Eckhart Tolle stutters a lot?

Is he enlightened? Why does he charge so much money? Does he have an ego? All these unimportant issues and more =)

Eckhart Tolle stutters a lot?

Postby hughesa » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:29 am

I have been listening to Tolle's audio tapes (having previously read his books numerous times) and noticed that he sort of stutters and struggles to get his words out sometimes, or changes his words ("er, I mean"). He talks really slow and takes time between sentences, and even words, yet he makes these errors. I do not mean stutters like someone who has a stutter either. Sort of like someone who is not totally sure what they are saying. The point I am trying to make is, would someone who is completely in the moment really do any of this. I have had glimpses of what it would be like to be totally present and I do not imagine these sort of things would happen. Surely as you are in no rush and are not really in an argument with someone, surely your speech would come out fluently and without the stutters. Would it not? He just does not sound like someone who is totally present. Also, anyone know what the logic is behind him charging so much money for membership to his website? I can understand charging a lot for his live shows (supply and demand) but to join his website. Does not make sense to me. Anyway, this is my ego talking now. Even as I write this the true me does not want to be wasting my time. I have no life and wasted enough clock time to be doing things like this.
hughesa

Re: Eckhart Tolle stutters a lot?

Postby Donna » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:05 am

Wow...interesting that you think he stutters a lot. I have listened to him many times...his audio books, videos on-line and with Oprah. Actually I thought he chose his words very carefully and spoke confidently.

This is a great example of how we all perceive a same/similar experience in our own unique ways.

As far as the costs of membership to his site.... I remember a couple of times people asking Eckhart "so when are you going to start a Power of Now School?" I think Eckhart has balked doing this. But maybe a compromise is the ET TV.

I am a web developer who also helps people market their ideas. There is a lot of cost behind the scenes in doing a website properly such as Tolle's. There is the cost of the web host, hardware, software, web developers, intellectual property, etc etc. This work is not cheap.

Personally, I benefit enough from reading/listening to his books and this forum. :-)
~*~*~*~* I love to live and live to love. *~*~*~*~
Donna

Postby Natalie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:13 am

"He just does not sound like someone who is totally present" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, I couldn't help it.
I love everything about Eckhart's speech, everything. I even adore those times when he laughs through his unusually large nostrils sounding like a pig.
Yes, he sttuters at times. It never occurred to me this was a sign of insecurity about what he was saying. I have him on my ipod and find his voice very soothing.

"I have had glimpses of what it would be like to be totally present and I do not imagine these sort of things would happen."
Care to share the sort of things you imagine would happen?
Natalie

Postby hughesa » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:03 pm

Natalie wrote:"He just does not sound like someone who is totally present" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, I couldn't help it.
I love everything about Eckhart's speech, everything. I even adore those times when he laughs through his unusually large nostrils sounding like a pig.
Yes, he sttuters at times. It never occurred to me this was a sign of insecurity about what he was saying. I have him on my ipod and find his voice very soothing.

"I have had glimpses of what it would be like to be totally present and I do not imagine these sort of things would happen."
Care to share the sort of things you imagine would happen?

Not sure what you found funny. I love eckharts voice also and love to listen to him but also noticed these things I have spoken about.

If you are totally in the moment then surely there is no rush in your words (yes, I know he speaks really slowly) and no pressure of making a mistake or anything like that, plus it is not you speaking, you are just the vessel. The words should just come one after the other.
hughesa

Postby Dohjo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:02 pm

Could be a purely physical thing. Don't spent too much time on making weird conspiracies :p
Dohjo

Postby Ziendus » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:08 pm

God blessed him such to make him even more lovable.
---ooOoo---
Ziendus

Postby nutrition » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:34 pm

Simply stated: ET does not stutter.
Blessing
N
nutrition

Postby Natalie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:08 am

Hey Hugh, when I first read your post, I found the mental concept of a ‘prescribed’ way of speaking for an enlightened person very very comical. Nothing personal.

I agree that when totally in the moment, the sense of rush disappears and the right words just flow. I have experienced this.

Eckhart speaks Spanish beautifully, German and English. English is his 2nd language. Perhaps he finds it a little hard to come up with the right word at times.

Nutrition, I think Eckhart stutters just a bit. But mostly, he struggles at times with the right word. I hear that if you learn a second language after puberty, you will always speak it with an accent (something to do with your mandibles fusing during puberty and restricting your tongue’s movement or something like that). I’ve also read that multi-lingual persons usually dream and think in one language and mentally translate to speak other languages even if they aren't aware that they are doing this. I also heard a person’s mother tongue always prevails when one is in the thrust of passion.

Perhaps Salem, our resident polyglot, could clarify a thing or two for us. :D

Natalie
Natalie

Postby FrequencyHolder999 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:22 am

Eckhart Tolle speaks from presence, he does not use a script, he probably does not polish his speech, he simply allows words to form on the spot, like a one-on-one casual talk. It is the highest quality speech possible.

Some stutters are expected in this mode of teaching. When two or more ideas form nearly simultaneously on the spot, as the first idea is half way out, the second, better idea comes, and cut in, so you hear a stutter.

The stutter reveals , to me, how Tolle speaks in public. Only the truly enlightened person can have such confidence that whatever flows out on the spot, will ring with the truth, and can stand the test of time.
FrequencyHolder999

Postby tikey » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:49 am

Well if you speak about presence and consciousness etc. then you might stutter a lot. for example i would just shut up because i wouldnt know what to say.
he is great teacher.
Im just a cloudless sky :)
tikey

Postby rideforever » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:40 pm

hughesa wrote:

You are brave to come on an Eckhart Tolle website and say the things you have said.

That shows courage. And courage will be rewarded.

Perhaps you are right, perhaps you are not. I only know that if that is what you see you must honour it. How else can you progress without being true to what you see ?

This is the meaning of 'be yourself'. And it takes guts.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby karmarider » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:28 pm

The hesitant speech is not any kind of indication.

The money thing about ET keeps coming up and I question that as well. I haven't had any interest in ET for many years now so it's irrelevant to me. Also, it's easy to find plenty of free ET stuff on youtube and at low cost in used books, etc.

And if ET no longer resonates, there are other awakened teachers. John Sherman is completely free. Jed Mckenna books are available at low cost. Nisargadatta, Ramana teachings etc are available online.

All they can do is provide some guidance till we get to self-reliance.
karmarider

Postby Psychoslice » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:38 am

What Tolle points to isn't his mind body, his stuttering or whatever else, its beyond his mind body, how Tolle acts has nothing to do with his true SELF, that's your problem.
Psychoslice

Return to Eckhart Tolle - The Person