Come join me, if you will...

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Come join me, if you will...

Postby runstrails » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:46 am

December has always seemed a little magical for me. Perhaps its the holidays, perhaps it's the end of the year (arbitrary, I know).

Anyway, I've decided to spend the next month making a concerted effort to live consciously as my true nature. This will mean 'reminders' for me throughout the day of my 'true self'. These reminders could be as simple as returning to the breath. I'll also try to start and end the day with a small (informal) meditation (again, simply as a reminder and a conscious experience) of being. The rest of the day, the focus will be a balance between 'being' and 'doing'. Do-be-do-be-do (as Amit Goswami says). The key is for the mind to remain conscious, allowing being to shine through :D.
The last six months have been a time of deep reflection for me on Self and the true nature of reality. I'm ready to now live from these reflections.

[P.S., I realize that the "I" here is just an illusion and there is only Self. But it's just hard to talk unless you use linguistic conventions!

So I invite you, come join me, if you would like, set your own reminders and let being shine through 'you'.

I'll try to keep you updated on what happens. And please feel free to chime in yourself too.
runstrails

Re: Come join me, if you will...

Postby rachMiel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:44 am

Sweet. I'm in. :-)

I shall imagine myself as a prism through which consciousness is shining.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby runstrails » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:00 pm

Great, rM!
No need to imagine--just be yourself :wink:. Chime in when you can.
runstrails

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:55 pm

runstrails wrote:P.S., I realize that the "I" here is just an illusion and there is only Self. But it's just hard to talk unless you use linguistic conventions!

Of course everyOne needs to work through this for themSelves but I feel moved to offer my own sense of this.

"I" have no problem living through a perspective of a unique self - so long as I recognize that at my core I am Self - the same Self as is the origin of all apparent others. Each of us, as a perspective and experiencer of life, are unique. How persistent, in the infinity and eternity of being, that uniqueness holds is a mystery beyond my current understanding. I suspect however that it has some real staying power. What great company all you unique ones will be as life unfolds and evolves.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby rachMiel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:41 pm

runstrails wrote:Great, rM!
No need to imagine--just be yourself

Thing is, I don't know what that means: "just be yourself." Really, not just argumentatively. When I look, no one's home. There's just ... sensations, emotions, feelings, thoughts swirling through a brain. Am "I" aware of them? Yes. But the "I" that is aware is also ... sensations, emotions, feelings, thoughts. So it's like an endless nest of Russian Dolls with no solid doll at the end.

That's why I rely on imagination. :-)
rachMiel

Postby arel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:05 pm

rachMiel wrote:But the "I" that is aware is also ... sensations, emotions, feelings, thoughts.

So the all inclusive, aware, space of this moment, that knows of all of that is part of it you would say?
What I say is only my viewpoint.
arel

Postby rachMiel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:37 pm

arel wrote:
rachMiel wrote:But the "I" that is aware is also ... sensations, emotions, feelings, thoughts.

So the all inclusive, aware, space of this moment, that knows of all of that is part of it you would say?

Something like that, yes, assuming I understand what you mean.

The sensations, emotions, feelings, thoughts themselves ... the awareness of them ... the questioning of the reality of them ... the sense one sometimes gets of transcending them ... it's all "composed of" the same stuff: sensations, emotions, feelings, thoughts.

If this is true, that there is no way for mind to "go beyond" mind, to see/fathom the source of the shadows on the cave wall ... what's left to do? Just flail around like wooden puppets who think (wish, hope) they were real little boys and girls?
rachMiel

Postby arel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:53 pm

In the context you are speaking, I would agree. There are some unique descriptions of it that apply however. For example its limitlessness and constancy. If no matter where you look, you see one thing, it's a paradigm shift as they say. If a question is asked "who am I?" or "who are you?" then how you answer is informed by the seeing. And I guess how you answer that question matters quite a bit. What is there left to do? I would say - to see that.
arel

Postby rachMiel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:43 pm

arel wrote:In the context you are speaking, I would agree. There are some unique descriptions of it that apply however. For example its limitlessness and constancy. If no matter where you look, you see one thing, it's a paradigm shift as they say. If a question is asked "who am I?" or "who are you?" then how you answer is informed by the seeing. And I guess how you answer that question matters quite a bit. What is there left to do? I would say - to see that.

If by seeing you mean knowing, I agree. If I knew, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that there is only one and that everything is one (including of course the mind that knows this), it would be a huge paradigm shift. That's the paradigm shift of Vedanta, as far as I understand. And, yes, that is worth doing, inquiring into that.

But when it comes down to it, isn't that inquiry, or at least the "goal" of the inquiry -- tat tvam asi -- just another instance of mind trying to go beyond mind? Logic can lead you all the way up to the edge of the cliff; then you have to decide whether the jumping will result in grievous bodily harm or enlightenment. It's the leap of faith, or more accurately, that's what it seems like to me, now.
rachMiel

Postby arel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:05 pm

..If I knew, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that there is only one and that everything is one...

That sucker, that shadow of a doubt, huh? :)

And I wouldn't say it's a leap of faith. I simply cannot escape the fact.
arel

Postby tod » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:13 pm

rachMiel wrote:The sensations, emotions, feelings, thoughts themselves ... the awareness of them ... the questioning of the reality of them ... the sense one sometimes gets of transcending them ... it's all "composed of" the same stuff: sensations, emotions, feelings, thoughts.

If this is true, that there is no way for mind to "go beyond" mind

Yes, all made of the same 'mind' stuff. And you have just illustrated that you are aware of that, are looking at that, are not really 'caught up' in that. Recognise this that recogises that - not a big step. Oh, and don't make this into a that - otherwise this pops into that, becomes more mind stuff
tod

Postby rachMiel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:17 pm

arel wrote:
..If I knew, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that there is only one and that everything is one...

That sucker, that shadow of a doubt, huh? :)

It's a big shadow. Something like Eliot's:

Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow
rachMiel

Postby runstrails » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:55 pm

rachmiel wrote:
If I knew, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that there is only one and that everything is one (including of course the mind that knows this), it would be a huge paradigm shift. That's the paradigm shift of Vedanta, as far as I understand. And, yes, that is worth doing, inquiring into that.

Yes its worth continuing the inquiry. When the paradigm shifts you'll wonder how it's not obvious in the first place. The biggest shift for me was that consciousness creates the material world and not the other way around. I used science and logic mainly to get that. So yes, mind is a very good tool for inquiry. But mind cannot know what it appears to. Thus limited human mind cannot understand the true nature of consciousness--you just can't know. The mind-body unit is just another appearance that occurs to THIS. Sort of like a user interface for THIS to experience itself. But the brain does need to be re-wired to allow this perspective of reality to become dominant---and that's my concerted practice for this month.

So far so good---there is awareness of my true nature for more parts of the day than less. I'm getting better at seeing which thoughts are particularly sticky.
runstrails

Postby runstrails » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:10 am

WW said: "I" have no problem living through a perspective of a unique self - so long as I recognize that at my core I am Self - the same Self as is the origin of all apparent others. Each of us, as a perspective and experiencer of life, are unique. How persistent, in the infinity and eternity of being, that uniqueness holds is a mystery beyond my current understanding. I suspect however that it has some real staying power. What great company all you unique ones will be as life unfolds and evolves.

Beautifully said!
I find that when the focus is as Self, then the mind-body unit becomes just another (albeit unique) appearance.
runstrails

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:17 am

Logic can lead you all the way up to the edge of the cliff; then you have to decide whether the jumping will result in grievous bodily harm or enlightenment. It's the leap of faith, or more accurately, that's what it seems like to me, now.

i

was

pushed

:lol:
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Next

Return to Personal Experiences