Why So Expensive?

Is he enlightened? Why does he charge so much money? Does he have an ego? All these unimportant issues and more =)

Why So Expensive?

Postby OneLove » Thu May 28, 2009 6:12 am

How do non-dual teachers like Eckhart justify their outrageous business efforts. ET sells his one book that he claims is the only book necessary yet he made another one which was completely useless. He's diversified his products so much, meditation books, audio tapes, sat sang recordings, meditation cards, paid internet streaming. To see Eckhart live costs n arm and a leg. All these costs and buisness ventures seem very un-spiritual. If he only has one fundamental message to share to the world, why does he put a price tag on most of it and why does he keep on doing these spinoffs? Why does he charge so much? It would be one thing if he was using all that money to bridge class gaps and ease suffering around the world but he's not at all! He is for-profit. What does that man need all that money for? It just seems so deceptive.
OneLove
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:50 am

Re: WhySo Expensive?

Postby Awareness » Thu May 28, 2009 7:09 am

It's not his fault, but you have to listen to the Costa Rica retreat in order to see that.
Instead on focusing on him for the answer try to focus in the circle of people that seem to surround every successful teacher.
Awareness
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:01 am

Re: WhySo Expensive?

Postby nodoubt » Thu May 28, 2009 7:14 am

OneLove wrote:How do non-dual teachers like Eckhart justify their outrageous business efforts. completely useless. ,sang recordings, meditation cards, . To see Eckhart live costs n arm and a leg. All these costs and buisness ventures seem very un-spiritual. . What does that man need all that money for? It just seems so deceptive.



hello onelove

I don't mind any of this.

Go to YouTube lots of free stuff there-been there quite a while,have not seen any law suits yet.

Eckhart sells a book, so he makes a little ,the publishers makes some,his agent and maybe a few truck drivers.

Wait a few years and you can get discounts at Borders. I'm not bothered living in a free market economy.

The price of inner peace - everything. Total surrender to what is,labels and concepts -all so heavy. :)
nodoubt
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:04 am

Re: WhySo Expensive?

Postby Plorel » Thu May 28, 2009 9:36 am

Hey OneLove

I recommend you to use the search function. There was a topic "re: high prices Tolle events" with over hundret posts, which covers this topic in detail.

You could imo also question your believs about what spirituality is. After all its your story about how spirituality should look like that tells you that being spiritual has nothing to do with money. Where is the proof for that? If there is no seperation, only one life and one conciousness than making money is certainly a part of it. Only an unexamined story about reality could keep me from seeing that. And that hurts.

have a great day
stefan
Who am I without my story?
Plorel
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: WhySo Expensive?

Postby anne » Fri May 29, 2009 10:34 am

As mentioned, there is another location where this topic is covered and by the number of responses there, it is surely a topic that attracts a lot of interest!

Clearly you don't have much time for Tolle's work in A New Earth and don't see the value of other products such as the recordings. For myself and others, these have been wonderful and also very non-essential. As Tolle says, only the teachings of Power of Now are really needed to provide some pointers. He surely could have marketed this differently and pushed all his prodeucts as being necessary, yet he didn't.

How can you know where someone else's money is or is not utilised?

anne
anne
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:35 am
Location: Western Australia

Re: WhySo Expensive?

Postby Grautgramsen » Fri May 29, 2009 1:37 pm

OneLove wrote:How do non-dual teachers like Eckhart justify their outrageous business efforts. ET sells his one book that he claims is the only book necessary yet he made another one which was completely useless. He's diversified his products so much, meditation books, audio tapes, sat sang recordings, meditation cards, paid internet streaming. To see Eckhart live costs n arm and a leg. All these costs and buisness ventures seem very un-spiritual. If he only has one fundamental message to share to the world, why does he put a price tag on most of it and why does he keep on doing these spinoffs? Why does he charge so much? It would be one thing if he was using all that money to bridge class gaps and ease suffering around the world but he's not at all! He is for-profit. What does that man need all that money for? It just seems so deceptive.


It is really very simple: You spend money on seeing Eckhart and on buying his books, DVDs etc - or you don't. In either case, what do you gain from making a fuss about it and having an opinion about whether it's good, bad or anything else? You think he ought to spend money on bridging class gaps and easing suffering around the world, but how do you know that he isn't spending money on such causes? Have you asked him? In any case, it is irrelevant how Eckhart spends his money, because how is that ever going to make any difference to you?

In my opinion, Eckhart is one of the few people today who is actively helping humanity to make a much needed quantum leap in consciousness. He does this not only through his teaching as outlined in his books, DVDs etc, but more importantly through his awakened state of consciousness, through manifesting the new consciousness that he quite rightfully claims is necessary for humanity to survive. In light of this, the cost of accessing his teaching is a non-issue. The essence of his teaching is there in both The Power of Now and A New Earth, and the cost of both books is negligible.
Grautgramsen
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 10:50 am
Location: South Yorkshire, England

Re: WhySo Expensive?

Postby OneLove » Fri May 29, 2009 5:42 pm

I'm not questioning the teachings, but the teacher. It just seems grossly hypocritical for an "enlightened" teacher to be so greedy. If he's truly egoless and enlightened why doesn't he do all his work and teachings pro bono, charge to cover publishing costs etc... He has a seemingly endless line of products. He's done so much, why doesn't he just retire? He's made enough money to do that and he's certainly made enough media to enlighten the planet. His actions seem to mirror an egoic corporation exactly, continuously producing different products to convince the customer that theres always more and that he might be missing out.

My point is that there is really no reason for him to make any more money off any of his merchandise and the fact that he still is/does makes me seriously doubt his claim to enlightenment. You might say that this issue is completely separate from the truth of his teachings, and maybe thats true.Since ET is dispensing radical life advise to the whole world and our group here in particular seems to be taking it especially to the heart, we should really make sure that the source of this advice is legitimate. By legitimate I mean not a lie.

This issue can only be remedied by facts. Facts showing that the enormous amounts of revenue that ET is acquiring are going towards helping humanity rather than ET's wallet,
OneLove
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:50 am

Re: WhySo Expensive?

Postby Tara » Fri May 29, 2009 5:58 pm

As someone "trying" to live in the now I see Tolle and others like him this way:

First of I have been practicing MMOB (mind my own business) so what money he makes, what he does with it is non of my biz
Do we REALLY know how much he actually makes, how much he has in his bank account, WHAT he does with it???

As far as books, vidoes cd's etc. yes it all points to NOT needing any of this but to SEE that may take this or that book, person/teacher, video etc to SEE that. (what "works" for one may not work for another)

OneLove wrote:This issue can only be remedied by facts. Facts showing that the enormous amounts of revenue that ET is acquiring are going towards helping humanity rather than ET's wallet,


His money should help humanity?? His teaching should help humanity? Who are we to judge him or what he does? If I find value in his teachings and I can use it in my life to help humanity if that is what I end I finding I need to do...then so be it. Otherwise I move on. If I start judging or picking apart situations, people etc I am back in my mind suffering, and actually doing the same thing I would "think" they are doing.

Thanx for this post. It helps me to keep on my toes with my thoughts and judgements.
Tara
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:15 pm

Re: WhySo Expensive?

Postby OneLove » Sat May 30, 2009 1:07 am

Tara wrote:His money should help humanity?? His teaching should help humanity? Who are we to judge him or what he does?


It's not just him, it's the mass movement towards consciousness. We got into this to end suffering and all find peace so if he isn't trying his best then what is this really about? Hedonism?

Minding our own business you say? Not giving a hoot about anyone else's situation because we're so caught up in our comfy western lifestyle to even care? That's something I'm not down with. I'm not cool with "minding my own buisness" and completely forget that theres tons of people in the world who are striving to stay alive. Sorry, not my kind of spirituality. Mine's the compassionate kind, the one that says "I give a hoot", the one which stands up to injustice, not the nihilistic head-to-the-sidewalk think for-your-self kind.

But anyways, I digress. The point is that Eckhart may be a clever profiteer who just led us off a cliff. Has anyone heard of any humanitarian work he's done with the oodles of cash he bathes in?
OneLove
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:50 am

Re: WhySo Expensive?

Postby Tara » Sat May 30, 2009 3:21 am

I re-read my post and it sounded harsh...did not mean it that way..I think I was talking to myself...lol.

But about minding my own business, it doesn't mean I won't help someone in distress or not take a stand against injustice, it just means (I hope-cause I really am a baby with all this) that I will come from a different place than before and probably in my case be more helpful, compassionate etc.

I am certainly not comfy in my situation but would like to be comfy in ANY situation and then that will lead to a "good" giving.
Tara
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:15 pm

Re: WhySo Expensive?

Postby HermitLoon » Sat May 30, 2009 11:27 am

Yes Tara - love ya - it's called "Awakened Doing" :D

Peace
Peace
HermitLoon
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Good Question

Re: WhySo Expensive?

Postby Sighclone » Sun May 31, 2009 9:24 pm

Lacking an audited cash-flow statement from all of Eckhart's personal and business enterprises, no one can comment with any authority...so this topic is inevitably all about poster's individual feelings about what Eckhart should or should not do with whatever money he may or may not have. Surely there are more interesting topics.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
User avatar
Sighclone
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 6183
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:22 pm

Re: WhySo Expensive?

Postby OneLove » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:47 am

Sighclone wrote:Surely there are more interesting topics.


This is serious though! You can tell alot about a person based on what they do with their millions of dollars. This is really a humongous question. Why on earth would an enlightened guy want nice cars, a huge mansions and a home theater? It would be a joke! Why wouldn't he instead save 100,000 Kenyan's from starvation? Now I don't care if he buys the real Kraft Dinner instead of the no name stuff, those details are meaningless, but what is he doing with his MILLIONS OF DOLLARS?

P.S. Why shouldn't you show concern?
OneLove
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:50 am

Re: WhySo Expensive?

Postby am101171 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:54 am

This is a good question , but how relevant is it

Maybe a lot.

Tolle is a man with insight nevertheless a man.

I think you should question yourself as to why are you following a man. Take the teachings and be on your way to help the people that you so clearly see need the help.


Im not here to follow anybody im here to learn what i can. Maybe thats the right thing to do.

maybe this article can help

http://www.inner-growth.info/power_of_n ... eg_mag.htm
am101171
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 5:48 pm

Re: WhySo Expensive?

Postby Grautgramsen » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:19 pm

OneLove wrote:I'm not questioning the teachings, but the teacher. It just seems grossly hypocritical for an "enlightened" teacher to be so greedy. If he's truly egoless and enlightened why doesn't he do all his work and teachings pro bono, charge to cover publishing costs etc... He has a seemingly endless line of products. He's done so much, why doesn't he just retire? He's made enough money to do that and he's certainly made enough media to enlighten the planet. His actions seem to mirror an egoic corporation exactly, continuously producing different products to convince the customer that theres always more and that he might be missing out.

My point is that there is really no reason for him to make any more money off any of his merchandise and the fact that he still is/does makes me seriously doubt his claim to enlightenment. You might say that this issue is completely separate from the truth of his teachings, and maybe thats true.Since ET is dispensing radical life advise to the whole world and our group here in particular seems to be taking it especially to the heart, we should really make sure that the source of this advice is legitimate. By legitimate I mean not a lie.

This issue can only be remedied by facts. Facts showing that the enormous amounts of revenue that ET is acquiring are going towards helping humanity rather than ET's wallet,


It does not logically follow that Eckhart is greedy just because he makes a lot of money. It is possible to make a lot of money and not be greedy, and it's equally possible to have very little money and be very greedy. You seem to have definite opinions about how an enlightened person should act, how he should appear in the world and how he should spend his money. Unless you are enlightened yourself, how can you know what an enlightened being "should" or "should not" be doing? What does enlightenment look like? How does it express itself in the world? You don't have to be enlightened to realise that enlightenment is not something that is defined by what a person does, neither is it anything to do with how much or how little money he or she has, nor how that money is spent. It is obvious that enlightenment has to do with realisation of one's true being, not one's actions in the world as such, although is seems reasonable to assume that the quality of one's actions in the world will necessarily be influenced or maybe even determined by one's quality of consciousness. It also goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that the enlightened being does no harm to other beings, but helps and guides others regardless of how much or little money he has or how it is spent.

Humanity needs awakened consciousness, not handouts. We are facing a crisis of unprecedented proportions, but not one of a social, economic or political kind, although it might look like it. It is a crisis of consciousness, and the only real solution to it is through a radical transformation of consciousness, and this does not in any way depend on how money is spent or not spent.

If you still have a problem with the supposed wealth of Eckhart Tolle, the only truly meaningful action you could possibly take in this regard is to find a way to approach him personally and ask him about it (hopefully in the most tactful and polite way possible). Moaning about it on an Internet message board is not going to make any difference to anyone or anything. All you gain by doing this is wasting your time on focusing on something that is irrelevant both to your personal life and to the situation humanity as a whole is presently facing.
Grautgramsen
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 10:50 am
Location: South Yorkshire, England

Next

Return to Eckhart Tolle - The Person

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron