Eckhart Bashing - Bring It On

Is he enlightened? Why does he charge so much money? Does he have an ego? All these unimportant issues and more =)

Re: Eckhart Bashing - Bring It On

Postby mukau » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:13 pm

If you could take your understanding (however perfect or imperfect it is) and share it with a wider world, would you?

It seems to me that ET is using the things that are available to him to do what he wants to do. If Oprah wanted me to come talk, would I? Yes, probably. All I'd care about would be my intention, not the machinery I was speaking through. If I had something to say and I could say it in book form, would I? Yes, probably. So books need money to produce and distribute. You can't make them for free or give them to people for free either. It physically just doesn't happen.

Since all wealth is relative, everyone of us reading or writing this might be wealthier (by far!) than millions of others. Like ET, maybe, I'd hope to be at one with the present moment whatever the level of material wealth around me.
mukau

Postby OnlyNow » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:39 pm

I agree mukau
When the Pupil is ready the Master appears
OnlyNow

Postby jugu » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:04 am

He has no idea what he is talking about
jugu

Postby Sighclone » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:40 am

Welcome back, jugu...how are things going?

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby letitgo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:59 pm

OK Andy... I'll bite...

First of all I could never bash ET. After seeing him on Oprah, the very thing that turned many people off, I found a tenderness and unattachment that could only be viewed with compassion and respect. However...

I wish he would talk more about religion, but I know why he doesn't. I wish he would talk about reincarnation, but I know why he doesn't. I wish he would talk about choosing something better and higher rather than unconditional acceptance of sickness and pain, but I know why he doesn't.

He doesn't because he is doing what he is doing and saying what he is saying without attachment. This may leave me with questions, but if he stated he had all the answers, he would be egoic. And he's not.

So I guess, with the exception of this post, I'll suffer in silence. (Hey, that's what I was just complaining about!)

Norm
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
letitgo

Postby beYOND4m » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:36 pm

:?: “As someone who’s done a lot of yoga and bodywork, for many years, I always felt there was some correlation between spirituality and good posture.

Then I saw YOU.

What a shock.

My first thought was, ‘How can someone with your posture be so blooming (spiritually) and wouldn’t you be even more spiritual… if you did some corrective bodywork?’

My second thought was, ‘I am a blooming idiot...’

:arrow: Eckhart Tolle - Journey Into Yourself
:lol: Eckhart read this written question out loud, during the question and answer portion of this four-day retreat. The laughter of both Eckhart and the attendees grew louder after each sentence was read.
beYOND4m

Postby Sighclone » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:30 pm

Very funny - "beyond form", indeed!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:32 pm

Who says there's no humor in enlightenment? :lol:
Webwanderer

Postby jugu » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:46 pm

Hey andy, things are going terribly, as usual, haha. I basically resent Tolle because of how big of a disappointment his whole teachings are. I mean, they're great for someone who's had a real hard life living through ego and needs some relief, but for a young and impressionable man like myself who is only looking for a way to live, they're disastrous. I took the teachings to heart, I took them all the way, all the way to the truth and it's done nothing but made my life hell. In small doses, Eckhart is great guys, but try not to take him as seriously as I have.
jugu

Postby highlife66 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:19 am

jugu wrote: I took the teachings to heart, I took them all the way, all the way to the truth and it's done nothing but made my life hell.

Hi jugu,
are you saying truth is hell or your truth is hell.
Do not seek after what you yearn for, seek the source of the yearning itself.
highlife66

Postby jugu » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:19 am

the truth is probably hell. I can't even say that though. Lets just say it's not bliss, it's not "true self", and its not peace... basically whatever eckhart says it is, it isn't... it's all lies, or at least, misunderstandings.
Last edited by jugu on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jugu

Postby jugu » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:27 am

Basically, I don't think truth should be honestly pursued until old age... Because everyones gonna die anyways right? and when you die you have no choice but to face the truth whatever it may be right? So if you as a "person" is so intent on achieving enlightenment, why not wait until just before you die? Isn't that really what the teachings imply? that it really dosn't matter when you do it? Lets face it, society doesn't really adapt well to blissheads like eckhart. I don't mean to seem harsh but thats exactly what this philosophy promises you, that you'll be walking around without a care in the world... well, the basic premise of any action is that you felt obligated to act correct? and if you really are operating ego free why would you feel the need to change anything?
jugu

Postby jugu » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:38 am

Another big beef I have with eckhart and non-dualism is that it really makes you quite a dull person if you think of it. If you aim at being completely at "one" with everything, you cease becoming an individual and thus you become as dull as a potato. Think, without dualistic thought their would be no music, literature, art, acedemics, language, basically no expression at all, because apparently there is nothing to express, we just all know deep down inside right? I don't believe any expression is possible in a non-dual mode of mind. I have experienced bouts of creativity at times due to non-dualism but I would say these bouts were due to the releasing of egoic tension rather than being generated by some force in the moment. It was more of a "burning up of the ego.
jugu

Postby jugu » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:52 am

I'm sorry, one more bash before I go to bed, I also find it incredibly frustrating how Eckhart and other non-dualists can so uncompassionately sweep away any problems people have by saying it's just "the ego" and they don't actually exist. I really don't like how the ego is objectified, and how most people feel like they have to simply rid themselves of it like a bad case of headlice. The way most non-dualists seem to put it is that everyone else is playing some childish games while the buddhas get to play with the big boys. As if a buddha has any advantage in life whatsoever. The way "enlightened" people talk about the ego is incredibly similar to the jedi mind tricks of Star Wars- "You do not have any problems what soever"- "I-do-Not-Have-een-an-E-prob-lems-what-so-ev-er"

Please folks, my comments aren't meant to be mailcious, I'm just trying to be hypercritical, and of course, always for the truth.
jugu

Postby Onceler » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:11 pm

I hear you jugu, I really admire your honesty. I have certainly felt in a similar way to what you're expressing. Of course you're absolutely right; everything you say comes from your context and is true for you. And, of course, you're wrong in that you are infering ideas and notions into others experiences that you don't really know about. I assume you are on the young side of life and you may be on to something, that this is for older folks, or at least older for you. When I was in my 20's I was obsessed with zen, but just wasn't ready for it, no matter how much I wanted "it". I put it aside and got my life squared away, relationships, career, etc. and then ET suprised me and drew me back to non-dualism....and I was ready; I had a different context.

Go live your life, don't be dull, see what happens.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

PreviousNext

Return to Eckhart Tolle - The Person