Why didn't Eckhart Tolle just stay on those park benches?

Is he enlightened? Why does he charge so much money? Does he have an ego? All these unimportant issues and more =)

Postby hughesa » Wed May 18, 2011 7:38 pm

Why did he have this 'desire' to share his wisdom with the world? Sounds like the work of the ego to me. If everything was OK why change it? Did the ego resurface? After all, he must be a multi millionaire by now. He even has a hot asian girlfriend. I have learnt a lot from TOLLE and I will never see life the same again and he has helped me a lot but I am not sure about complete annihilation of the ego. I am absolutely terrified of doing things now that I know are ego and not me.
hughesa

Re: Why didn't Eckhart Tolle just stay on those park benches

Postby arel » Wed May 18, 2011 7:59 pm

You are not terrified of anything. You know of the feeling of being terrified... That feeling is ego, which is a conditioned response. That conditioned response is the law of nature, like gravity or the wind, or anything else of the world.
What I say is only my viewpoint.
arel

Postby snowheight » Thu May 19, 2011 1:56 am

He explains why clearly in TPON, directly after having recounted his time on the benches:

"But even the most beautiful experiences come and go. More funamental, perhaps, than any experience is the undercurrent of peace that has never left me since then ..."

"Later, people woud occasionally come up to me and say 'I want what you have'..."

"Before I knew it, I had an external identity again. I had become a spiritual teacher."

My guess is that ET, the perspective of pure Consciousness, watches the spiritual teacher as that teacher does his work, out here in the Middle Kingdom.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby randomguy » Thu May 19, 2011 3:21 pm

I am not sure about complete annihilation of the ego

What is being pointed by Tolle's works is not the completion of any predetermined goal or imagined end point such as the annihilation of ego. What is being pointed to is the stillness of being that always resides now, even within the confusion of thought identification.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby coriolis » Thu May 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Probably the same reason Siddhartha Gautama didn't stay sitting under the bodhi tree.

Although I am sure a part of Buddha remained under the bodhi and a part of Tolle remains on the park bench long after they left the habit of physically being there on a regular basis.
Look deeply inside yourself and try to find yourself.
The ensuing failure is the true finding
---- Wu Hsin
coriolis

Postby Ziendus » Fri May 20, 2011 10:13 am

Hughesa:
> If everything was OK why change it?

If everything is ok, why stay on a bench ?

If everything is ok, then what is -ok- ?
---ooOoo---
Ziendus

Postby Riken » Fri May 20, 2011 3:54 pm

He just felt like the time had come to change things up a bit.

Does it matter? More mind stuff.
"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players"
Riken

Postby magicbutterfly » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:31 pm

He probably got tired of repeating the same thing over and over again to a new bunch of people and instead chose to just hand out the book. He is only a human after all, even though enlightened. At first he only published 3,000 copies, very likely paid for by friends and fans and the book was so popular that the world decided to pave a road to his bench. I have a feeling that he is an introvert and so had to find a place to hide. He now lives in an apartment (not a mansion), does his own shopping and laundry.

To protect his privacy and silent space he had to hire people to manage the mob of the faithful while letting them follow his teachings. The machine takes a lot of work and money to run. I have a feeling that sometimes he would prefer just to have stayed on the bench. I am grateful that he didn't. Thank you Mr. Tolle.

In my opinion, anyone who chooses to be critical/envious of Mr. Tolle hasn't learned to be present yet.
"As soon as you honor the present moment, all unhappiness and struggle dissolve, and life begins to flow with joy and ease." Ekhart Tolle, The Power of Now
magicbutterfly

Return to Eckhart Tolle - The Person