when having an intense emotion, I don't want to focus on now

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

when having an intense emotion, I don't want to focus on now

Postby zhddz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:06 pm

Eckhart's teaching works well when I am already calm, but when I am having an intense emotion, I just feel that "now" is so boring and I do not want to concentrate on it.

When I feel that I am burning in hell, I do want to pay attention to birds chirping in the tree. Birds' chirping might be beautiful, but I feel they are irrelevant to me, my thoughts might be painful, but they are attractive. Sometimes, I just let a bad thought run in my head for a few hours until I am tired and get headache.

Even I manage to stop my thoughts, they come up again very quickly. Thoughts are like ghosts, when I am strong, they follow me; when I am weak, they possess me.
zhddz

Re: when having an intense emotion, I don't want to focus on

Postby tod » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:40 pm

Your true self is calm and clear, and what you describe is this self observing thought overly focusing on thought, and thus creating a thought to be self that has thought itself into an emotional situation.

This mechanism of thought construction can be observed in action which enables, usually over time, not such deep involvement in these thought scenarios.
tod

Postby far_eastofwest » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:48 am

Well its always easy to do something when you are already doing it, ie, if you are calm well of course practising calm is going to work, you are already there.

One thing with the headaches, mine are just about gone, i did find that i felt stressful and would get a headache, though with careful looking at the situation actually found out the headache was in Pre Headache mode and my stress was actually caused by the headache coming on, not the headache caused by stressing. Now I have a lie down when i feel the signs, lots to drink and only a little to eat. So there's a thought, maybe an oncoming headache is causing you to feel upsetting/running useless thoughts and not the other way around.

If you are having trouble with worrying and don't think its physical based, try and plan something else to do after a set time of worrying, ie, after half hour do something useful, like bake a triple layer cake or build a starwars glow thingo. Instructables is a website that has many ideas for finding something interesting rather than useless to focus thoughts on. I love the invisible book shelves, look so cool with books seemingly sitting floating on nothing on the wall.
Its FUN.... life i think should have fun in it, don't forget it, sometimes you gotta make your own fun with the resources you have.

Just some ideas
:-)
There is nothing harder to find than a black cat in a dark room
Especially when there is no cat....
far_eastofwest

Postby karmarider » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:30 am

zhddz wrote:When I feel that I am burning in hell, I do want to pay attention to birds chirping in the tree...

Try a release technique. I have one on my website which has worked very well for me, and others have found help in Sedona method, EFT, and so on.
karmarider

Return to Personal Experiences