Dalai Lama/Spritual Teachers money/possessions

Is he enlightened? Why does he charge so much money? Does he have an ego? All these unimportant issues and more =)

Dalai Lama/Spritual Teachers money/possessions

Postby SatisfiedOne » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:25 am

Dalai Lama simply gives his money away and seems to be satisfied with his few meager possessions. I'm not sure about Eckhart or others.

I am only a school teacher with a modest income and my wife is the same, but we seem to keep so much and give away so little. Our charitable contributions come only after we/I have what I want. I'm not sure how to feel about this.

I suppose many awakened beings, teachers and otherwise have possessions beyond need, but when is one being drawn into the world of egoic desire? Is okay to get a new car, bigger house, larger television, faster computer when you "want" one?
SatisfiedOne

Re: Dalai Lama/Spritual Teachers money/possessions

Postby DWBH1953 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:54 am

SatisfiedOne wrote:Dalai Lama simply gives his money away and seems to be satisfied with his few meager possessions. I'm not sure about Eckhart or others.

I am only a school teacher with a modest income and my wife is the same, but we seem to keep so much and give away so little. Our charitable contributions come only after we/I have what I want. I'm not sure how to feel about this.

I suppose many awakened beings, teachers and otherwise have possessions beyond need, but when is one being drawn into the world of egoic desire? Is okay to get a new car, bigger house, larger television, faster computer when you "want" one?

You will probably get a lot of responses to your post.
I can tell you ET, Ayda ,Gangaji and a few others are very wealthy people when folks have best sellers, go on Oprah etc your talking wealthy not just rich.
I would also like to think that they are also very charitable beings.
The other thing is everyone is not a Dalai Lama.

This has been a hot button for me for a long time.
It is true though non duality has becaome a very good business and you do have some clever talkers out there that are making lots of money telling people just what they want to hear. My personal view is that spirituality should be free and not charged for.
But this is the US where people are use to paying for everything so why not spirituality.
This is the reason why so many gurus came to the US to get rich, I have been around enough of them to say this. Is it wrong I dunno I try not to judge it.

I come from the old school where real masters of the trade would work normal jobs providing for their family and share spirituality with as many that wanted it.
In India too you have some ery rich gurus but most of them are not, they give away most of what they have simply because making money is not high on their list.
I could never take tons of money off a spiritual book I have written it just would not seem to be right action but that is me. I do believe in making youself whole which would include charging for my costs and time but beyond that I would not take but many many do.
Thank you for your question
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana
DWBH1953

Postby SatisfiedOne » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:14 am

I always wondered about how wealth and charity are balanced in awakened hands. Is there a reason for being wealthy over a "Dalai Lama" kind of lifestyle?

I almost wish I didn't just hear you say Eckhart was so wealthy. I guess it's obvious now that i think about it, but denial had me thinking he was in a hut on the beach, lol.
SatisfiedOne

Postby doug » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:23 am

SatisfiedOne wrote:Dalai Lama simply gives his money away and seems to be satisfied with his few meager possessions. I'm not sure about Eckhart or others.

Your question seems to be coming from a position of guilt brought on by judgement.

Is it that you believe that you would be a "better person" if you gave more?
doug

Postby DWBH1953 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:36 am

SatisfiedOne wrote:I always wondered about how wealth and charity are balanced in awakened hands. Is there a reason for being wealthy over a "Dalai Lama" kind of lifestyle?

I almost wish I didn't just hear you say Eckhart was so wealthy. I guess it's obvious now that i think about it, but denial had me thinking he was in a hut on the beach, lol.

Well just a little common sense when you sell millions and millions of books and then you sign on with Oprah you are wealthly now what is done with the money later who knows.
Why would you think otherwise? I know you mentioned denial so I am wondering where is that coming from? I look at this way more then less of the very rich are folks I certainly would not wish to be around ET is not one of them. He is helping a lot of people.
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana
DWBH1953

Postby doug » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:58 pm

SatisfiedOne wrote:I always wondered about how wealth and charity are balanced in awakened hands. Is there a reason for being wealthy over a "Dalai Lama" kind of lifestyle?

He has described walks through the woods at home with a dog and a camera. He isn't struggling with material success.
doug

Postby SatisfiedOne » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:44 pm

You know, by even asking such questions I am in at state of resistance. I sometimes find myself trying to analyze/understand/contemplate everything or label it and give it a purpose.
SatisfiedOne

Postby doug » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:54 pm

SatisfiedOne wrote:You know, by even asking such questions I am in at state of resistance. I sometimes find myself trying to analyze/understand/contemplate everything or label it and give it a purpose.

"ego coming in the back door?"... as ET describes
doug

Postby Alphonzen » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:59 pm

Forget these teachers. I don't think it matters what these teachers do, they could all be frauds for all I care!

But the real question you should be asking is, what do I do? what is my truth? Its your responsibility to find out.

Like the buddhist saying: If you see the buddha, kill him. Which means, be a light unto yourself.
Alphonzen

Postby eagle2phoenix » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:16 pm

As mentioned in the other thread re ET charging too much for his talks, we need to understand the modus operandi of the different teachers.

The Dalai Lama is an institution, he has many sponsors and sympathizers who make huge contributions to his "cause" or temple so that they receive "good karma". How do you think his residence in India was built? The Dalai Lama travels as a deposed leader of a country called Tibet, all fare and board fully paid for. He is a monk, he needs to don a monk suit. Can you imagine if he wore a suit? :lol:

Other teachers ask for donations on their websites and centers. Some people do make very large contributions to teachers who impact upon them, more often on a physical level and not a spiritual manner. Most of these people put their palms together to pay respect to these teachers without feeling any presence. I know because I have seen people doing that in Malaysia. They just contribute so that they can "enjoy better karma" or have "obstacles removed" for supporting the causes or temples.

ET does not do all that. He just relies on his books and his talks. He does not ask for donations or contribution on his website. He does not have a center.

I feel that we need to look at things objectively so that there is no negative thoughts going around this forum.

Love & Light
Life is fascinating. Nature is beautiful. Live life with nature.
eagle2phoenix

Postby lucy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Here we go again folks... If this isn't proof that the mind is a fascist and loves to perpetuate its own existence, I don't know what is.
lucy

Postby Tony-S-Ma » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:15 pm

Teachers may be free from the grasp of their personal mind structures, but they may not be free from their personal karma. Using money/possession as a tool to measure teachers is a way of intellect/reason/logic.

It works like this: The known great teachers such as Buddha, Jesus had not interests in money/possession. In the present, a person seems to have interest in money/possession; therefore, s/he may not be a true teacher.

The problem with such reasoning is due to the fact that the focus is only on the manifested reality. In other words, some people take the impermanent money/possession too seriously, and miss the essence.

The manifestation of Enlightenment may take on different forms in different periods of human history. Insisting on form matching current teachers with historic teachers is misleading. Part of the problem of organized religions is such form matching. It is very hard to get out of the historic forms of practice and embrace the changeless essence from which the forms manifest.
Tony-S-Ma

Postby karmarider » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:30 pm

I don't remember who said this, and I'm paraphrasing: we tend to equate awakening with perfection of personality. If we take away all the concepts around awakening, awakening is simply being natural. We could of argue all day long about what 'natural' means. In naturalness, we can see Truth and we experience the joy of simply being. There aren't any requirements to do good. The body/mind will always retain preferences: Nisgardatta smoked and ate meat (unusual for an Indian mystic), Tolle is shy and makes truckloads of money, and so on. Some like Ramana Mahirishi and Dalai Lama seem to embrace presence completely, but then who's to say that their lifestyles are or are not borne of preferences? Give money to charity if it pleases you; if you feel you should, then look into the shoulding with presence. There is so much gained when shoulding is lost.
karmarider

Postby Sighclone » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:24 pm

Well said, karmarider.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby lucy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:48 pm

I agree Karmarider. Money is not the root of evil; lack of money is.
lucy

Next

Return to Eckhart Tolle - The Person