Working on being present everyday

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Working on being present everyday

Postby h68 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:50 am

Hi there,

I am writting here to ask for advice and testimonies about practicing presence on a daily basis.

After reading and rereading the PON, it seems that I am left with knowing more but still doing so little.

Just like it is written in the PON, I am aware that reading such a literature is not in itself the answer but that being able to implement those teachings is key.

And here is the thing: I tried many ways, like scheduling my day with short meditations and so on but it doesn't seem to be sufficient.

Am I too controlled by my mind? Is the ego ruling me and holding me so tight that I cannot get glimpses of presence? Those are the questions that I would tend to answer with a positive answer.

Still, it doesn't matter that much, I guess, as the only thing that matters is how I can be present and live in the moment.

I know that, for example, the hardest moments for me are in the morning. I have such a pressure on my shoulders at the beginning of the day, I want to do so many things, I think about so many things at once.

In the other side, I am also quieter and quieter in the evening, as the day is in a way "over" so that my mind seems to be more able to let go and I can have glimpses of presence and inner peace.

So I would like to hear from you, if you have any advice, how you manage to be presence and to come back t it, if you have tips or if you have some tricks that you notice work well (it could be also examples from specific situations and not only everyday life/ routine).

Thank you in advance, have a nice day!
"You are not the thinker"
h68

Re: Working on being present everyday

Postby Donna » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi H68, what is your relationship to "all that is" or the life that surrounds you? For you, what is life?
~*~*~*~* I love to live and live to love. *~*~*~*~
Donna

Postby h68 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:21 am

Donna wrote:Hi H68, what is your relationship to "all that is" or the life that surrounds you? For you, what is life?

Hi Donna, for me, "all that is" and life surrounding me is a manifestation of the process of life, ie this great "thing" that is responsible for humans, animals and everything that is. I consider myself just a part of it. Not a part in the sense of a distinct entity, but a component, a manifestation of it. I think that it is the same for every living being, every object in the universe.
So I would say that life is all and all that is is also life.
It is hard for me to write about a relation, as there is one, but it is factual, I am a manifestation of life. But what I suppose I tend to do, is to retrieve this connection with all that is, with life, ie to feel and to live instead of to have it as a concept on the level of the mind.
"You are not the thinker"
h68

Postby smiileyjen101 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:16 pm

I know that, for example, the hardest moments for me are in the morning. I have such a pressure on my shoulders at the beginning of the day, I want to do so many things, I think about so many things at once.

In the other side, I am also quieter and quieter in the evening, as the day is in a way "over" so that my mind seems to be more able to let go and I can have glimpses of presence and inner peace.

This may just be a reaction/response to waking up in the physical body.
Think about it - what weight do you have on your shoulders in the morning that eases by the end of the day?

When you awaken be for a moment before you jump up and meet the day - delight in your being human, grateful, loving, centred, aware of your senses and oppositions of senses as a delight of physicality - not in any particular order -

Be aware of your closed eyes closing out the visual stimuli but that light still filters through gently. Keep them closed gently, as in don't stress them closed, just don't force them open yet

Be aware of the sounds around you without making enemy, obstacle, means to an end of them, embrace them, be grateful for your sense of hearing

Be aware of scents lingering in the sleepy aftermath, awaken your sense of smell and be grateful

Feel the stimuli that is around your body even if that's only fresh air, feel your toes - wiggle your toes and be grateful for them, feel the stimuli around your feet - the soles of your feet that will carry you through your day, be grateful and loving towards them, your ankles that hold your legs... ah such beautiful, precious friends, these legs - these amazing combination of muscle and sinew and tendons and bones that allow you to stand upright that carry you in leisure or at speed, what blessings, love and thank them, your hips and your groin --- hmm if you need to go to the loo go... gratefully : )

For as much as you can on first awakening BE, be grateful you have woken up in this body. If you get to your tummy be grateful for the food that nourished your body and the amazing mechanics of your stomach and internal organs that took what it needed to nourish you and is working on releasing that which it does not need, to your chest that houses your magnificent lungs - breathe in with love and gratefulness, breathe out and acknowledge that it does this even without your attention, your heart beating pumping warm life giving blood all the way to your toes, bless your toes again, your shoulders blessed shoulders that carry the weight of your head with all its heavy thoughts weighing you down - make a pact with your shoulders to ease their burden, to carry your head lightly to not weigh it down unnecessarily to do as the stomach does and let go of that which is not needed to the neck, to the head and face and all the wonders it holds - mouth, nose, ears, forehead that crinkles either in laughter or frowning, then open your eyes wide like a child in delight of having found themselves in this body and awake.

Step into your day and if you feel a weight descend on your shoulders remember the promise you made to them. If you feel any part of your body tense, take your loving attention to them and enquire how you can lighten their load.

skip into your day, it is a pure blessing!

Meet all that you meet with this same sense of gratitude and love - family, friends, strangers, nature, work, play, what is it all except opportunities to BE present, to BE grateful, to BE love... in this physical form.

We've kind of forgotten what a blessing it is and to be grateful in the sense of 'saying grace' in its pure sense.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Return to Personal Experiences