Not sure what to think re: very high prices for Tolle events

Is he enlightened? Why does he charge so much money? Does he have an ego? All these unimportant issues and more =)
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Re: Not sure what to think re: very high prices for Tolle events

Post by erict » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:08 am

I think that only a person who doesn't understand Eckhart's teachings could discredit them based on Eckhart's apparent behavior. So, it's all good.

What if he was a saint when he wrote The Power of Now, but later, eventually becomes a serial killer. Should we then proclaim his teachings as false and deprive ourselves of something that may hold great value for us? His personality and morality are absolutely irrelevant to the teachings.

It is a fact that the tickets are much more expensive than they could be, even considering the capitalistic world we live in. It is a fact his teachings are being promoted and sold in a very commercial way, sometimes at preposterous prices. We do not know why, whether this is out of some kind of noble intentions or greed. Trying to justify the prices is just an attempt at defending him, in order to (indirectly) defend ourselves, because of deep association and identification with him and his teachings.

If you're really after enlightenment, than stop wasting your time on trying to figure out whether Eckhart Tolle is enlightened, and focus on what really matters. But if you want a comfortable idea of a spiritual teacher to identify, than, by all means, please continue.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

wrylass

Post by wrylass » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:40 am

Now that you mention it, it is more than I paid to see Tony Bennett :D ... but I have to admit that Eckhart's message is quite a bit more valuable. He isn't scheduled to come to my area, so I haven't had to consider the question for myself. I do know that he would be the first to say that no one needs to come see him, his message is in his books ...

People with gifts, whatever they may be, have to make a living just like the rest of us ...

Oswald2001

Post by Oswald2001 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:26 am

"Now that you mention it, it is more than I paid to see Tony Bennett :D ... "

Yeah, but, Tolle really puts his whole heart in it.

You don't get that with Tony Bennett. He left his heart in San Francisco. 8)

gretta

Post by gretta » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:01 am

Ahh...just apparent 'mind postions' on the arbitrary scale (of duality) of apparent 'illusion'.

What apparently 'arises' IS perfect exactly AS IS... every apparent 'NOW'....

as no 'arising' (illusion)...

no 'thing' ...

may add to nor take away from THIS (Wholeness/Stillness) 'Awareness' ...

perhaps

ahh Love

gretta

Intel

Post by Intel » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:34 am

I agree with erict. Just because Eckhart is enlightened doesn't mean he can't be greedy or overcharge people so he can have more money. He isn't perfect, and just because the ego is absent doesn't mean desires are absent. And this does not discredit his teachings.

I think people here put WAY too much emphasis on Eckhart's form. Its the teaching that matters.
I would lick your feet, but is that the sickest move?

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by erict » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:40 pm

This whole issue with the high prices seems to be creating a lot of cognitive dissonance for people. 8)

Some solve it by justifying Eckhart in that it doesn't only depend on him, or that we give a lot more money for less important things, or that these events really cost that much to organize or whatever... Others decide that Eckhart must not be really enlightened, or else of course he would live up to their standards of a true enlightened spiritual teacher. To me, it's very funny when unenlightened people start defining what an enlightened person should be like and how he should behave.

All in all, this is a good situation. What would be even better is if Eckhart turns out to be involved in some sex scandal. There will be a massive renunciation of his teachings by all those who didn't even understand them in the first place.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

coriolis

Post by coriolis » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:36 pm

erict wrote: All in all, this is a good situation. What would be even better is if Eckhart turns out to be involved in some sex scandal. There will be a massive renunciation of his teachings by all those who didn't even understand them in the first place.
I wouldn't have wanted a pedophile to teach sex education to my kids when they were in school even though the facts he imparted to them might be flawlessly correct.

You're right the truth is the truth whether you find it on a silver platter or a dung heap.

But if the person advertising the soap is loathe to use it when they are bathing themselves it isn't hard to understand that, while it may be perfectly fine soap, some of us might wonder if there weren't something wrong with it because they refused to use it on their own hide.

In other words, as probably anybody whos's raised children knows, what you teach by how you live your own life has a lot more impact than any words you speak, books you write, or seminars you teach....and, in my opinion, this is exactly as it should be.

Personally I don't feel Eckhart concerns himself too much with all this stuff.
But there may come a time when he should because, like it or not, the teacher can never be totally separate from the teaching.
Look deeply inside yourself and try to find yourself.
The ensuing failure is the true finding
---- Wu Hsin

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:36 pm

I think the problem here is that folks dont trust enlightenment because most of us speak from the outside position, hardly anybody here is enlightened lol, so we need some kind of proof like Tolle giving his clothes for free at satsangs perhaps to show us its true ? maybe he should just walk around naked to show the filth of forms :) , most of us here are stuck in the ego jumping from one form identification to another and so will be for some time lots of time, i mean
whoever tries this "soap" he will hardly stop rubbing it on himself, no matter if the soap costs 1000$ or 10 cents or if the teacher of it went insane after writing a great book, personally
i was never enlightened in the full sense to be first one to admit lol, but if i ever get enlightened i think all i ll say will be ....
in the words of Ecky......aaaaahhhhhh..... beautiful. :) Id loose all desire to criticize someone remotely responsable for it too. If we cant stop judging Tolle how can we accept something as death for gods sake.
I think its just wonderful that no matter what, who or where we are, if we like to endulge in sex, drugs, rock and sins of any kind, we can always find peace and Eckhart like one of many souls on this planet leads us to it, dont know about you but i thank him for it.
Free of need to be Free.

coriolis

Post by coriolis » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:35 pm

I probably shouldn't be a nitpicking idiot by jumping through hoops to explain the obvious to show that there never was really a "problem" at all, but here goes anyway:

There is bright side of the moon and a dark side which, though less visible, is also undeniably there.

If a teacher teaches that attachment to the "world of form" is an egoic illusion we may deem the teaching to be true and find it so in our own experience.
And our need for a "teacher" is immediately gone.

If later this teacher shows a marked "attachment to form" the truth is not changed for those who are aware that it is indeed "true".
However, for those still seeking who feel they need a "teacher", someone who cannot follow their own teaching is a huge barrier to credibility.

As a matter of compassion toward their "less advanced" peers teachers who purport to teach others how to live should practice what they teach or compassionately abdicate the position so that someone who can may step in.

I'm not saying that those who say whether or not you are enlightened has nothing to do with how Eckhart Tolle comports himself are wrong.
They're not.
But, one way or another, they've already got the message and don't need a teacher.
So if the teacher dresses up in a gorilla suit and pees on himself in the middle of the Sporting Goods section of WalMart on a regular basis it doesn't change what they know from their own experience one bit.
It may, however, lead one to believe that the teacher didn't understand his own teaching very well -- but (from the perspective of those who already "know") that's his problem.

To the members of Westboro Baptist Church who are convinced that homosexuality is a "hellfire and brimstone sin" the fact that a lawmaker in Washington who is vociferously on their side solicits sex from other males in airport restrooms is not likely to change their convictions at all. They'll just conclude he's a hypocrite and go on as though nothing happened.

For those who have not yet "got it" what they perceive as how well Eckhart Tolle's actions match up with what he teaches matters a great deal as, from their position and a long history of wolves in sheep's clothing popping up, it should.

The two sides of the issue in this thread need to come together and appreciate a larger reality than a dichotomy of differing opinions will allow.

In one sense, based on what he teaches, it does matter if Eckhart Tolle is trying to use his position as a teacher to become a wealthy man because it conflicts with the teaching.
In another sense it doesn't matter at all because nobody really "needs" a teacher anyway, they just aren't aware of it yet.
And both (within the proper context) are valid.
---- Wu Hsin

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:56 am

coriolis wrote: If later this teacher shows a marked "attachment to form" the truth is not changed for those who are aware that it is indeed "true".
However, for those still seeking who feel they need a "teacher", someone who cannot follow their own teaching is a huge barrier to credibility.
no logic here at all, just because of price for event that costs them more you derive this? try watching tolle satsang, or try reading his book and make minimal effort before judging him, man spends most of his time in solitude in stillness. jesus, ww close this, lol.
Free of need to be Free.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:23 pm

no logic here at all, just because of price for event that costs them more you derive this? try watching tolle satsang, or try reading his book and make minimal effort before judging him, man spends most of his time in solitude in stillness. jesus, ww close this, lol.
Now why would I want to close this thread? I'm finding it more entertaining than ever. :D

ps: Brahman, please clean up your caps, you're making us mods look bad to the many posters we've sent PM's to asking them to follow the rules. You're a long time and valued member. Help us set a good example. Thanks

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:49 pm

Lol, ok sorry mr.WW. :)

Back to the my train of thoughts at the bathroom about this thread :), let bring to light what Tolle did. Tolle made a great clean contribution wrote a great book, held countless satsangs, traveled all around the world, sat on park bench for two and half years, has a reputation of being a solitary person who likes to dwell in imeasurable space of present moment more then any tantric sex, drug or status. Everybody is aware of this and if not now sure will be soon, If this is not credible , if the person does not have enough common sense and looses credibility in Tolle after this then its not Tolles problem its problem of psychiatry.

Now i m not saying Tolle is perfect, if we go and nitpick we will see Bible is full of idealization of Jesus, Buddha was also not perfect like the stories say, but before we judge them lets see the nature of our judgment toward these people, the judgment itself has no value if we are to follow this pathless path, but even if we do judge Tolle what can we judge, sure not his contribution and the impact he had on countless lives, he changed my life from top to bottom, he saved so many people from going crazy in this ego driven way of life that totally rules the west, and all he gets is nitpicking from some people and lawyer babble ... , at least have decency to thank him.
Free of need to be Free.

coriolis

Post by coriolis » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:17 pm

BrahmanEternal wrote:Lol, ok sorry mr.WW. :)

Back to the my train of thoughts at the bathroom about this thread :), let bring to light what Tolle did. Tolle made a great clean contribution wrote a great book, held countless satsangs, traveled all around the world, sat on park bench for two and half years, has a reputation of being a solitary person who likes to dwell in imeasurable space of present moment more then any tantric sex, drug or status. Everybody is aware of this and if not now sure will be soon, If this is not credible , if the person does not have enough common sense and looses credibility in Tolle after this then its not Tolles problem its problem of psychiatry.

Now i m not saying Tolle is perfect, if we go and nitpick we will see Bible is full of idealization of Jesus, Buddha was also not perfect like the stories say, but before we judge them lets see the nature of our judgment toward these people, the judgment itself has no value if we are to follow this pathless path, but even if we do judge Tolle what can we judge, sure not his contribution and the impact he had on countless lives, he changed my life from top to bottom, he saved so many people from going crazy in this ego driven way of life that totally rules the west, and all he gets is nitpicking from some people and lawyer babble ... , at least have decency to thank him.
Namaste
Making a point is far less important pointing at the pointless.
---- Wu Hsin

shivak

Post by shivak » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:52 pm

If eckhart tolle uses his money for a noble cause, good.
If eckhart tolle uses his money to fullfill his secret needs, not so good.

I've never spent much money to go to a teacher.
In my opinion teaching should be free.

Maybe there is a organisation behind tolle,
who "made him big"... and they expect tolle to make money for them.

I have no idea what really happens to the money though!
I'm not too big of a fan of tolle anyway, i prefer much more Nisargadatta Maharaj's book "I AM THAT". :P
Last edited by shivak on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The mind is there to show you what is not real." - Nisargadatta Maharaj

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by erict » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:23 pm

So if someone dedicate his life to teaching, he should be destitute? And if he is to take money for it, he should only spend it on what society approves of, his students, or just you?

What do you do for a living, shivak? Do you do it for free?