we flew to barcelona and back to madrid the same day, a saturday that was. It was worth it. It was one of the most special days I've lived. So, as long as it's worth it, we'll do it (hope he comes to madrid next time though). I do think it's too expensive and I wonder if his reasons are honest, but I prefer not to spend much time on that thought and centre in my own issues (can't manage my life most of the time so why bother about eckhart's?)

I see your point anyway.
jgh

Postby erict » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:08 pm

I'm not sure what your point is.

When it comes to this kind of teaching, I think the teacher's credibility is totally irrelevant. Nothing Eckhart does or fails to do at this point has anything to do with the validity of his teachings. Maybe he's donating every cent to the starving children of Africa. Maybe he's a real jerk, who knows? Ultimately, enlightenment has nothing to do with any of this. But even those who only want only the more practical applications of his teachings are only wasting their time judging Eckhart, the person.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby D'ray » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:50 pm

Yeah erict has it right. I believe this has something to do with the fact that YOU believe to Eckhart's teachings because HE believes in them. But what if ET is a greedy jerk, does that mean that your beliefs are false? See the truth with your own "eyes".

Would you be more annoyed if he didn't share his insights at all? Even ET needs money to survive but I don't know anything how Ecky uses his money so I shut up.

It isn't about the messenger, but about the message :)
There's no "I" to become enlightened. The "I" can have spiritual experiences.

DON'T resist the RESISTANCE! The resistance is there. Walk into it. Feel it. Become one with it.
D'ray

Postby jgh » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:55 pm

Well I think for these prices the least he could do is multiply some fish or something :twisted:
jgh

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:58 pm

Suppose Jesus were alive today and giving talks and personal appearances. What would it cost to see him? As he charges nothing it's free. Yippee! Oh wait, He's in Jeruselem and I'm not. No problem, I'll just hop a plane for $700 to a $1000, spend another $400 to $600 on lodging, give up several days pay at work and take advantage of that free talk. (These numbers are arbitrary of course, I have no idea what plane fare to Jeruselem and lodging would be)

What does it cost to live in todays world, pay a staff wages and travel out of town, including hotel expences for all, conference rooms, etc. I don't know the answer to that either, but I suspect it isn't cheap. All I am saying here is that without knowing the economics of his heart he deserves a little Tolle-rance.
Webwanderer

Postby Blenderhead » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:07 pm

This can be found on Tolle's website:

"The work of Eckhart Teachings is in response to the urgent need of our times: the transformation of consciousness and the arising of a more enlightened humanity. We organize Eckhart Tolle's Talks, Intensives and Retreats throughout the world. We also record, license, publish and distribute tapes, CDs, videos and DVDs of his teaching events. In addition to supporting Eckhart Tolle and the dissemination of his teaching, we are committed and dedicated to serving the new consciousness and awakening of all humans on the planet. Behind the external form of what we do, and behind the business structure, lies the company's and our true purpose: the union with the Divine."

They are only interested in making money, of course. This is not fooling me. But I believe Eckhart just sees the opportunity in this system. The capitalist system provides an opportunity for the teachings to reach around the globe quickly, I don't believe Eckhart has any power of ticket prices at all. But I guess he likes it this way, he just have to sit back and relax and let others organize it.
Blenderhead

Postby jgh » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:27 pm

It may not be the case with Tolle's organisation, but its true many times those who are greedy are the ones who build up an organization around an Enlightened person's figure. For instance the Catholic Church.

Anyway, if we expect Eckhart to be an example of perfection he will disappoint us. He said it himself somewhere. I read in one of his books that if we get attached to the form, his form or any form, at some point sooner or later the form will allways dissappoint us. He says we can pay attention to his teachings and then only rely in the formless experience we achieve ourselves.
jgh

Postby BrahmanEternal » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:55 pm

Ok, i got PON from the library, btw i still have it the ticket will be very expensive heh, but i got it for free, nothing, not one cent, isnt this amazing that such a book can exist out there for free? When you feel the deep peace , the deepest joy, total ease you can not find elsewhere what price would one put on this?
I think this is another case of ever disatisfied ego who takes everything for granted because PON is available on bittorent for free, its taken for granted, what would happen in this book was kept in the dark of Tolles locked safe, i wonder how disatisfied ego would be then.
Free of need to be Free.
BrahmanEternal

Postby ib42 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:13 pm

Webwanderer wrote:Suppose Jesus were alive today and giving talks and personal appearances. What would it cost to see him? As he charges nothing it's free. Yippee! Oh wait, He's in Jeruselem and I'm not. No problem, I'll just hop a plane for $700 to a $1000, spend another $400 to $600 on lodging, give up several days pay at work and take advantage of that free talk. (These numbers are arbitrary of course, I have no idea what plane fare to Jeruselem and lodging would be)

What does it cost to live in todays world, pay a staff wages and travel out of town, including hotel expences for all, conference rooms, etc. I don't know the answer to that either, but I suspect it isn't cheap. All I am saying here is that without knowing the economics of his heart he deserves a little Tolle-rance.

Just plain old common sense tells me that Jesus would wipe out all our manmade ideas about spirituality and unity by driving out the greedy merchants of organized religion, and eradicating our dependence on showy personal appearances. That's not what it's about. We all know the 'saved' christian types who walk around in a state of plastic bliss, and irritate anyone who can think for themselves. I have several relatives of this ilk, and they just p--- me off. They are so obviously 'full of it'.!
No, I believe true leaders live their teachings as examples of enlightened beings. The worker in the field is more effective than someone who lectures about the right thing to do, then retires to a life of luxury.
Sure, I have a 'rat terrier' attitude. Dig for the truth...it won't be handed to me on a platter. And it takes longer, perhaps, to find one's center....but at least I know I examined all my doubts and faced them, rather than slavishly handing myself over to anyone whose actions differ from his/her words.
ib42

Postby Suzanne » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:55 am

I could have gone to the NYC appearance but couldn't afford it. Personally, I prefer his Cd's. They didn't cost much up front and I listen to them over and over again. I think seeing him in person might encourage me to attach to the human, rather than the message.

I also borrowed his PON on cd from the library and the new book. I think he's being more than generous with his teachings by releasing so many to so many companies for recording. I also think he's very brave to release the teachings he seems to do off the cuff: If you have any of those, like Findhorn, you realize he's running the risk of contradicting himself by using some words slightly differently, or by leaving himself open to misinterpretation.

I don't see him protecting his message, I see him giving it away. I don't feel any compulsion to see him in person. I prefer the disembodied voice.

If you really want to be in a large hotel banquet room or theater with him, that's your own call. He doesn't promote the need for it, so, I think it's not his fault if some find it excessive.
Suzanne

Postby ib42 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:35 am

I am gratified to have received such well meaning and honest replies on this forum. Sometimes people get angry and vindictive if their beliefs and leaders are questioned as less than perfect...a sure sign of cultish behaviour.
I loved the book. It was sent to me by a dear friend who also sent me several CDs. They have been very useful to me, though I am really bad at being in the moment. I know intellectually that what Tolle says makes perfect sense. I'll keep on until I catch on!
I feel a lot better knowing I'm in the company of mature, genuine folk here, and apologize for sounding a bit envious and bitter. I am, because I'm 65 and poor! No one but myself to blame for this...my 'story' of being hard-done-by keeps taking over. Nowadays, I just want some peace, and lots of money! (Don't we all!)
Thanks again, all.
ib42

Next

Return to Eckhart Tolle - The Person