My "problems" with Eckhart Tolle

Is he enlightened? Why does he charge so much money? Does he have an ego? All these unimportant issues and more =)

My "problems" with Eckhart Tolle

Postby pietjo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:44 pm

- The simpleness to reasch enlightened.
Its always in you? So bankrobbers, murderers, pedofil etc can reach enlightened.

- Eckhart Tolle doesn't tell/knows how to reach enlightened.

However i believe he is a good man and has a powerful message. He doesn't tell or inform us about the big "trick". It just happenend in his bed , sucked into a hole. He say's he also doesnt know what happened but the next morning there was peace. ( i know that before this stage he figured out that he was spilt in two. That the was a "thinking" him an a "being" him, i also know that but when does the black hole come?)

- Real biographic material.

Why i cant find real history about him. When his parrents died. Old freinds or classmate ( I know he not went to scool a period) that talk's about him etc etc. I also would love to read about his personal (person) life. What does he eat . Does he get sick some times etc etc.

Sometimes my ego say's: What if Eckhart Tolle is just a very smart buisness man? Writing a book wit a old message (bible, boedsm, taoisme does ol know his message), no advirtisement first year. Then make a good deal with oprah etc etc. We also know that he is multi miljonar by (the) now (!?)............

ps . sorry for my bad english
pietjo

Re: My "problems" with Eckhart Tolle

Postby Sighclone » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:17 pm

Welcome pietjo. Good effort at correct English -- we can read it. Keep trying for good usage.

There are several interviews with Eckhart as part of the "fan site," the parent page for this forum -- they may give a better picture of him. - here: http://www.inner-growth.info/power_of_n ... e_home.htm

If Eckhart's writing causes great skepticism in you, perhaps you should stop reading it. He is not out to "convert" anyone to anything, but merely point out what is really going on behind your ego structure. If you are very solid and content with your "sense of self," then we certainly wish you well. But if you want to explore his message further, you will be dealing with words like "acceptance" and "surrender" as being very important. Generally egos don't like those words.

Eckhart's path was unusual and he believes that most people will traverse a much gentler road. His CD "Gateways to Now" offers some mind-quieting techniques.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby kiki » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:38 pm

Its always in you? So bankrobbers, murderers, pedofil etc can reach enlightened.

Yes.

- Eckhart Tolle doesn't tell/knows how to reach enlightened.

He describes the use of certain "portals to presence" which will aid in discovering that what you are is not to be found in the mind. These ideas are not unique to him, but his gift is in conveying the ideas in ways that make it more easily understood by the general reader.

However i believe he is a good man and has a powerful message. He doesn't tell or inform us about the big "trick". It just happenend in his bed , sucked into a hole.

There is no "trick". He basically challenged his identity by asking which of him is real; that acted like a zen koan and stopped his mind, which then no longer became the basis for his identity.

He say's he also doesnt know what happened but the next morning there was peace. ( i know that before this stage he figured out that he was spilt in two.

That's what's found when mind stops - peace.

That the was a "thinking" him an a "being" him, i also know that but when does the black hole come?)

The description of the "black hole" only a metaphor. He had no reference point for anything, as though every reference for the familiar world, including his idea of self, got absorbed into a "black hole".

Why i cant find real history about him. When his parrents died. Old freinds or classmate ( I know he not went to scool a period) that talk's about him etc etc. I also would love to read about his personal (person) life. What does he eat . Does he get sick some times etc etc.

I would say he wants people to focus on their own awakening and not him. People have a way of turning teachers into idols, emulating what they do, what they eat, and so on. None of that is relevant to awakening. I think he is wise in leaving most of that personal stuff out of his message. Having a body puts him at risk for physical illness, but many of the illnesses that arise out of neurotic or negative thinking probably don't arise anymore.

Sometimes my ego say's: What if Eckhart Tolle is just a very smart buisness man? Writing a book wit a old message (bible, boedsm, taoisme does ol know his message), no advirtisement first year. Then make a good deal with oprah etc etc. We also know that he is multi miljonar by (the) now (!?)............

It wasn't Oprah who made him what he is; he was well known in the "spiritual scene" before his webinar with her. But there is no denying that many more people were introduced to him through his work with her.
ps . sorry for my bad english

Just do your best. I can see you are making an effort in how you compose your posts (capitalization and punctuation); I wish all of our native English conrtibutors were as conscientious as you. Welcome to the board.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby snowheight » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:41 pm

kiki wrote:

Yes.

kiki

Through my laughing joy I must admit that: yes I am new here, and yes, I have only read a small % of her posts, but I'm sure this is "Classic kiki" all the way!
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby heidi » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:11 am

Kiki is a he, and we love that he graces our forum with his words of awareness. :D
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby snowheight » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:41 am

Sorry kiki! Thanks Heidi!
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby kiki » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:38 am

Sorry kiki!

:lol: No problem. :D
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
kiki

Postby pietjo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:31 pm

FIrst of all : Thank you all for the reply's

There is no "trick".

So are you enlightened? I have to answer "no". Although i know what you know and i understand Tolle's message. So perhaps you can't reach enlightment, it has to overcome you. Or maybe enlightment is nothing special?

If you are very solid and content with your "sense of self," then we certainly wish you well

Who is we? ( sorry , ego question)

Another (ego) question: Is the "ego" not something we need in thhe modern world to protect ourselfs? ( against all the "bad"people")
I read on this board a post that said: I'ts not about giving up the ego. But to see it. Then its no problem it can still be there. But tolle said in this interview (http://www.inner-growth.info/power_of_n ... rker.htm#9)

Yes, is it possible to be perfectly enlightened and have any remains of an ego?

Well, perhaps not perfectly enlightened, but there can be remains of ego still there, because I have seen it in teachers. I have seen the ego return in some teachers. So the ego can go into almost a "coma," [Laughter] and then wake up out of its coma perhaps due to the projections, ego-projections that the teacher is bombarded with. As the teacher is there, more people appear and gather around the teacher. And they (those who gather around them) all have their own ego-projections. They make the teacher very "special." And specialness is always ego, whether special in my misery or special because I am the greatest, the ego doesn't really mind. [Chuckle] So perhaps in those teachers the ego was not completely gone. It just had been reduced to an extremely weak state, but then gained strength again.

So our goal is to get no ego?

It wasn't Oprah who made him what he is; he was well known in the "spiritual scene" before his webinar with her.

Could also be part of his strategic (buisness)plan....
pietjo

Postby kiki » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:41 pm

So are you enlightened? I have to answer "no".

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks about me; what matters is what has been realized by me.

Although i know what you know and i understand Tolle's message.

It's not about knowing or understanding anything, it's about the realization of what the teaching is pointing to. Nobody can give that to you.

So perhaps you can't reach enlightment, it has to overcome you.

That's closer. It's already present within you - it is your true essence. So you don't "reach" it, you realize its ever present reality.

Or maybe enlightment is nothing special?

It really is quite ordinary. Ego/minds make it into something special to strive for, often with all sorts of fantastic and erroneous notions of what it is.
---
kiki

Postby Snuppy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:16 am

I have to respond to the bit about, can a villain/murderer/robber/etc, reach. Reach is totally the wrong word, cause I cannot see it happening when one does anything at all. although their might be something that can help it come about. What i feel, is one doesn't get enlightenment, one is in fact stopping it from naturally occurring. Like our prison is so painfully known and comfortable, but the idea of anything other, the possibility that my/the being is more that the perimeter that my attention can focus on is even more terrifying, or can be. So on that basis, id imagine that it doesn't matter what one has done. What one has really done though, will be felt, and the pain involved with be horrific, but that to can pass I feel. So I am sure if one really looks at one's life also, one will see just how much destruction even a so called moral man has lived. But obviously the pain might not be quite as bad as someone who has committed violent acts. But maybe not - Pain is pain. When their is the seeing that I am not the ego, and it is that identification as the me that is broken, then it does not matter in the least. Mind you, one will be living in a world where it does, so it will be hard, a real challenge. Ive been an ass, but I have not done the so called evil stuff, but I also have done that stuff, in the sense of ego stuff. But not sexually disturbed stuff as such. Those violent actions are ego/driven fear stuff, and those involved need to see that. So if your reading this, know this, let that penetrate. Let tolle, or someone else saying stuff like this penetrate. You, if anyone needs to see that false self. It is not you, so do not believe the lies it says.
Snuppy

Postby Sighclone » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:19 pm

You, if anyone needs to see that false self. It is not you, so do not believe the lies it says.

Indeed.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Return to Eckhart Tolle - The Person