I don't think Eckhart has fully awakened

Is he enlightened? Why does he charge so much money? Does he have an ego? All these unimportant issues and more =)

Re: I don't think Eckhart has fully awakened

Postby domokato » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:37 am

Yes, that's another of Eckhart's teachings that I don't agree with - that awakening involves becoming emotionless. Emotions are clearly a part of our evolutionary history and the human experience. Awakening is realizing that you have choices, and it gives you the power to make those choices without losing yourself in them. If you want to allow emotions to arise, then so be it. Just be aware of its effects and stay conscious. You don't have to follow Eckhart's words to the letter. He's just one human being, like everyone else.
~housecat
domokato

Postby kiki » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:57 am

Yes, that's another of Eckhart's teachings that I don't agree with - that awakening involves becoming emotionless.

Can you reference this in his books or audios please?
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby domokato » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:30 am

You're right, kiki. I just reread that section in PON, which is more awesome than I remember it, by the way, and indeed he does not say you should be emotionless. I hadn't read PON in a long time and I guess I must've misinterpreted it the last time I read it. I guess we're in agreement on that point, then :). Thanks for pointing that out.

However...I seem to remember him saying in a youtube video that joy/bliss is not an emotion and that emotions are byproducts of an overactive mind, but maybe I'm mistaken about that too?
~housecat
domokato

Postby Marcel Franke » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:31 am

Good morning,

DK:
> emotions are byproducts of an overactive mind

Read and/or heard and remembering some of it:
Emotions are electro-chemical processes in parts of the brain that are,
in the sense of brain-evolution, rather old.

Bless,
MF.
---ooOoo---
Marcel Franke

Postby erict » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:37 pm

steve247, tell me one thing. What difference does it make whether you consider Eckhart Tolle 100% awakened or just 96.5%, or maybe even only 82%?
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby gdvant » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:45 pm

You're right, kiki. I just reread that section in PON, which is more awesome than I remember it, by the way, and indeed he does not say you should be emotionless. I hadn't read PON in a long time and I guess I must've misinterpreted it the last time I read it. I guess we're in agreement on that point, then . Thanks for pointing that out. However...I seem to remember him saying in a youtube video that joy/bliss is not an emotion and that emotions are byproducts of an overactive mind, but maybe I'm mistaken about that...

If outward circumstance including the content of consciousness that arises
seems desireable or favorable to the egoic sense of self, there is a positive
reaction. If the content changes into what seems undesirable or unfavorable,
there is negative reaction. So emotion in this sense relates to egoic reactivity.
There is always a polarity of feeling about what seems good or bad to the 'me.'

But where the so-called "positive" feeling that arises is not an egoic reaction to
content, it is the subtle quality of presence or true nature, beyond thought.
gdvant

Postby steve247 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:10 pm

erict wrote:steve247, tell me one thing. What difference does it make whether you consider Eckhart Tolle 100% awakened or just 96.5%, or maybe even only 82%?

None whatsoever, I just wanted to find out what others thought about it and express my views. I think it helps to discuss what being fully awakened exactly means in terms of one's experience. In fact, I wish maybe he'd go into a little more detail about what it feels like to be him. I've said it before, I love Eckhart teachings. He expresses them extremely clearly and his delivery is second to none. They've changed my life. I hope people aren't feeling I've offended their Guru.
steve247

Postby erict » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:19 pm

It's not really about offending him. I just think it's all a lot of abstract conceptual discussion that doesn't really help with anything real.

Who knows, maybe I'm way off, but it seems to me that the focus should be on the issues and obstacles in your own process and experience.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby steve247 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Isn't there room enough for both? I find it interesting and others seem to. If it doesn't interest people they can ignore the thread. :)
steve247

Postby erict » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:06 pm

Yeah, I guess.

It's just that when I come here, I want to read something real, you know? And there's just so much abstract discussion going on... and most of it seems so pointless to me. Tell us about you instead, your process, your obstacles and progress and the questions that keep you stuck or help you forward. I think that kind of exploration is what people find most valuable. Things they can relate to, or learn from.

I guess this is just me. I get impatient with abstract conceptual discussions. There's already enough of that all around, and it rarely leads anywhere. I'm pretty sick of it. Not just here, but everywhere, even in myself. This tendency to continuously construct, refine, arrange and rearrange concepts.
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:28 pm

Well said Eric.
Webwanderer

Postby kiki » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:14 am

I hope people aren't feeling I've offended their Guru.

OMG - I hope nobody thinks of him as a guru; I certainly don't and I'm fairly sure he wouldn't want to be thought of as one either.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby eagle2phoenix » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:26 am

Being emotionless about emotions is my true self being aware of the emotions of my physical self and being unmoved by it, just watching it. The false i may go into a rage but the true I keeps still.
Life is fascinating. Nature is beautiful. Live life with nature.
eagle2phoenix

Postby Marcel Franke » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:29 pm

Steve:
> I hope people aren't feeling I've offended their Guru.

Tomorrow, 07:00, behind the church, I will choose the weapons.
---ooOoo---
Marcel Franke

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:14 pm

Marcel Franke wrote:Steve:
> I hope people aren't feeling I've offended their Guru.

Tomorrow, 07:00, behind the church, I will choose the weapons.

For the weapons may I suggest hurling quotes from various Guru's, scripture and TPON? Winner gets to feel enlightened. :lol:

WW
Webwanderer

PreviousNext

Return to Eckhart Tolle - The Person