Not sure what to think re: very high prices for Tolle events

Is he enlightened? Why does he charge so much money? Does he have an ego? All these unimportant issues and more =)
Webwanderer

Re: Not sure what to think re: very high prices for Tolle events

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:22 pm

jukai wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:20 am
Eckhart has helped many. For a meager fee of millions.
What about all those he's helped who never paid him a fee of millions? Who never gave him a dime? Or those who only bought a book, most of whose value went to the store where it was bought and the publisher who printed it? For a few cents remuneration, Tolle worked months in writing and editing. And who forced those people to go to his workshops? Where is the context?

WW

jukai

Re: Not sure what to think re: very high prices for Tolle events

Post by jukai » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:54 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:22 pm
jukai wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:20 am
Eckhart has helped many. For a meager fee of millions.
What about all those he's helped who never paid him a fee of millions? Who never gave him a dime? Or those who only bought a book, most of whose value went to the store where it was bought and the publisher who printed it? For a few cents remuneration, Tolle worked months in writing and editing. And who forced those people to go to his workshops? Where is the context?

WW
Yes, I'm one of those who has only dished out a couple of hundred (which for me was totally worthwhile). For the most part, I got his material from the library for free.

No one forced anyone to do anything. But that is beside the point. The point is - he knew that although no one had to spend on him, and although many wouldn't, many would. It's not about forcing anyone to do anything; it's about exploiting a fundamental necessity for a certain type of product. That is what shrewd business is about. If you move to Bend, Oregon, where everybody is going vegan, you open a vegan restaurant. And it's like those people at Costco handing out free food samples. You know that for every 1000 people that take the free samples, maybe 5 will go ahead and buy a freezer full of that stuff or a truckload for a family party.

I'm sure Eckhart looked out into the Western world and saw the enormous suffering caused by materialism, advances in technology, and failing marriages. He saw the lack of an easy-to-understand presentation of Eastern spiritual beliefs for Western people. He saw, in other words, a business plan written out for him, and he offered his products and services and cashed in (and along the way, helped many, sure). This is my interpretation of the quote from my earlier post - "exploiter of middle-class misery", which I happen to agree with.

Like I said, I don't doubt his selfless intentions. But selfless intentions are not mutually exclusive with selfish ones. I'm not here to paint his actions as good or bad, moral or immoral. Eckhart is neither saint nor sinner. Like everyone else, he's somewhere in the middle.