Why So Expensive?

Is he enlightened? Why does he charge so much money? Does he have an ego? All these unimportant issues and more =)

Re: WhySo Expensive?

Postby karmarider » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:42 pm

OneLove wrote:This is serious though! You can tell alot about a person based on what they do with their millions of dollars. This is really a humongous question. Why on earth would an enlightened guy want nice cars, a huge mansions and a home theater? It would be a joke! Why wouldn't he instead save 100,000 Kenyan's from starvation? Now I don't care if he buys the real Kraft Dinner instead of the no name stuff, those details are meaningless, but what is he doing with his MILLIONS OF DOLLARS?

P.S. Why shouldn't you show concern?

At what point would we be satisfied with Tolle? Should he give away half his wealth? 80%? Do we want him to ride a bicycle rather a car? Shouldn't he just walk? And why stop at money? Shouldn't he live with the starving in India or Darfur?

We have certain fixed ideas about enlightenment. This is an obstacle.
karmarider

Postby Tara » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:36 pm

I like what BK says about money...something about money coming and going. My husband lost a $20 bill the other day. Someone probably picked it up and spent it. If Tolle spends money on cars, expensive dinners, houses etc. isn't he still spreading the wealth so to speak and contributing to society? Think of just a car...the company, the workers, the mechanics, gas, etc. It is all good, right? And helping 100,000 starving Kenyans is only an immediate fix unless he feeds them every day for the rest of their lives. (of course there are programs to help a community to get on its feet-but that might take him out of his "present" teaching) Helping someone with life-their peace inside is the first step to them taking care of themselves, not someone else taking care of us...which only goes so far.
Tara

Postby Robin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:41 am

Hi guys,

I get a feeling that some people here answer a serious question a little too quickly, could it be that the person starting this Thread about "WhySo Expensive"? Is attacking a mental stronghold?

To take money from people or to copyright stuff implies the truth that something belongs truly to you. But my question is, is that true? What about selling you the air you need. Does the air belong to someone? Can I copyright the moon and sell parts of it? What about the stupidity to copyright the genetic code of trees and claim that you are the owner of all the birch trees on earth. What about being the holder of the idea of a toilet and now every time you take a dump you will have to put in a coin and pay via internet to the copyright holder of the idea of toilets? Now, you might think what has that to do with ET?

Here comes my believe: LOL :wink: What if everything belongs to the same source; God, and nothing belongs to us. We get everything from him to share with others to express love. Like the sun is not charging all the flowers and I haven’t seen the bees charging the flowers or the flowers charging the bees.

I am quite impressed with Jesus Christ and I could not see that he was charging people; he even multiplied the fishes and bread as a miracle to give food to several thousand of people because he felt pity for them being hungry. I wonder if Buddha was charging his listeners or how much Jesus would charge the people for every healing and teaching.
We should ask ourselves if charging money is not an expression of fear rather than trust. And as much I know the ego and learned about it, it is Fear which is the main expression of the ego and not of a person living in the now grounded in trust to the source. If we believe that we have to charge today, we do this because we believe that people will otherwise not pay tomorrow. We believe in a future with problems and choose to believe in time and future and negative believe about people rather in a provision from above.

What are the Masters teaching about money, believe and fear? Here is one quote from Jesus, maybe someone has one from Buddha and some other Masters.

Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? 28 “So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29 and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. Matthew 6:25-34
Peace
Robin
Robin

Postby OneLove » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:09 am

karmarider wrote:
At what point would we be satisfied with Tolle? Should he give away half his wealth? 80%? Do we want him to ride a bicycle rather a car? Shouldn't he just walk? And why stop at money? Shouldn't he live with the starving in India or Darfur?

We have certain fixed ideas about enlightenment. This is an obstacle.

I'm not demanding that Tolle give up a certain percent of his wealth that seems "spiritually fit". I'm also not saying that an enlightened person can never ever ever ever ever live a luxurious lifestyle. I'm asking why would he? Why would he go for "more"? Theres no rule saying an enlightened guy can't spend more than $50 dollars on a pair of sneakers, but why on earth would he need those $300 dollar loafers? It just wouldn't fit the bill.

It makes sense, you live in the best mental state possible, the highest high, why would you hang on to that money/keep on making oodles more?
OneLove

Postby OneLove » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:17 am

Tara wrote:If Tolle spends money on cars, expensive dinners, houses etc. isn't he still spreading the wealth so to speak and contributing to society?

If your thinking wealth distribution your half right. That's a pretty good thought you have but it doesn't work for rich people. Rich people aren't good at spreading wealth. They buy the same stuff as us poorer folks do, but just in a higher quality. Your never actually give more money to more people, just more money to the same amount of people. It just serves to further define economic classes. Enough about economics though, this is about Eckhart and his choice to continue making tons of money.
OneLove

Postby RCharles » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:21 am

Hi all,

I know this isn't a Christian forum, but since Bible verses are being offered, don't forget this verse from Luke Chapter 10:5 "When you enter a house, first say, 'Peace to this house.' 6 If a man of peace is there, your peace will rest on him; if not, it will return to you. 7 Stay in that house, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages.

If Jesus's apostles deserved their wages for teaching others, as the verses above explain, so does Eckhart. Yes, the truth comes freely from God, but Eckhart has a unique presentation of the truth that makes it crystal clear and brings awareness and happiness to many--probably millions by now. Moreover, he has given most of his wisdom away for free. You can access virtually all of his ideas freely online without buying a book or paying a cent. My own investment in Eckhart is probably about $20 for two used books, and since they were used, he got nothing (gee, now I'm feeling guilty; maybe I should send him a few bucks :) ).

What people are paying for is the privilege of actually spending some time in his presence, which is a relatively rare commodity, for which he deserves his earnings. I've seen enough of Eckhart in video, probably a dozen hours or so, to feel justified in believing he is not bound up by any emotion, including greed. And I believe he is using the proceeds to offer more teaching to more people, both in person and on the web. It all seems very reasonable to me.

RC
"They are all...perfect..." --Ken Watanabe, dying scene in the movie The Last Samurai
RCharles

Postby kiki » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:45 am

Your concern about ET's supposed "greed" or how he justifies and spends his income is noted; why continue to bring it up here? Do you believe anyone here can speak for him to your satisfaction? What do you think anyone here can say that already hasn't been said? I say move on to something else here, and if you must do something do what you can to communicate directly with the man himself. This thread is close to being locked.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby samadhi » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:39 pm

OneLove, my respectful advice is to keep out of Eckhart's business and stay focused on your own. A pitfall on this 'path' is to get so hung up on the spiritual teacher that it becomes all about them; their personality, what they do, what they don't do, what you think they 'should' and 'shouldn't' do. Really, that's none of your - or anyone else's - business. Either Eckhart's work speaks to you or it doesn't. Either you are grateful for the proliferation of his material (I personally LOVE his audio recordings and find them of great benefit) or you aren't. I respectfully suggest that you question the notion that the only legitimate spiritual teachers are ones that live as renunciates in the forest, begging for scraps of food. Even if that's something you deeply believe, just recognise that it's a personal belief and not an absolute fact. That Eckhart doesn't measure up to your notion of how a spiritual teacher 'should' behave ultimately means little, because it's just a subjective opinion.

Eckhart's work is needed in this world of ours, that's all I can say with any certainty.

And I also think it's funny that people are willing to spend massive amounts of money on all sorts of entertainment - DVDs, music, films, computer games, books...but when it comes to spiritual teachings, it's another story and many of us are far less willing to open up our pockets....when in fact these are the things that are worth so so much more than mind-numbing 'entertainment'. You wouldn't expect a film-maker to work for nothing or to make their products bargain-basement cheap. Why should we expect spiritual teachers to limit their output and have this notion that they should barely live above the poverty line? Perhaps because it's more romantic or because it fits in with our preconceived notion of what a guru should be? I don't know. Either way it's all just concepts in our minds - or, as I like to refer to this stuff, 'mindcrap'...
samadhi

Postby kiki » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:05 pm

samadhi's excellent post sums up nicely what people need to remind themselves of. It does no good to continue to beat this horse other than continue a discussion that will never have a resolution in some people's mind. This isn't the kind of discussion that this board wishes continue, therefore this thread is locked.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Previous

Return to Eckhart Tolle - The Person