Not sure what to think re: very high prices for Tolle events

Is he enlightened? Why does he charge so much money? Does he have an ego? All these unimportant issues and more =)
goatboy

Re: Not sure what to think re: very high prices for Tolle events

Post by goatboy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:45 am

poor me, poor me.poor me. I can´t afford it..,,

Simple don´t go, stop whining. It is as it is.

If you were a millionaire maybe you could go, but then you might not have had the circumstances to bring you to the teaching, or maybe you would have,,..

Eckhart can charge 10000 million euros, dollars, gold nuggets, or whatever he likes. He even said don´t look to teachers as you will inevitably end up dissapointed.

tata :)

ib42

Post by ib42 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:11 am

10/4.

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:37 pm

Its fascinating what people spend money on and never question it, for useless things, myself included.
When its time to give their hard earned money to something really worthful, its criticized as being not divine.
Free of need to be Free.

Oswald2001

Post by Oswald2001 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:43 pm

"When the student is ready...the teacher appears."

On the one hand, I may think that I should or need to go to a 'Champagne & Caviar' luxury class seminar.

On the other hand, The Universe may provide me with snippets from interviews, chat forums and youtube via the internet. (God Bless The Internet!)

Or a book found in someone's discarded unwanted belongings.

At any one time, some doors are open and some doors are closed.

I figure that it's The Universe that controls and not my idea of what I think I need.

I'm not sure that I am doing things 'right', but, I am simply letting them unfold.

I am proceeding as if I am being provided with everything I need...as I need it.

I have many wants (not as many as I used to), but, very few needs.

I believe that...if...I really needed to see someone in person...regardless the cost...a way would be provided.

At least, it seems to me to have worked that way for me so far.

heidi

Post by heidi » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:23 pm

Here here, Oswald. And welcome to the forum.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

ib42

Post by ib42 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:35 pm

Where, where?

Oswald2001

Post by Oswald2001 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:38 pm

Thank you, Heidi.

I have been lurking here a while.

Great forum.

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by erict » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:21 pm

You're right Oswald, but this isn't really about that. It's more about people's expectations that "spiritual teachers" act a certain way.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

starshine

Post by starshine » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:53 pm

ib42 wrote:I am gratified to have received such well meaning and honest replies on this forum. Sometimes people get angry and vindictive if their beliefs and leaders are questioned as less than perfect...a sure sign of cultish behaviour.
I loved the book. It was sent to me by a dear friend who also sent me several CDs. They have been very useful to me, though I am really bad at being in the moment. I know intellectually that what Tolle says makes perfect sense. I'll keep on until I catch on!
I feel a lot better knowing I'm in the company of mature, genuine folk here, and apologize for sounding a bit envious and bitter. I am, because I'm 65 and poor! No one but myself to blame for this...my 'story' of being hard-done-by keeps taking over. Nowadays, I just want some peace, and lots of money! (Don't we all!)
Thanks again, all.
Poorness or wealth doesn't make us unhappy, the unmet expectations and forms that we create about our story makes us unhappy. (I am poor, others (just like me) are wealthier. Therefore there is something wrong with me or my life story.)

Don't expect. Be grateful for the abundance that you do have - internet access for one. Easier said than done. Start now. You seem to have a great story. Listen to the teachings again using your own story as an analogy and as if you were teaching a good friend who had that same story about presence and gain some wisdom. We all have our stories.

I completely agree with you. We suffer from a very poor leader indeed. Tolle has said he has nothing to offer us except signposts. He tell us not to view him with any importance, lest we will be disappointed. He doesn't like beliefs since they are also form. I have not seen any get enlightened in three easy steps book or the weekend seminar advertising telling you to pay him some money and you will be enlightened. He doesn't sell Tolle dolls that speak wisdom when you pull the string. Perhaps he needs to work on his marketing some more.

I have not spent a cent and yet Tolle has offered me a lot. I repay by assisting others to learn, just as someone gave it to me. Perhaps if you teach it to others, you will understand more.

Absolutely no need to apologize to us but perhaps to yourself. Welcome to the free forum.
Last edited by starshine on Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:12 pm

I paid 100 bucks to see Tolle. I can afford it, although my wife raised an eyebrow. I went with a good friend and we talked about spiritual issues and Tolle related stuff (also life in general) on the train ride to New York. We walked through the city for about 20 blocks (it was a beautiful sunny fall day), we ate at a great Tai resturant. Seeing Tolle was good, but I think I enjoyed time with my friend as much as time with Tolle.

I expected that maybe I would get some sort of spiritual "buzz" from the whole thing. But I didn't. I got more from his books than hearing him talk. I am glad I went., but have no need to do it again. I would rather have a community of like-minded folks--this forum comes close--than spend time with a "teacher".
Be present, be pleasant.

DF2007

Post by DF2007 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:14 am

Hahahahaha! All I hear are expectations!. Why are you complaining? Because you "think" things should be a certain way? That you should not have to pay money for the teachings? Don't then. Get the books and CDs and DVDs from a library! If you actually cannot afford to go to a live talk and would like to, ask for a scholarship. That's what I did, and I went. You may or may not get one. Detach from expectations people! That's what the teachings are about.

And for those that need to "think" a little more...
Since Eckhart used to live on a park bench because he had no money, how would he have paid to come teach you for free?
Who pays to print the books, who pays for the paper?
What about the people that help to spread the teachings? (the publishers, event organizers, office staff etc.) Do you honestly expect them to starve and live on the street so you don't have to pay?

Look at how many people the teachings are reaching! It's amazing! How, as a human mortal, could he possibly spend one on one time with every single person? Not possible in this lifetime. He could either reach a few hundred people with one on one time or thousands and thousands of people through books, audios, and larger events. Got to take the positive with the negative. Balance.

The TEACHINGS are using the system (as it is today) to get themselves out there! It's brilliant! Just as it IS.

BevBeing

Post by BevBeing » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:38 pm

Hi all

Just to add my perspective on the Tolle event prices.

There are many ways to get a message to an individual human being. And there are very many human beings who are starting to be receptive to Eckhart's message. Hence the need to find appropriate ways to allow the broadest possible audience to have access to the teachings.

We have seen Eckhart develop these methods:- from his original discussions with groups of friends, to his books, his retreats, the publishing of CD's, videos & dvds of his books & retreats, and now talks & a few longer sessions to much wider audiences.

The costs to those accessing his message, range from "free" when borrowing free books & audio / video resources from libraries & friends, right up to expensive tickets to the talks he gives in person. We find that sometimes to reach an audience, one has determine where the audience is.

Thus, some people will go to a talk, if the price is right, and thus event prices can be set to reach a particular audience who are able to pay such prices. Some of this audience may not borrow a libray book, or even buy a DVD or book, but are happy to attend a seminar. By offering a variety of methods for people to have access to the teachings, Eckhart can reach an ever widening group of human beings.

Hope this puts another perspect on the discussion.

Yours in peace & stillness

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:39 pm

Well said, BevBeing. Welcome to the board. :)

coriolis

Post by coriolis » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:42 pm

erict wrote:Maybe he's really greedy. Does that make his teachings less true/useful/helpful?
While it is quite true that truth will be truth regardless of the finger that points it out and those who "see" the truth for themselves could care less who or what is pointing it out to them, those still seeking might be somewhat taken aback by a teacher who claims he doesn't care much about money or material things and yet perches behind an organization that appears to take in as much as it can get as often as it can (like all business ventures do).
It may indeed be true that Mr. Tolle does not care much about money or material things.
He may not pay much attention the "money grubbers" who are cashing in on the fame the mind made image of him has generated either.
But I can definitely see where a seeker would see all the accouterments of fame and fortune as a red flag warning them that yet another new age alchemist is attempting to turn human longing into gold by means of capitalism.

It has nothing to do with the truth to which Mr. Tolle points, but it does tend to make the one pointing so large in the seeker's field of vision that what is being pointed at becomes eclipsed by the one doing the pointing.

It helps to remember that Mr. Tolle and Mr. Tolle's "teaching" are there to make you "see" something.
After you "see" that something Mr. Tolle and his teaching become personally irrelevant --- but as long as Mr. Tolle and his teaching can "trick" others into "seeing" it is all still very much worth having around, even if certain aspects of it are priced well beyond the means of 98% of human beings.
Look deeply inside yourself and try to find yourself.
The ensuing failure is the true finding
---- Wu Hsin

ib42

Post by ib42 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:19 pm

But I can definitely see where a seeker would see all the accouterments of fame and fortune as a red flag warning them that yet another new age alchemist is attempting to turn human longing into gold by means of capitalism.

Sellers of truth abound, and the message in each ones arsenal is taken from a universal pool of teachings available to us anyway, polished and shined and resold in new packaging, by the same slick marketing experts who tell us how grand life will be if we only use brand X of toothpaste.
One of these spiritual teachers actually asked his followers for money (at the end of his best-selling book) to support a colleague of his supposedly in dire straits, who lives in a locale most of us only dream of and see in travel magazines!
The fact is,humans in general ARE asleep, and continue to to look to other more savvy humans for advice on how to live.
Promise me anything, but give me money.