Eckhart Bashing - Bring It On

Is he enlightened? Why does he charge so much money? Does he have an ego? All these unimportant issues and more =)
doug

Re: Eckhart Bashing - Bring It On

Post by doug » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:10 pm

RANDJI!!!! WHAT'S UP!!!

Alfred was from MAD MAGAZINE!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:22 pm

Heidi,

You just totally reconfigured my perspective; Alfred E. Newman as a non-dual teacher. Wow! I had a ritual in my pre-teen years, buy a Mad magazine and a pack of bubble gum....now I'll have to read PON while blowing bubbles!
Be present, be pleasant.

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:30 pm

doug wrote:RANDJI!!!! WHAT'S UP!!!

Alfred was from MAD MAGAZINE!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oops! I should had know it was something like that!
thanks
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana

Juno

Post by Juno » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:37 pm

heidi wrote:I think he looks like Alfred E. Newman. What me worry?
:lol:
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:42 pm

Randji wrote:I only have issue with the commerical way he goes about selling non duality.

If your take on his activities is accurate (much of which is speculative), is he "wrong" for doing so? Is he harming others?

WW

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:49 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
Randji wrote:I only have issue with the commerical way he goes about selling non duality.

If your take on his activities is accurate (much of which is speculative), is he "wrong" for doing so? Is he harming others?

WW
I would not put it in those terms wrong or right. I have no idea if people have been harmed or not. Again I have issue with this, it comes from my own personal opinion with anyone gets rich from selling spirituality IOWs WW it gives me a sort of sick feeling in my stomach.
You are asking for me to make a Judgment on him and I do not make Judgments if anything what may sound like a judgment is just myself observing.
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:33 pm

Randji wrote:You are asking for me to make a Judgment on him and I do not make Judgments if anything what may sound like a judgment is just myself observing.
I'm not asking you "to" make a judgment, I'm asking if you are making a judgment?
it comes from my own personal opinion with anyone gets rich from selling spirituality IOWs WW it gives me a sort of sick feeling in my stomach.
What is the origin of this sick feeling? Is something being resisted? Could their be a sacred cow in harms way? An arbitrary standard of behaviour that appears to be violated?

I'm not sure anyone can sell spirituallity. At best they may sell some pointers, or the right to be in their presence, or both. A fair question is: do they entice people to part with their money through false advertising. Or do they offer something the buyer wants and for an agreed upon price, presents it with integrity. We all know Tolle offers nothing that isn't available elsewhere at a lesser price or even free. But if it angers us, or distresses us, is that Tolle's doings or a result of our own lenses of perception?

I wouldn't spend a bunch of money to see Tolle. But I'm also not concerned that he charges a lot. There are actually those who gain more value by spending money on something than if they got it for free. Maybe Tolle's expensive workshops, retreats and personal appearances are designed to appeal to those - but I'm just speculating...

WW

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:49 pm

Webwanderer wrote: but I'm just speculating...

WW
Yes you are in many ways but that is fine. I work very hard at not making judements.
I this case I aleady told you it is a obsveration.

I will not debate this with you any more it is clear to me you see that it is perfectly OK to sell Spirituality and I do not it is really that simple if it were not be would not continue to have this conversation.
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Sri Ramana

doug

Post by doug » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:59 pm

Thanks Andy for posting this thread.

Through this thread I have learned of my own defensiveness/resistance on this subject of judging and criricizing people, including spiritual teachers.

Also the thread creates a place to refer folks like "occum" that come here solely with a personal agenda ax to grind.

mistral

Post by mistral » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:56 pm

I think its wierd that we do not want to pay and support those who are doing the honest work of "God' so to speak. Those who are helping and NOT hurting others, they should be the ones who get paid. Eckhart is certainly deserving of all the riches he recieves from his work...why not? There are a rare few, those who really know the Truth and Live It....It would be so difficult to be in his position, at least I think so, i would not like it at all...Good for him, to be so brave....and how does he stay 'with the Truth of who he is' or 'not loose sight' of The Grace that Leads him, when so much is heaped on him...not an easy task....

The world scene, the mirror of our self, is deep in turmoil brought on by total confusion about "who we are" and the complete despair in not knowing just what is "Real".. Duped by 'not knowing our Real Identity" we should be loving to support those who get us back to our True Selfhood, or those who remind us of Our True Identity... these are the ones who should be getting our support.... Yes, The Light of Truth is Free and Here for all to See and Be...but, if you are turned around the wrong way, so to speak, and lookiing into the 'unreal' for your answers, then Good Lord, and Haleluja when someone comes along and turns us around, so at least we can be looking in the right direction....If they point to Here Within and Tell us of our True Nature and they get us to find our own Way and Trust in Our Own Self, how much more could we want than that....That is a True Gift...the one and Only Gift that is worth anything.

Merry Angel-Mistral
Last edited by mistral on Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:09 pm

Since we generally agree that the fundamental written, and CD versions of Eckhart's work are not expensive, at least compared to most other teachers, we are left with the cost of his talks. The Oprah webinars were free, and remarkable. During that period, ANE cost $7.99 in Spokane, for a new copy.

On April 25th, in Phoenix, AZ, USA, you can hear him speak for 2 hours for $65. I think that compares favorably with rock concerts for international stars.

But even if it were $650, the free market is the determining measure. The complaint "he is too expensive," is actually "he is too expensive for my budget." And that says more about the complainer than the lecturer. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Does anyone have a copy of ET's profit and loss statement? Does anyone know how much he has given to charity or what his will reads like? Absent those important facts, all we can talk about as complainers is how much we can afford. And then, only for the talks...the writing is cheap.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:32 pm

Exellent points, Andy.

In addition I suspect that much of the business structure around him is not of his own doing, but the result of an organizational effort to promote his teachings to the world. At some point this may become unwholesome or greedy, but one hopes that ET would have enough control and will to rein it in.
Be present, be pleasant.

Juno

Post by Juno » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:03 pm

I just trust in What is.
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

heidi

Post by heidi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:22 pm

I don't think ET is commercial, but he is very popular thanks to Oprah and such. Everyone needs to make a living, and how lucky for him that he gets to share his work and get paid for it. We discuss his work here; doesn't cost you a cent.

Sometimes notoriety happens all of itself. I think anyone who has done the effort certainly deserves to enjoy the spoils.
So, to you sour grapes people, I say, what's it to you?
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

Juno

Post by Juno » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:26 pm

I agree Heidi. So well put.
Huang Po