Not sure what to think re: very high prices for Tolle events

Is he enlightened? Why does he charge so much money? Does he have an ego? All these unimportant issues and more =)

Re: Not sure what to think re: very high prices for Tolle events

Postby gdvant » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:01 am

From my perspective Eckhart's teachings are available at reasonable prices in the form of books, CDs, DVD-videos etc. There is no real 'need' to go see him, unless it is an experience you think will be enjoyable for you. It's a personal choice. Some people will spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on vacations all over the world in an attempt to relax and feel good. When you visit Eckhart you may relax, feel good and become more aware or not! Again, personal choice to allow this into your life or go in another direction.

gv: many of ET's books, talks, and retreats are available on CDs at the public library and are copied into iTunes at no cost to the user.
gdvant

Re: Not sure what to think re: very high prices for Tolle ev

Postby eddy hailwood » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:27 am

I am halfway thru reading the power of Now. It's a great book and has lead me to try and find out more about the author. Maybe since writing the book Mr Tolle has lost his way. To turn what he originally wrote into an industry is a shame. Now if the revenue is being used for a good cause that's different. As another contributor commented Jesus would hardly have behaved in the same way. That was his massive attraction.
I will carry on reading the book. I have never had the Power Of Now explained to me so well before. I shall treat all the other stuff as a lesson in life. Now where's my candle
eddy hailwood

Postby Sighclone » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:27 am

Welcome eddy!

There are many views on ETs financial / business decisions. One is that he is a fine teacher and deserves an appropriate income. Since we do not know how much he earns, what the overhead for his company is, how much he donates, etc., since our knowledge is so limited, any judgement would be based on pure speculation. Unless you have audited finanical / tax records for him.

I believe he has a very articulate way of presenting the fundamental superconscious reality we experience. I also, now, think that he downplays the joys and opportunities of "little me" living...of life in form. But that is utterly forgivable considering how few people have even a glimpse of unity, and how gently and meaningfully he speaks.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby AxelSituation » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Agreed.

I've run events before, so I know what it basically costs. I actually think ET charges way too little.
Especially compared to the higher level of his teaching, and the advancement of his concepts.

You must also ask yourself, "Compared to what?" Other popular teachers do not teach at this same level,
so their pricing is not indicative to the takeaway wisdom gained. I think ET's price is very humble and modest.
AxelSituation

Postby EckhartMastery » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:28 am

ET has plans to build his own temple/retreat location. I know he can manifest like a pro, but he can just visualise it into being. He must use resources, resources cost money.
He does not live above his means, well so he says, but I trust him.
If ET only covers his costs for the shows then there will be no profit to expand.
Money is only a measurement of contribution. People spend $100,000's on cars when one worth $30,000 will do almost the exact same thing. So if some pays an extra $100,000 for car that's a bit prettier, faster and has a few more gadgets, in order to feel a false sense of pleasure for a while, then surely for the price of a week of groceries can we receive the greatest gift of all, spiritual enlightenment?

You can even buy a full outfit for $100!!

Guys, like the mind, money is not evil, it is a tool, you use it, then place it down.

I believe that every dollar of profit goes to either new projects, or compensating those who allow the projects to come in manifestation.
EckhartMastery

Postby kiki » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:43 pm

ET has plans to build his own temple/retreat location.

Really? I didn't know that since I don't really keep track of ET current events. That may answer some of his critics when it comes to what he's doing with his money. But I'll wager this: he won't call it a temple - that word carries too much baggage. Religious fanatics already demonize him and this would be further proof to them that he is the "antichrist." Even so, no matter what he calls it there will be no shortage of people who will take potshots at him for it. I'll get my popcorn ready and enjoy the show.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby magicbutterfly » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:46 am

It's a matter of supply and demand as well. Hockey games, rock concerts, Oprah live in Vancouver, Dalai Lama, ET - no one is twisting your arm to attend. If I want a dress I like because it makes me feel good, I don't question how much it costs to make it in China - I either buy or not. Don't think about it or it will add one more problem to your pain body. :D
"As soon as you honor the present moment, all unhappiness and struggle dissolve, and life begins to flow with joy and ease." Ekhart Tolle, The Power of Now
magicbutterfly

Postby Tiat » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:09 pm

I tend to have much less interest these days in the biog or history of the "teacher", be it ET or Byron Katie or Karl Renz (my favorite three) and more on the message. Example, BK has a number of books and in reality they are all unnecessary, all one needs is the worksheet. We tend to make the messenger the message.
Tiat

Postby painBody » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:20 pm

Webwanderer wrote:Suppose Jesus were alive today and giving talks and personal appearances. What would it cost to see him? As he charges nothing it's free. Yippee! Oh wait, He's in Jeruselem and I'm not. No problem, I'll just hop a plane for $700 to a $1000, spend another $400 to $600 on lodging, give up several days pay at work and take advantage of that free talk. (These numbers are arbitrary of course, I have no idea what plane fare to Jeruselem and lodging would be)

What does it cost to live in todays world, pay a staff wages and travel out of town, including hotel expences for all, conference rooms, etc. I don't know the answer to that either, but I suspect it isn't cheap. All I am saying here is that without knowing the economics of his heart he deserves a little Tolle-rance.

First off, I absolutely agree.

Secondly, "Tolle-rance." LMMFAO !!! :lol:
painBody

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:57 am

Kudos painbody for digging up an ancient thread. I wonder how many bother to read the old threads.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby painBody » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:57 am

WW, yeah, there's a lot of wisdom buried in "the past", a mind form :twisted:

I will say this ... I like to look at time stamps of old posts and think about what I was doing at that point in my life ... and sometimes, the thought, "What if I had discovered ET by then ?" crosses my mind :)

Back to the point of this thread, people seem to have a hard time separating the question "Are his teachings beneficial to me ?" from the question "Do I respect Tolle as a human being ?". They're unable to see that those are two separate concerns.
painBody

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:03 pm

Just don't let the 'what ifs' of the past detract from the appreciation of the present. It's all good - more so as we see it that way.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Sighclone » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:31 am

Tolle's message rings clear because it is an accessible expression of a deep and universal truth. The concept of "no-self" in Buddhism is fascinating and compelling as a concept, so is "satori" and "enlightenment." It's a great hook for the curious mind. But for it to become a personal, waking reality, some experience beyond the charm of the concept is required. Both Jiddu and U. G. Krishnamurti and also Ramesh Balsekar took some heat in their personal lives...and what about Osho!! But all of them have written in such a way that many others could feel a message emerging between the lines of prose.

Gurus that encourage us to "come back for more" are more suspect than those who say "Now you go away and do some self-inquiry and meditate." A person might attend 50 workshops and not advance. Another might be doing the dishes and wake up (Suzanne Segal.) I think Tolle has sort of given over his management to some team of advisors, and that means a payroll and that means more appearances and audiotapes. He's like a big factory. For me, less is more. But for many, more is more, I guess.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby painBody » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:40 pm

Sighclone wrote:I believe he has a very articulate way of presenting the fundamental superconscious reality we experience.

I also, now, think that he downplays the joys and opportunities of "little me" living...of life in form.

Andy

I believe that you, Andy, have a very articulate way of describing ET's work ! This is a great summary.

Now, I find the second sentence fascinating. I've never considered that before - that he downplays the joys of life in form. I'm also curious why you say that, because, from the talks I've heard, I gather that he actually speaks quite highly of life in form. He says things like, "Play with the world of form. Gather new knowledge, experiences, wealth. Why not ? It's beautiful. Just don't lose yourself in it." So, I'm curious as to why you feel he downplays the life of form ... if you could elaborate a bit. I'm not suggesting you're wrong, I just wonder if I've misinterpreted Tolle.

I hope you'll allow this pickiness with terminology, but ET would not associate the word "joy" with life in form. To him, the word "joy" equates to the joy of being (i.e. formless life). I agree with him, because joy is unipolar and has no opposite. It is "happiness" that does have an opposite, and perhaps, is a more apt word to describe the temporary and superficial highs of life in form.

But again, you wrote a great and articulate summary, and I enjoyed reading it.
painBody

Postby dijmart » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:52 pm

Hi PB,

I hope you'll allow this pickiness with terminology, but ET would not associate the word "joy" with life in form.

I know you're asking Andy, but something came to mind when I read this.

ET talkes about "awakened doing" where he is referring to the body/mind and says there are 3 modes of awakened doing- acceptance, enjoyment and enthusiasm.

I think joy is implied, when he says "en-joy-ment". Just my 2 cents, as usual. :lol:
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

PreviousNext

Return to Eckhart Tolle - The Person