Awakening, Ego and Soul

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
Sighclone

Awakening, Ego and Soul

Post by Sighclone » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:40 am

In 2008, following 34 years of practicing TM, and other spiritual studies, I had a life-changing experience in which I recognized that the entire concept of “me” was gravely deficient. My egoic identity became a provisionally unique identity with meaning only in the perceived relative world. The experience was quite sudden – an expansive awareness arrived, referred to in many ways; my favorite is “unity consciousness.” For purposes of identity, there was previously just “Andy,” whose basic characteristics were reasonably well understood after many counseling sessions over the preceding 30 years or so. After this awakening, suddenly there was another identity that was decidedly non-local, but no less real and intimate. What was previously my “self” had become recognition of a much larger “Self.” The adjustment period of this discovery was about six months; it was disorienting; I had a million questions. But finally, I was able to resume my regular life, projecting pretty much the old personality, with lots of autopilot responses that seemed to be relatively unchanged.

However, what was the totality of “me” in the past was now much more like a persona…there arrived and remains a subtle distance from “old Andy.” I used to be somewhat afraid of feeling like a ‘witness’ – now I was the witness…and also often “that which is witnessed.” There is a flow of doing and being that is much smoother, more synchronous.

In the last two or three years, however, the meaning and purpose of that personality in the relative world of people and things has become re-valued. After getting rudely displaced as the boss, the “little me self” can still bump along, getting most of its perceived needs met, and generally enjoying life without the onus of being a “false self.” (That is Eckhart Tolle’s label.) “Andy” is not a false self, just a confined, self-defined “person-ality” who interacts with everyone else and the world of ideas, feelings and things…in maya and part of maya. I have no illusion about the glory and magnitude of “little Andy,” or of anyone, for that matter. But I do consider him/me to be a real piece in the vast puzzle of this universe, and not imaginary or false…just tiny. And I am much more, as are you.

In about 2011, Eckhart Tolle was answering questions from a live audience and a man stood up and said, “I see dead people.” Tolle was quiet for a moment (as is his style) and said, essentially, “something unique and individual survives death.” He went on to say it was a form of the ego. He did not express great understanding of this.

In 1998, Larry King had a medium on his TV show named James Van Praagh. People would call in and the conversation would go something like this: JVP – “how are you, caller?” Caller – “I’m OK but I miss my father.” JVP (after a moment): “I’m seeing a tall man in a navy uniform, but I’m sensing a pain in his stomach. He’s showing me a yellow T-shirt with a blue frog on it. There is a very old woman with him who is holding a lamb.” Caller (in tears) “that is my father and his mother...are they OK?” About ten people called in and had similar experiences. Sure, this was TV, but I did not think it was faked, nor that Larry King would put up with that. JVP’s book “Talking to Heaven” is a fascinating read.

I’ve had a medium reading myself from Willa White, and several people who have passed showed up, with details utterly unavailable to Willa even if she bothered to do deep research. I’ve had a Michael Newton-trained hypnotic past-life regression that was very interesting – several current friends appeared in different roles in at least two past lives. The concept of reincarnation is perhaps best presented by Brian Weiss in “Many Lives, Many Masters.”

More recently I’ve read “Journey of Your Soul,” by Shepherd Hoodwin who channels for the entity Michael. There is a lengthy discussion of the astral and other nonphysical planes, and the formation of souls and the details and construction of each individual soul, reincarnation (on earth and elsewhere), multiple universes, karma, and much additional material. Very interesting reading, for sure. And the fine work “Backwards” and two other books by Nanci Danison are excellent examples of near death experience reports, as is Eben Alexander’s “Proof of Heaven.”

So where is the “truth” regarding the afterlife and the concept of the soul? Tolle and many other remind us of the ultimate folly of “belief systems.” Most religions are “belief systems.” Often the power of their appeal is based on fear, and many of them co-opt the concept of “spiritual.” For them, the only valid spiritual concepts are within the dogma of (pick a religion.) The others are heresy. Memorizing verses of “what we believe” is necessary, because often the student or practitioner of the religion has not had the experience of the statements in the scripture. It kind of feels like brain-washing to me.

I believe that if I drop a brick on my foot it will hurt…every time. I’ve had that experience and that belief is based on the experience. Like Tolle, I have not died from this lifetime, so any of my ideas or beliefs about ‘life after death’ are borrowed and not from my direct experience. Although my past life regression was fascinating, the ‘memories’ had a bit of what seemed to be imagination in them; our memories tend to fade and merge with dreams after 50 years, anyway. More compelling was the medium reading, and I encourage anyone who is sufficiently curious to pay for one.

Finally, I can say that the event of dying is no longer something I fear at all. It’s fair to say I am curious about it but not eager for it. My belief about ‘the afterlife’ comes mainly from reading the books mentioned above and the medium session. Hoodwin says he can “channel” your individual soul-type (and its many features) from the entity Michael – check his website. I mention this without specific endorsement…seekers knock on many doors. After reading his book, you may wish to look further…or not.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

turiya

Re: Awakening, Ego and Soul

Post by turiya » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:48 pm

I enjoyed reading your post, Andy. :D

Brought to mind this Eckhart quote: "Nothing that was real ever died, only names, forms, and illusions."

And also these questions: What is it that reincarnates?... other than a names, forms, and illusions?

and

Ultimately, is an individual "soul" just an expanded - yet still limited and distorted - perception of a greater reality?
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

turiya

Post by turiya » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:03 pm

(Not implying that names, forms, illusions, perceptions shouldn't be honored, of course. :wink:)
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:14 pm

Thanks, Turiya. I am more and more convinced that a spiritual entity survives death of the body. And that it reincarnates.
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:21 pm

Hi Andy and Turiya,
Nice discussion! In Vedanta there is reference to a 'subtle body' (Shutla Sharira in Sanskrit) which survives the death of the gross body and reincarnates. In eastern traditions (Vedanta, Buddhism) reincarnation is taken for granted since those philosophies are based on the notion of karma (action). The Karmic philosophy is that your actions in previous lives (stored in your causal and subtle bodies) bring about your present circumstances in this life. Your actions also result in 'vasanas' (or tendencies) which are effectively your personality. In fact, ultimately vedanta shows you that it is your vasanas that are the 'doers' of all your actions. The 'true you' is simply the witness (as Andy described).

Vedanta also describes a Vyavaharika satyam (or the transactional field of reality--i.e., this world) where experiences take place. It does not negate this transactional reality--rather it calls it 'mithya' which means that it is a dependent reality. Dependent on what? Dependent on consciousness of course :D. That is, the world we transact in ultimately resolves to consciousness.

And science also tells us that ultimately this world we experience every day resolves to molecules, atoms, subatomic particles, quantum fields (science has got so far right now)......and then to consciousness (per Vedanta).

So as Turiya says, in this world all we see are names and forms (projections) of consciousness.

And so, if you can say "I (as consciousness) am the cause of this world" or "whole world resolves to me", then you have 'got it' :wink:.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:13 pm

Thanks, rt, as ever! The relatively recent discovery of dark matter and dark energy provide a potential repository explanation for "stuff we don't see"...maybe. A larger question is multiple universes, including ones that are created by quantum events (Google ' many worlds theory.') Way above my pay grade...

Andy

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:32 am

I really like the 'gentle ness' that you brought to your musing in your OP Andy :) It's all okay. your open mindedness and leaving room for what we may not be able to explain was a joy to read.
The relatively recent discovery of dark matter and dark energy provide a potential repository explanation for "stuff we don't see"...maybe. A larger question is multiple universes, including ones that are created by quantum events. Way above my pay grade...
As you probably know 'dead' is just a different energetic plane for me, being aware of energy at different frequencies and forms 'just is'. When science started talking about the other 85% of matter and energy I got very excited.

But ultimately it would just be a different way of naming 'stuff' and its relationship with 'other stuff' :wink:

It would likely still have the believers and non-believers making enemy, obstacle, means to an end of 'stuff' and this is fascinating, for me.

My granny (who was 'fey', clairvoyant, empath at distance and an energy healer) would say 'There's none so blind as those who will not to see, and none so deaf as those that will not to hear.' This is sooooo true in many areas, in fact all areas of experience and interaction.

For me this is a really interesting area of understanding - how open are we willing to be in our understanding and absorbing of anything, and, are we aware that we are 'being', participating in and co-creating our experiences on all levels? No choice is wrong, it just brings a different experience...

I was watching an old Parkinson talk show the other night and actress Joanna Lumley was talking about an interaction she'd had with a 'ghost' that she'd discussed in her biography.

Parkie had mentioned though the show that he wanted to discuss her absorbing and acceptance and then respect for the interaction, because he had had an interaction as a child that to this day, he did not know was 'real' or a dream, but it was so real he didn't believe it was a dream all these years later.

Joanna told how had been moving into a house and had men moving furniture in, when one man came from the basement right into her face and said 'Get out of here' really rudely, and then went up the stairs to the next level.

She was shocked at his rudeness and when she recovered she followed him up the stairs and was intent on telling the foreman of the job about his rudeness... but when she got up the stairs there was no one there. She had the description of his clothing and his physical features ready to describe to the foreman so she 'assumed' he'd 'somehow' left the upstairs without her seeing, found the foreman told him about the incident, insisted the foreman find him and make him apologise.... and (she said, 'of course') there was no worker of that description or clothing on the job.

Another guest from the outset, was trying to make out that he was the scientific 'rational' one and that such stories were just fantasy, 'rubbish' etc. and stating that it wasn't up to people to 'believe' such tales, it was up to the teller/s to 'prove it', and for all his life no one had ever been able to convince him that 'any of it' was real.

A third guest posed that maybe it would be hard for him to convince any unbelieving others that he had ever had an interaction of happiness, or of love.... (none so blind or deaf as those that will not to see / hear).

I couldn't help but wonder what had happened to the guest to make his mind so closed, so unscientific, so deaf/blind --- it likely involved being told it was 'wrong' in some form or other, based probably on something he was being asked or pressured to believe was 'right'. Fear closes us down, love opens us up.

Joanna had moved through surprise/shock, through logic and reasoning. Ultimately she found no other rational or logical explanation for her interaction - and the evidence and proof all only actually supported the fact that this entity was not in body, and yet was physically communicating, and from that she talked of her eventual acceptance of the fact that things happening in the house to lights and electronics, noises, things moving without the people living there moving them etc was this 'entity's influence.

They learned to live with it, just as if it was another member of the household, an at times annoying boarder. Which in ET speak is acceptance - not making enemy, obstacle, means to an end of a thing, person or situation. Perfectly reasonable to me.

When she was leaving that place she went to the basement and told 'him' that they were leaving, there was no immediate response and then an overwhelming waft of roses came over her - roses! She was as surprised as anyone, and rightly said you cannot make this shit up!

The 'non-believer' just shook his head and said it didn't 'prove' anything. His demeanour within himself throughout the interaction / conversation was uncomfortable, obvious physical and mental signs of his discomfort making enemy, obstacle, means to an end... - he was suffering. I found myself thinking that being so closed-minded in order to 'appear' rational must be exhausting in resistance. For me, that's just sad.

I ruminated about the times that in true logic I've had to accept the reality, make those sometimes uncomfortable adjustments in thinking and viewing, and yes at times go through the process from my expectation to reality when my 'world view' is not wide enough - the choice is always there - love or fear - open up or close down, although I do understand the choice is not always easy.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:56 am

Awakening, ego and soul is such a lovely title for this topic Andy. I hope you don't mind me expanding on it.

After writing about the interactions in the Parkinson episode above, I was musing as I had after seeing the show, about three really diverse 'awakening, ego and soul' interactions I had in a fairly short space in time in three different very old hotels while working in historic Henley on Thames in England.

Like in the Parkinson show, while the 'characters' and circumstances in the 'this happened' were interesting, it was still the responses or reactions of those still in body (including me) that was most fascinating and illuminating.

It's more like - because 'this' happened, then 'that' happened. While many focus solely on the 'this', I find the 'then that...' fascinating, our response to.... Even as we read each other's posts, the 'then that...' is happening, - awakening, ego and soul. :)

The first was in a 14th century hotel that I was working in. There were more than enough colourful characters in the town, celebrities, eccentric folk, movers and shakers, and artists and artisans to always have interesting current affairs going on. One day Dennis, the lead barman who worked upstairs, the person who was the real boss without the title, asked me if I'd open up for the evening session as he was going to a wedding out of town and might be late back.

I worked in the front bar that opened onto the street, with another door opening into a downstairs restaurant and Dennis ran the upstairs bar attached to a different restaurant that ran the length of the upstairs of the building.

The building was old, the ceiling of my bar was made from the bent and crooked beams from boats that used to go up and down the River Thames from London to Oxford with Henley a stopover place. It had also been a coaching inn, with stables and a cobblestone courtyard to the side of my bar. It was a lovely place to work but I rarely went beyond my own little bar.

I do recall feeling a burden of responsibility when Dennis handed me big bunch of 'the keys' and ran me through his opening routine, he'd always managed to maintain an air of importance and responsibility that wasn't quite like 'me'. Normally everything would be up and running and I'd just walk in from the street and do my job. Occasionally I'd hear him whistling upstairs or laughing with the patrons, he had a very distinctive laugh, and was genuinely a lovely man who seemed to have it all together.

So I was aware of having to 'fill his shoes' even if for just a short time. It wasn't important, it didn't really matter, but it did. If I was nervous about anything, it was about not letting him down, about making it okay for him to take time away from the responsibilities of the place.

When I came back after the afternoon break (they had 'sessions' lunch and dinner and were closed in between) I carefully handled the big ring of heavy old fashioned keys, walked down the cobblestone path passed the old stables that were now storerooms, and up the outside stairs to access the upper restaurant - all new experiences - funny how you can ignore things that are right there.

I opened the door and ran through the checklist Dennis had given me as to the order of things in my mind. The main light switch was at the other end of the restaurant closer to the bar but daylight was streaming through the windows on one side of the building. The floor was as wonky and bent as my ceiling downstairs, somewhat soft to the footfall, again a new experience and different perspective from my 'normal' where these boards were my ceiling.

As I came into the restaurant proper from the alcove around the doorway, I realised there was a man already sitting at a table next to a window, an older man, smoking a pipe, seafarer type, white hair and beard, weathered skin, wearing a warm jumper and jacket. He was staring at an angle between me and the window and didn't respond to me appearing, he appeared lost in a reverie.

Here's where 'and then ...' happens.

I 'assumed' Dennis must have come back earlier than he'd thought he would and had let this man in, that he'd know why and that he was here in the restaurant and I didn't have to worry about that. Dennis would be on top of it. (missing / ignoring the logic that I had Dennis' keys)
I lightly wondered if maybe he didn't trust me after all, or if he was just so tied to his job he'd left the wedding early, or if maybe the wedding had just all finished earlier than he thought it would. All were possible.

I smiled and said good afternoon to the man as I passed, but he didn't respond. I figured he was lost in thought about something and didn't take offence, he looked so peaceful and kindly sitting there in the sunlight.

I'd ask Dennis about his story when I saw him. The man looked like he'd have great stories to tell (many of our regulars did). When I went into Dennis' bar and he wasn't there I 'figured' he'd be downstairs doing more opening up stuff from the list he'd given me to do. I went down through the restaurant downstairs and into my own bar and started my own setting up work. I heard the familiar tuneful whistling coming from upstairs and figured Dennis was back up there.

Not too long later, Dennis was knocking at my front door - he looked confused, and I was confused.

I unlocked the door, opened it to him and said 'What are you doing out there?' As he was saying 'Why is the door still locked?' We were asking and answering questions over each other. Him: "You knew I was going to be late'. Me: 'But you'd already opened up - you let the guy upstairs in.' Him: What guy? I told you I was going to be late.' Me: 'If you weren't here, who let him in?' Me: "The old sea captain. But, you were whistling up there.'

Him: 'Oh, .... him. Me? I can't whistle for nuts.'

At that point it was suddenly all so obvious to both of us, but not so 'reasonably' explainable. I had left all of the chores outside of my own bar to Dennis, who now it was obvious, wasn't there. ... and more, because of a man who was/wasn't, but was, there.

I apologised as I followed Dennis through the restaurant, turning on lights that were still off, and upstairs to his bar where I'd done none of the set up, and we both wandered into the restaurant, and sadly, the captain had gone.

As we stood there, me pointing to the table he'd been sitting at and describing him - he was lovely, had a lovely calm demeanour lost in his reverie.

Dennis smiled and said, it's okay, you're not the only one that's seen him, and commented on his whistling. There's another one too, a lady who comes out into the middle of the restaurant from when there used to be bedrooms up here. She's still dressed in her nightgown and holding a lamp and is annoyed at the people sitting up here eating their meals and partying. She stands in the middle there - he points. I don't see them, he makes the point certainly, but plenty of people have, and they can't all be making them up, they even describe the clothes and the whistling the same.

I added that it was lovely whistling, I'd always attributed it to Dennis, it was quite a shift to realise he couldn't/didn't whistle like that at all, it was a part of who I thought Dennis was.

It was an interesting, a lovely and open 'and then...'

I didn't not do what I had said I would do, for no logical reason. I did it based on facts as I believed them to be. Dennis had no problem with my logic and accepted my apology with grace and a little smile.

Any time I heard the whistling after that I'd look up to the ceiling and smile, imagining the old sea captain sitting in the sun - I knew / know the difference between that musing and the first time I saw him, no different to remembering anything about anyone.

Sometimes I'd ask Dennis if he heard him, and I noticed that I was still a little attached to my notion that it was really him whistling, and maybe tricking me that he couldn't whistle (but I didn't really believe that).

Invariably he'd ask, 'heard what?'

For me, the captain is real, a real person who had real experiences in this plane/dimension and somehow, sometimes recreates that physical persona, holds his energy at a lower vibration and sits in the sunlight streaming through a window, in warm clothes even when it's snowing outside and you can still have awareness of the contrast, and sometimes whistles beautiful tunes.

I do remember from my time in the light (during an nde) that when all things are merged and known, individual elements as we experience them are not experienced individually. That is the beauty of this experience of physicality - contrast, separation and distinguishable experience of elements. In the light blended perfection is, yes beautiful, but I can imagine trying to remember how it actually 'feels', or hankering for green, or blue, or cold or warm, of individual notes and sounds. I wonder if he (the captain) is able to achieve that, or whether the experience is of the same illusionary nature as his appearance.

In empathetic experience of others' experiences it has like a veiled subtle 'not mine' or 'not now' 'not here' physicality, even when it can be very physically experienced. I wonder if it might be something like that, not quite full physically separate experience.

Logically, if there is a here separated physicality experience of consciousness, and there is a there - the light, blended experience of consciousness - what is in-between?

It can't be 'nothing'.

And then I went from that Parkinson show to watching (randomly found flicking through the channels) the black and white production of The Ghost and Mrs Muir - which turned out to be a wonderfully written story very well enacted that asks the same sort of questions, still really leaving them unanswered. :lol:
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

turiya

Post by turiya » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:46 am

runstrails wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:21 pm
In Vedanta there is reference to a 'subtle body' (Shutla Sharira in Sanskrit) which survives the death of the gross body and reincarnates. In eastern traditions (Vedanta, Buddhism) reincarnation is taken for granted since those philosophies are based on the notion of karma (action). The Karmic philosophy is that your actions in previous lives (stored in your causal and subtle bodies) bring about your present circumstances in this life. Your actions also result in 'vasanas' (or tendencies) which are effectively your personality. In fact, ultimately vedanta shows you that it is your vasanas that are the 'doers' of all your actions. The 'true you' is simply the witness (as Andy described).
I don't know much about Vedanta (other than what I've gleaned from Rupert Spira and Mooji and a few other teachers :wink: ).

Does the Vedanta teaching say that the subtle body has a birth and death just like the gross body?

Is enlightenment the death of the subtle body?...the cessation of vasanas and personality?... the end to reincarnation?...

Or, do subtle bodies (as well as gross bodies) keep appearing and disappearing and reappearing endlessly... like waves in the ocean?

Will they always be coming and going in Awareness?... and it's just the point of view that shifts from strong identification with the forms (Ego) to the eventual dis-identification and knowing of Knowing (or awareness of Awareness)?

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:02 pm

Thanks, Smiileyjen, for the fascinating experiences! I don't know anything about ghosts or apparitions, but surely don't rule them out.

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:33 am

Hi Turiya,
I don't know much about Vedanta
Well, one interesting thing to know is that Turiya is a Sanskrit word which means the '4th' [state] in vedanta (implying that Turiya is the real self or Brahman which remains constant during the other three states of waking, dreaming and deep sleeping :D. Its from the Mandukya Upanishad a masterful text which establishes the doctrine that no creation ever happened and the world is a projection :shock:. Happy to elaborate if you want on this if you had questions about Turiya :D.
Does the Vedanta teaching say that the subtle body has a birth and death just like the gross body?
The subtle body does not die like the gross body. You could think of it as the 'soul'. It exits the gross body after death and then (based on your karmic load) attaches to another appropriate gross body at birth. It contains the mind, memory, intellect, ego functions. If you think of geniuses like Mozart who knew how to play piano perfectly at a very young age--a logical explanation is that information is contained in his subtle body. Also, this karmic vision allows an explanation for when terrible things happen to very young children. Its due to the Karmic load carryover.
Is enlightenment the death of the subtle body?...the cessation of vasanas and personality?... the end to reincarnation?...
Or, do subtle bodies (as well as gross bodies) keep appearing and disappearing and reappearing endlessly... like waves in the ocean?
Will they always be coming and going in Awareness?... and it's just the point of view that shifts from strong identification with the forms (Ego) to the eventual dis-identification and knowing of Knowing (or awareness of Awareness)?
Excellent questions Turiya! Vedanta does not use the word enlightenment as far as I know. It uses the word "Moksha' or freedom or liberation. For the regular person, yes, the subtle body is eternal so it keeps reincarnating depending on the karma performed by the person in their current life. The cycle of births and deaths in this universe and others (mulitverses :shock:) are an eternal projection of maya.

Moksha is not an experience, it is the understanding and assimilation of the notion that your true nature is the fundamental existence/consciousness which is the substrate of this world. The whole world or duality is projected by you. The whole world resolves to you. This is an understanding that takes place in the intellect. It is not an experience in meditation etc.. In fact, in meditation, if an amazing experience happens--we should ask, what reveals that experience? You (as consciousness) are the revealer of every object and experience. Your true nature cannot be objectified as an object or experience (but most people want to objectify/experience in a special way the simple basic truth of themselves).

Once you understand and assimilate this knowledge clearly then the whole explanation for duality (i.e., beings, bodies, reincarnation etc) is not needed. There is only you and everything you see is a projection of you. Duality remains as the transactional reality within which you don different roles likes different outifits. The world is seen as a divine play or lila. But the most divine thing of all is you and the 'ananda' or bliss or contentment which is afforded when you stay as your (true) self :D. All other experiences and activities seem relegated to the background even as you go about your daily life. Why go after a flashlight when you have discovered the ultimate sun in yourself? :D.

Happy to answer anymore questions. It's always fun to read your posts :D

turiya

Post by turiya » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:54 pm

Thanks, runstrails. I enjoyed reading your explanation. :D
runstrails wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:33 am
Why go after a flashlight when you have discovered the ultimate sun in yourself? :D.
Good point. I like the way you phrased that! 8)