After-math of finding out about A New Earth

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

After-math of finding out about A New Earth

Postby interrupted201 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:00 pm

I recently discovered Oprah and Eckhart Tolle's webcast series, and really had a "shift" in terms of finally realizing what I wanted in life was inner peace and that the path to that is being present and aware in this moment. Everything he said about the ego and the pain-body really struck a chord with me - I knew exactly what he was talking about! And I could identify all of the times in my life where I was struggling and knew then that that wasn't "me," but I just never really knew how to identify it and who the "real me" was.

So after getting through all 10 chapter webcasts, I am trying to practice some of the things I learned. But now, I feel very lost. Firstly, I feel like there's a another "self" in me outside of the ego, the pain-body, and the true awareness. It is an entity that is between the ego and the consciousness. I read earlier in this forum about the 4 selfs, but I'm just trying to reconcile between what Tolle says, and what I am experiencing. This entity is aware of the ego, and is also aware of the consciousness space. And right now I feel like that's who the real me is, because I don't identify with the ego but I also don't identify with the consciousness space just yet. Has anyone else experienced this and has insight on it?

I try to meditate and focus on the space between my thoughts, or sometimes just stillness - which to me is just going completely blank - black space, where I just focus on the space and not really anything else. But I feel like this isn't the same as the consciousness space that Tolle talks of where instead of focusing on nothing, you are actually aware of everything. During my daily routine, I try to be mindful of every activity and focus completely on that, but I don't feel like I'm the true awareness/consciousness at that moment. It seems rather ordinary and bland. I am just confused as to what I am supposed to feel in terms of being truly conscious.

I understand that Tolle says that it's not necessarily what you do, but how you do it that matters in this life. But I am at a confusing point in my career. I am fine with my career choice, but I want to know what my role is in this world, in a global sense. I try to quiet my mind and try to make decisions by listening to my inner voice - but sometimes I just get so confused as to what my inner voice is since I don't know what the consciousness space is even like, or if I am doing any of this in the right manner.

Any advice is really appreciated!!

Thank you,
Sandy
interrupted201

Re: After-math of finding out about A New Earth

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi Sandy,
Two things I noticed above - you're doing a lot of 'trying' and appear to be splitting things apart in order to put them back together (reconcile) again.

I'm just trying to reconcile between what Tolle says, and what I am experiencing.

I try to be mindful of every activity and focus completely on that, but I don't feel like I'm the true awareness/consciousness at that moment.

Have a look at this video about 'trying' .. it shows it far better than I could explain the effort of trying is its own pursuit. http://www.robbinsmadanestraining.com/f ... video1.php

Also in the above notice the number of times you say one thing and then add a 'but....'

I tend to notice wherever there is a 'but' there is usually a notion of 'should' or 'should not' attached that negates the thing prior to the 'but'. So in this example I notice two layers of resistance to what is - one in the trying instead of being or doing, the other in negating what is with layers of resistance of how a thing 'should' or 'should not' be, instead of 'is'.

It seems rather ordinary and bland.

I am just confused as to what I am supposed to feel in terms of being truly conscious.

These two statements are in purity.
The first suggests you were 'expecting' something else.
The second suggests you think you're doing something 'wrong'.

After looking at the video about 'trying' that you might laugh a little, let go, relax and let things be whatever they are, in this moment, no effort involved.

After watching the video maybe relook or become aware whenever you are 'trying' and if the word 'but' arises to negate something.

Another helpful notion is recognising the distance, if any, between expectation and reality in a moment.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby tod » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:53 pm

Welcome to the forum Sandy.

interrupted201 wrote:...but I don't feel like I'm the true awareness/consciousness at that moment. It seems rather ordinary and bland. I am just confused as to what I am supposed to feel in terms of being truly conscious.

You are 'supposed' to be feeling what you are feeling. You have simply misidentified your true self.

Being truly conscious is being conscious full stop. It is not a matter of being a conscious person, space, or any object. You just 'stop' at being conscious. Adding anything to consciousness is entering the world of mind/objects as an object viewing other objects.

Not that being in a world of objects is a problem, as it is simply know that you are not really an object in such a world, but simply aware/conscious of it.

And, as you say, it could be described as very ordinary or bland, or even transparent, but then that is making consciousness into some thing/object, which it isn't.

With best wishes,
tod

Postby karmarider » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi Sandy,

Welcome, and I'm glad that you've started your inner exploration. Continue to explore, and use your intuition to guide you. This particular forum is a great resource--you'll find many different perspective here.

My particular view is that the basic problem is the fear of life. And I think all inner exploration eventually leads to the self-inquiry, that is, looking at you, looking at the you-ness of you.
Last edited by karmarider on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karmarider

Postby rideforever » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:14 pm

interrupted201 wrote:but sometimes I just get so confused as to what my inner voice is since I don't know what the consciousness space is even like, or if I am doing any of this in the right manner.

My suggestion would be (and this is what I am trusting for myself ):

When you are in "meditation" (or whenever it is that you do your work), abide in the deepest consciousness you can. So you have these different areas of your consciousness that you are noticing, just rest in the one you think is the 'deepest'. Make your practice be to go into this place and remain there, just check every once in a while that you are indeed in the right place. "Being" in this place with awareness will bring the depth of your being into your worldly life over time. It will solidify the depth within you. As you "remain" fully aware in this deepest place, gently surrender yourself yet deeper. Deeper and deeper. Allow yourself to go in, and remain in.

As the truth of your being grows within you, if you allow it and welcome it, your outer life will begin to move naturally. Allowing the light into you, allowing yourself to become different, to become the light, and accepting all the guidance that it is wanting to give to you ... will naturally lead you into the right place in the world.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby bluefox » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:35 pm

I'm really enjoying this thread. As a new comer to ET I am feeling exactly the same as the OP.
Thanks for the replies all, very helpful indeed :D
Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness. How do you know this is the experience you need? Because this is the experience you are having at this moment - ET
bluefox

Postby smiileyjen101 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:43 pm

Welcome bluefox :D
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Return to Personal Experiences