Growing in presence

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Growing in presence

Postby Abc1234 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:31 am

Hi all,
I have recently rediscovered ET's writings. I recognize them as being very important and have been conscious of being in the present moment. The problem is I don't feel much peace underneath this, only the present moment as it is. How can you tell you are making progress in growing in presence power. Does it get easier? Is it worth continuing trying to stay in the now?
Abc1234

Re: Growing in presence

Postby kiki » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:07 am

Hello Abc1234, and welcome to the board.

The problem is I don't feel much peace underneath this, only the present moment as it is. How can you tell you are making progress in growing in presence power. Does it get easier? Is it worth continuing trying to stay in the now?

Stop a minute and reflect on this. If you are simply fully present there is no thought of past, no thought of future, and not even any thought of now; you are just with whatever is unfolding before you. You are not thinking about anything at all, just witnessing what is happening. So, is there really a lack of peace, or are you looking for it and wondering where it is? Isn't the lack of peace just a mental construct the mind creates?

You know you are "growing" in presence when you easily remain totally attuned to the here and now and no longer get caught up and lost in ideas/thinking/worrying/regretting/projecting/naming/labeling/judging. Yes, it gets easier. In fact, as you "get it" more and more you'll marvel at how ridiculously easy it is.

The thing about the idea of "staying in the now" is that this implies it is not always now. When is it ever not now? Slow way down and think this through very carefully and what it implies. Isn't it always now? Past is never here, only presently arising thoughts about the past happening now, thoughts that you can become lost in. Future is never here, only presently arising thoughts about the future happening now, thoughts you can become lost in. All there really is is THIS, whatever form this takes, happening now. There is no real need for thoughts of past or future except for practical concerns, so let those other thoughts drop away as you recognize them so you no longer become entranced by them and get lost again.

Once again, welcome to the board, and a Happy New Year!

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Abc1234 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:31 am

Thanks Kiki for a great post and your warm welcome

The problem I have is finding the present moment 'boring'- which I suppose is my ego fighting back. Any way to counteract thAt?

I've definitely noticed myself being more present and getting less caught up in thoughts since I begun growing in presence. Bu my ego just keeps fighting back and telling me there's no point doing it cause it makes my difference/is boring/pointless etc...
Abc1234

Postby kiki » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:57 am

The problem I have is finding the present moment 'boring'- which I suppose is my ego fighting back

"Boring" is a label coming from mind. Mind seeks interesting/exciting, etc. When present things are just as they are, and any judgment about that is a mental viewpoint. Who comes to that viewpoint? The ego.

Any way to counteract thAt?

Since it is ego that has a viewpoint of the present being "boring" see if you can actually locate this thing called ego. Aside from thoughts/ideas about "me" where IS this ego anyway? Is it real or only imagined? Look and find out.

When all thoughts of "me" are absent what still remains? That is what You actually are. Whatever that is has no viewpoint, it just "sees" without distinction, without labeling, without judging, without fear. It's only when a cycle of thinking returns do all of those things happen. Part of that cycle is this "idea of me" that people believe themselves to be, that they identify with.

But if that "idea of me" is no longer active there is no more labeling of the present moment as boring. You see, ego has this idea of how the "present" should appear, and if doesn't meet its expectations then some judgment about it is made. Keep returning in a conscious way to the present moment and notice if there is any labeling or judging going on.

When you begin to see just how amorphous the ego is, how it's just a scaffold of ideas creating an illusory "me", identification with it begins to dissolve. Then it's not taken so seriously anymore; there is the "seeing" of ego arising and dissolving from the stillness and silence of impersonal awareness/consciousness. Return again and again until you simply abide there consciously and peace will be your constant companion. But when mind/ego intercedes again another label may be attached to that peace. Awareness/consciousness doesn't seek out excitement, it just "sees" what is; it has no preference for things being one way or another. This is truth, which is your very nature.

So the question to ask is, "Do I want truth, or something else? Do I want to be entertained, or do I want to see with clarity? Do I want to experience reality as it is or do I want to remain trapped in thought/mind/ego?" Your answer will determine whether you wake up to reality or not.

If you really want truth nothing will hold you back, but if you don't want it then you may as well drop the whole idea of awakening right now and go back to your "normal" life. Looking for truth takes enormous courage because you are willing to face whatever comes up, you are willing to be face to face with reality with nothing to hold on to; you are willing to be naked to the world without having any idea what's coming next. That's scary to the ego, and that's why a lot of people back away from awakening.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Sighclone » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:20 am

you are willing to be face to face with reality with nothing to hold on to; you are willing to be naked to the world without having any idea what's coming next. That's scary to the ego, and that's why a lot of people back away from awakening.

Welcome Abc! Kiki, the aged has described your problem, and again offered fine practices. He mentioned something years ago, to another poster which merits recalling. It has to do with the fear of letting go. He reminds us that as you risk and release, risk and release, you will finally find yourself at the end of the rope. It is in that final release, the final total and ultimate risk that two things emerge (and Grace is present here): 1) freedom happens and 2) in the act of finally releasing, you discover that your feet were always on the ground.

Of course your egoic mind-based identity will resist anything powerful which it does not either control or participate in. It is deep conditioning and meditation practices help it to stand down. The state of "no mind" however, is common in deep sleep...that is also a place of no known identity, and, by the way, a place you have visited every day of your life -- not something to fear at all. It takes a while for the waking mind to get used to being on the tool belt, like the senses...there when needed, but idle, or in neutral when simply Be-ing is happening. Candace O'Denver's site greatfreedom dot org has some useful pointers.

Yours is a very common condition. Busy, effective mind working hard to keep an identity supported, providing food for the table, knowledge for the cerebrum to grind on, and so forth. The hardest thing is recognizing and experiencing any state which does not include it. I have found that walking in nature without naming its parts is helpful, and encouraged by Eckhart.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Abc1234 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:09 am

So is it enough to Be in the moment? I've never been able to do the inner body awareness thing or the pain body. If I focus on being in the now will that take me to where I want to go? (peace, freedom from ego)
Abc1234

Postby Abc1234 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:25 am

Also, what's the difference betweent ETs teachings and mindfulness? Is there any?
Abc1234

Postby Sighclone » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:06 am

Also, what's the difference betweent ETs teachings and mindfulness

"Mindfulness" is a term which is perceived many ways. Please elaborate.

So is it enough to Be in the moment? I've never been able to do the inner body awareness thing or the pain body. If I focus on being in the now will that take me to where I want to go? (peace, freedom from ego)

No guru can tell you, specifically, which practice will assist in your unique spiritual development. That said, in general, meditation and yoga have been helpful to many people. "Focus on the now" is one portal, although a hard, grinding mental focus on anything is not a technique I have heard to be useful. Perhaps it will be sufficient for you...who can say?

Self-inquiry has also been useful for others ("Who am I?"). There is an Eckhart Tolle CD titled "Gateways to Now" which offers some additional techniques. Listening to the audio version of his "Stillness Speaks," has also been helpful.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Return to Personal Experiences