Tragedy in CT

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Tragedy in CT

Postby treasuretheday » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:05 am

The tragedy that unfolded in CT Friday is so sad. So many innocent lives fatally assaulted. Now, there are grieving parents, friends, neighbors. The entire nation & perhaps, the globe, has been touched by this brutality & suffering.

I know that ET says that solutions and answers, wisdom, flow from stillness, a quiet mind, presence, being, rather than from lots & lots of thinking!

What has "flowed" from stillness for you? As you become more present, does the suffering of others yield a more helfpul, loving response? Any pointers on how to help those who grieve in a respectful, mindful, present manner? How have you processed this event? Anything anyone would like to share about the issue of violence & a mindful response to it, would be appreciated. Thanks.
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Re: Tragedy in CT

Postby karmarider » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:10 am

What comes up is anger, horror, the thought of young vibrant lives cut short, empathy for the wounded and surviving, admiration for the adults who gave their lives in trying to protect, the selfish gratitude that as a parent I have never had to endure such a tragedy, and the thought that the human species continues to fail its children. What also comes up is sympathy and understanding and forgiveness for the perpetrator. He was driven by the fear of life, as are most human beings--it's just that in him and people like him, the effects of the fear, led to an overwhelming tragedy.
karmarider

Postby smiileyjen101 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:26 am

Treasuretheday - this too shall pass, all things shall pass, there is only here and only now.

Our call to be love is in every moment, to all in our midst and our hearts. Our minds cannot make the changes, our hearts have to be willing.

In perspective - an 'innocent' child, under the age of five years old, dies on this planet every 4 seconds - every four seconds, 22,000 under five years old every day.

One child every five seconds dies from hunger - if that sounds less tragic than it really is --- they die a long, slow, painful death of starvation while their surviving families, relatives, communities do everything in their power to save them, and it is not enough. There is no outrage, no media crush, the calls for change go unheard or unheeded, there are only the tears, the pain, the burying, the ache and in pregnancy the fear and hope all over again.

Where is the outrage - for the equivalent of 1080 'CT tragedies' every day , where is the anger, the grief, the calls for change?
20 children gunned down is sad, no doubt about it.

20 children dying needlessly every 80 seconds. Every single 80 seconds.... what shall we call that?

900 'innocent' children every hour
45 CT Tragedies every single hour,
of every single day,
of every single week,
of every year.

all include -
grieving parents, friends, neighbors.
and innocents suffering at the hands of others either in action or inaction.

I'm sorry... physical life is temporary, we focus more locally than globally and we pretend we cannot make a difference.

- the innocent remind us of this.

Sometimes they don't remind us enough, or for long enough, and sometimes they remind only our heads, not our hearts where real change must come from. One to the other spreading outwards in love creating solutions, rather than inwards in fear, creating the problems.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby treasuretheday » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:04 pm

Thank you both for your replies.

Karmarider, I resonate with your feelings & concerns. I feel very sad for the shooter & his family too. His pain & suffering must have been staggering to have taken the action that he did. We don't know many details of his life, but we can gather that he was a person in significant pain, & as you say, much fear.

Smileyjen, I hear what you are saying about suffering around the globe. It is something that is far-reaching & real, & in need of care & attention. I also feel that *this* event, the violence that brought it about, & the anguish that ensued, is worthy of our attention. This faces us here & now. If I were in Syria, I'd be faced with the brutality there. Each circumstance calls for a response. Every person is precious.

The day of the shooting, I read some pages out of New Earth, looking for guidance, & found ET referring to violence as madness..."forgive them, for they know notwhat they do," in the words of Jesus, whom ET quoted. He wrote about wars, all violence, being results of humans lost in thought, forgetting that their humanity unites them. The need to be right, ET puts forth, be it between partners, struggling nations, or political parties, mainains the status quo. One person can stop the madness, by dropping out of thinking, & moving from the heart (essence, consiousness, etc.)

Of course, this event's violence was not a struggle. It was forced upon people who were just doing their jobs, teaching in a classroom, & upon small children who had just showed up for class. It was an unprovoked attack that come from no where. Shocking, chilling & terrifying.

I agree that we are called to love as every moment unfolds. I believe that this tragedy will draw out the love in peoples' hearts. People want to help, be of service. Maybe events like this pull us out of our egos individually, collectively, & create an opening, a space, that can lead to more presence, more real power to do good, & ultimately will bring us closer to "A NEW EARTH."
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby rideforever » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:14 pm

I also felt deeply saddened by this tragedy.

The world is very violent and we are all a part of it. We must work hard for peace. We must take that responsibility.

Within each of us is the violence : in how we think, how we talk, how we see the world, how we drive. This is the root of the violence in the world, it is inside us.

So many now call for helping others ... but we must work on our very selves with whatever dedication we can muster, because it is inside ourselves that the violence lurks.

An angry sentence spoken to someone, in turns causes them to suffer, and it is passed on person to person reverberating around the world.

This is what we can do.

"The Roots of Violence: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Knowledge without character, Commerce without morality, Science without humanity, Worship without sacrifice, Politics without principles." Mahatma Gandhi
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby heidi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Jen - I am going to use your statistics on facebook. So far I have ignored all of the chatter and blather because I feel the same way you do. Of course it's a tragedy and my heart goes out to the families, but it seems our culture uses the "story" to enhance its own story...
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby treasuretheday » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:25 pm

Rideforever, I hear what you are saying about the violence in each of us. I so agree. I think ET says the seeds of dysfunction are within in us all. The "perfect storm" of variables ignited in the shooter leading to combustion. Our awareness of our inner violence frees us from building on it, acting it out.

As we meditate and become more present during every moment, as I mentioned in my original post, ET suggests that flowing from that presence will be action that truly serves, not ego-driven action. Still, even for those who simply act on behalf of another without first going within, I feel there is an opportunity there to become more present, to shake off ego-driven thoughts & behavior, as it were.

The purpose of becoming more conscious and present, it seems to me, is to become a positive force in the world-to build a New Earth. I think ET would see the tragedy as an "opportunity" to grow in love, to respond to madness with presence.

Jen, I wonder if instead of using the story to serve an entrenched, embedded story, if this tragedy could serve to open up awareness of something deeper; our common humanity. It's up to us, I suppose. Any misfortune or atrocity could serve to plant those seeds within us deeper into dysfunction, or awaken us to the flowering of something beautiful.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby lakeswimr » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:39 am

I feel very sad about it but I also can't let myself think about it all the time. I don't mean sticking my head in the sand about it. What I mean is that as I"m sure you see, the media is going to publish and televise every tiny detail, details we don't need to know, details that only serve to feed our painbodies. It if would help others for me to focus on this and cry all day I'd do it but it will only make me feel worse and worse. I have cried over what happened. But I'm not going to keep focusing on it. if more feelings come up I will feel them and hopefully let myself experience them fully so they let me go and don't get stuffed inside. But I can try to keep focusing on what I'm doing now.

I try to accept the feelings I have at any time. I admit that this has set me off center and I have been effected by how friends and family and others around me have reacted. Their intense emotional reactions have impacted my emotions. Being aware of this has helped. I purposely listened to ET in the car today (to a non-meditative CD, of course! Some of his are not OK while driving!!) That helped.

I know the shooter was very mentally ill. Sane people don't do things like this. I hope that some good comes out of this. I see people around me acting much kinder to each other and I know it is becuase of what happened and their sadness over it. I have heard many say, "I'm going to try to be a better person, to be kinder" and things like that. I think the assault weapon ban will happen again because of this, which I think is a very good thing. I still can't wrap my mind around it and won't ever, I"m sure.

I have wondered about Byron Katie. She says she loves what is, no matter what it is. I can't love this, though. I don't love it. It's very sad to me. But I"m OK with the fact that there is sadness right now. I think that is a human and normal reaction to something like this. Hanging on to the sadness, trying to watch all that news, hyperfocusing on it, though, wouldn't be healthy for anyone IMO.
lakeswimr

Postby jan-sandahl » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:27 am

This time I refused sadness, but smiled instead, decided to emanate joy, light and feeling of wellbeing. In empathy, I know I don´t diminish anyones suffering by doing so. This pain is already manifested, and I chose to counter it. I do this more and more. A raindance of sorts.
jan-sandahl

Postby smiileyjen101 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:49 am

Jen, I wonder if instead of using the story to serve an entrenched, embedded story, if this tragedy could serve to open up awareness of something deeper; our common humanity.

It could on an individual basis, it would require first acceptance, second a response to 'what would love do now' and thirdly, the courage, capacity and willingness to actually do as love would - let go of fear.

It's up to us, I suppose.

There isn't anyone else :)

Any misfortune or atrocity could serve to plant those seeds within us deeper into dysfunction, or awaken us to the flowering of something beautiful.

And now you're seeing the power of 'choice' ... in the direction of love and compassion the answers are all there and they would flow out exponentially.

It's the same for dysfunction and fear.

No one will presume to choose for you.

The US as a nation appears to have chosen fear for long parts of its history, yet many citizens within it choose love.
The 'audacity of hope' was a cry for love to permeate age old wounds and heal.... maybe this is an opportunity to give it voice, to give it hands, to give it heart, to give it feet, to give it all. I think there is no greater hope than audacious hope!
Audacious =
1. extremely bold or daring; brave; fearless: an audacious explorer.
2. extremely original; without restriction to prior ideas; highly inventive:

This time the nation is hurting and there is no 'enemy' to seek out and destroy, to hunt to their end, and rise a victor over, that one has already gone.

Everyone will have to look inside for their answers and responses.

Any action locally impacts globally.

No choice is wrong, it just brings a different experience. We are all love in the end :D
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby treasuretheday » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:45 pm

Lakeswimr, well-said. I quite agree that hanging on to each news broadcast & reading every word in the papers becomes less about empathy & more about *feeding* the sadness.
We need to move on, & perhaps help in some manner, as I talked about before. You mentioned the ban on assault weapons, & I too think that would be helpful. We can write our representatives to let them know we support the ban. There is quite a mix of opinion on that "constituitonal right" out there. Thank you for sharing your experience & insights.

Jan-Sandhl, I appreciate your attention to the plight of children around the globe. As I mentioned before, I don't think attending to the suffering in CT in any way diminishes the significance of the suffering of children (or adults) elsewhere. We weep for children (for PEOPLE) everywhere, who live with injustice & any sort of abuse. Syria breaks my heart daily. As with the news coverage in CT, I have to limit my viewing & reading about it. I also agree with Lakeswimr's assertion that Byron Katie's "Loving what is" approach doesn't work for me with these issues either. I DO believe that mediation, becoming more present, getting out of the head & living more from the heart, sends ripples of good will beyond our doorstep. Our energy frequency is not benign. Our thoughts are not passive entities. Awareness of that reality "helps."

Jen, accept what is...that I can do. It is what it is. Yes...all decisions or actions that are appropriate to a situation stem from love, not fear. Fear-based solutions are always doomed to fail. Love based ones will always be helpful somehow. Discerning when we are coming from love & when we are coming from fear can be tricky. Some critics of the automatic weapon ban insist that supporters are simply having a knee-jerk reaction; acting from fear, essentially. Some supporters of the law may indeed be coming from that place. Others have a deep in their bones feeling that such a law embodies justice & truth and will facilitate peace. As a supporter I also understand that no one piece of legislation will "cure" mass murder. But Imo, the ban would be a move in the direction of peace, which makes it a good move!
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Return to Personal Experiences