Does Tolle even care?

Is he enlightened? Why does he charge so much money? Does he have an ego? All these unimportant issues and more =)

Does Tolle even care?

Postby simpleaser » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:51 pm

why doesn't he do more to help the global awakening.

All he does is these recordings where he talks about whatever he wants for 1 hour, and hopefully we become more present if we are lucky.

I mean I am grateful for what he does but he could do way more.

Some of the Indian great teachers let people into their houses at all times

STOP TRYING TO LIVE AN EASY LIFE TOLLE.

He is clearly one of the most (if not the) most awaken beings on the planet but the question remains does he care about the awakening of the rest of the planet?
simpleaser

Re: Does Tolle even care?

Postby kiki » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:22 am

STOP TRYING TO LIVE AN EASY LIFE TOLLE.

He is clearly one of the most (if not the) most awaken beings on the planet but the question remains does he care about the awakening of the rest of the planet?

I think all awakened ones help awaken others in their own way - that is just the way consciousness is operating through them. Who is it that would judge another for how they do that?
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:27 am

I wonder simpleaser, what do you actually know of what Tolle does? Do you have inside information, or are you speculating? Actually, if he does nothing else than what we see, it's an incredible amount. He has touched the lives of millions, and continues to do so. How much, I wonder, has his influence spawned others to touch the lives of still more? This web site, for example, exists because of his inspiration. Many thousands have read these pages and found kindred spirits to interact with.

In truth, I wonder less about what more Tolle could do, and wonder more what else I might do. It's energy much better spent.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby HandfullaMinerals » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:29 pm

I'm sure he does a lot behind the scenes. Just be glad he got of the bench or a lot of people wouldn't have gathered here on this forum.
It is the ego which raises difficulties, creating obstacles and then suffers from the perplexity of apparent paradoxes. Find out who makes the enquiries and the Self will be found.
HandfullaMinerals

Postby simpleaser » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:34 pm

Webwanderer wrote:I wonder simpleaser, what do you actually know of what Tolle does? Do you have inside information, or are you speculating? Actually, if he does nothing else than what we see, it's an incredible amount.
In truth, I wonder less about what more Tolle could do, and wonder more what else I might do. It's energy much better spent.

WW

I check his website everyday, and I am always left disappointed to find no events I can attend.

I find it very hard not to connect this to the fact he is rich and doesn't need anymore money.

He just wants to enjoy his own presence and leave the rest of us to awaken through suffering.

These talks he does are the easiest thing on earth. He could do one every day if he wanted to!
simpleaser

Postby hanss » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:17 pm

...why do this always happen to me... complaints.... so typical... I have had enough of events and talks.... noone likes them anyway... mumble... mumble... money? I need more money... and more... time...
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)
hanss

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:12 pm

Waiter, my soup is cold...
Webwanderer

Postby snowheight » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:27 pm

He he. In talking to the person next to him on the bench who has a question. In standing up from the bench. In sitting down behind a computer to start writing. In presenting his work for publication which can be rejected or accepted.

In any of this he enters the middle kingdom of duality.

The folk where I live have a saying "ya gotta' take the bad with the good".

The soup is cold ... or "godamnit!, my soup is cold and my whole meal is ruined by their incompetency!".

"The Power of Now" is not enough?
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby braveheart » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:04 pm

Does it even make any difference whether the world awakens or not?
braveheart

Postby ashley72 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:28 pm

Simpleaser,

This drama about Tolle's failures is all Mind created...Which is a good starting point for mindfulness practice. If you want to get anywhere you need to start watching these thoughts which arise and see what feelings and emotions they trigger. Maybe resentment from not having access to him is the driver for these more recent thoughts and feelings.

But this judgment about lack of access... is it legimate? There are many freely available videos which cover more than enough material in the area of mindfulness and awakening.

I've never seen a teacher myself and haven't had the same thoughts as you. Mainly because I recognized early on that the process of awakening doesnt require any direct teachers involvement personally.

If you're struggling abit I would suggest watching this video series with Eckhart Tolle. Being present and in the now can begin anywhere... Even sitting on a park bench watching life unfolding. It's so ordinary most people don't make the connection.

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth.info/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9211
ashley72

Postby Laramie » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:50 am

Hey Simpleaser,
Do you maybe have an image in your mind about what a spiritual teacher is supposed to do and how they should act? I ask this question without being judgemental of where you are right now. I follow this great Indian yoga teacher named Iyengar. The books that he's written and the things he talks about resonate with me so deeply that I don't understand how anyone could ever judge him or have any negative feelings about him. But when I showed his book to my friend, she was immediately turned off because he was wearing a lot of gold and diamonds on his neck and hands. To be honest, I had never even noticed them before because what he speaks about transcends that. Maybe he likes gold and diamonds, who cares? She had an image in her head of what a spiritual teacher is supposed to look like. It consisted of an old indian man, with a beard, and simple clothes...no jewelery, just completely plain. Is this reality?

I might suggest you explore what inside you is telling you that Tolle has money and therefore might not care. Perhaps you feel resentful of people that have money? Do you feel it is their obligation to offer charity and free services more so than the average person? What expectations have you created of how Tolle is supposed to change your life?

I spent a year in India in 2010 and I'd like to add that people have a romanticized version of spirituality in India. Although, the spiritual Indian teachers that invite people into their homes for free might be legit...it is rare. There is a great book you can pick up called "India's God Business" which will help to dispel ideas about spiritual teachers in India.
Laramie

Postby Sighclone » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:39 am

In the last two years ET has launched eckharttolletv, has expanded the offerings of video and audio downloads from "Eckhart Teachings," and ettv has a forum much like this one. However, there is a charge for all of this...not an unreasonable one, but it is not free. My guess is that because it is not free, it will continue to be available. I am a member of eckharttolletv.

If someone has an audited copy of the financial statements for Eckhart, would they please post them here so we can stop speculating about his income / expenses and donations? Short of that, we have no clue about his salary scales, take home pay, etc.

Why is it a requirement for him to stick to an exhausiting schedule of free satsangs? I remember Eckhart speculating about life in the "new earth." He said it would be profoundly less frantic. Notice how he takes quite a bit of time before answering questions? Maybe his energy level is like that on a larger scale, too.

But let's say we had that information. Osho had periods in his life when he owned many cars...is poverty the final measure of spiritual growth? Why? And at what point? Maybe we better review a copy of his will also...

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby simpleaser » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:50 pm

Laramie wrote:I might suggest you explore what inside you is telling you that Tolle has money and therefore might not care. Perhaps you feel resentful of people that have money? Do you feel it is their obligation to offer charity and free services more so than the average person? What expectations have you created of how Tolle is supposed to change your life?

i don't think hes obligated to do anything, if he wants to be lazy he can but i'm not going to be happy about it

I have no problem with Tolle having money, I hope he becomes a billionaire.

I just want him to come to London again. Or do some retreat I can fly to.

I don't mind how much it costs.

I'm already going to Adayshanti, but I would prefer Tolle.
simpleaser

Postby simpleaser » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:05 pm

Sighclone wrote:
Why is it a requirement for him to stick to an exhausiting schedule of free satsangs? I remember Eckhart speculating about life in the "new earth." He said it would be profoundly less frantic. Notice how he takes quite a bit of time before answering questions? Maybe his energy level is like that on a larger scale, too.

Andy

I don't think these satsangs are that exhausting, he just sits there.
simpleaser

Postby kiki » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:20 pm

i don't think hes obligated to do anything, if he wants to be lazy he can but i'm not going to be happy about it

There is your answer - the problem isn't Tolle's, it's yours. What is it in you that creates that problem?
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Next

Return to Eckhart Tolle - The Person