Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)

Postby Natalie » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:41 pm

I have recently signed up for a MBSR program at my local university hospital. The program draws on the age-old technique of meditation and hatha yoga. I sense it will help my natural capacity to actively engage in self-care…..much needed at this time. I have also returned to the outdoors and to physical exercise. I figure the benefits of being fully awake in the present moment, so the moment’s exquisite vividness is not lost, can’t hurt.

This specific program is taught in Miami by a neurosurgeon, but was developed in the mid 90’s at the Center for Mindfulness of the University of Massachusetts School of Medicine by a John Kabat-Zin, PhD, who is supposed to be a very wise and spiritual dude. It sure is nice to see the integration of mindfulness meditation and other similar approaches in mainstream medicine.

Being present in the moment ……. paying attention to it nonjudgmentally, has been the most important discovery I’ve made in my 49 years. I sense it is the only necessary requirement to improving my life. My experience is that nothing else is really necessary. I’ve found other approaches either too specific or too way out there for my taste. Recognizing the power of focusing on the breath or body parts, like Tolle suggests with his inner body meditation, really grounds me, and the best part is that this form of meditation can be practiced anywhere….on the beach, on a bike………it’s portable, no teachers, studios, cushions or cd’s are required.

I know I should probably let go of any and all expectations associated with my participation in this program. I am trying…………..

Natalie
Natalie

Re: Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)

Postby rachMiel » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:53 pm

Sounds like an excellent program, Natalie! I did something quite similar (Autogenes Training) many years ago when I lived in Germany, and I still turn to it almost every day. Being able to calm down "at will" is a godsend, especially when things get emotionally dicey ... which they will from time to time, right?

Please post progress reports, let us know how the program is going. :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby treasuretheday » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi Natalie! I'm so excited for you! The program sounds marvelous. The same MSBR classes were offered in my area recently, but they
were so popular, the seats filled up quite fast. Maybe next time I can get signed up before the class is full!

Yes, Jon Kabat-Zinn has made amazing contributions to the healthcare field. I love his books- especially, Wherever You Go There You Are and Full Catastrophe Living.

I agree that being present enriches our lives like nothing else. I hestitate to say "improve" our lives, as being present reveals that the moment, however it unfolds, is sufficient. We are sufficient. No improvements necessary! We wake up to discover how rich and alive the now is.

Having high expectations for the course makes sense. Participation in something that nurtures & connects at the level of essence, will surely result in a joyous and fulfilling endeavor. Your time will be well spent not only for yourself, but also in regard to the good will and peace you will extend to others as a result of your personal growth. Best wishes for a healing, enlightening & enjoyable learning experience!
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby kiki » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:19 am

I like Jon Kabat-Zinn very much. There are some good youtube videos of him. I've also purchased some of his mindfulness meditations.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby runstrails » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:09 am

It sounds really good, Natalie. I started yoga a couple of years ago and find it really helpful and grounding. Of course, its important to get the right teacher. Keep us posted on your progress with the program.
I'm glad that you are getting outdoors too. Nothing like a regular dose of nature to help calm us down. I'm not much of a meditator indoors, but running in nature is like a high speed meditation for me.
Great to hear from you!
runstrails

Postby karmarider » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Natalie wrote:I have recently signed up for a MBSR program at my local university hospital. The program draws on the age-old technique of meditation and hatha yoga.

Sounds like a good thing, Natalie.

Being present in the moment ……. paying attention to it nonjudgmentally, has been the most important discovery I’ve made in my 49 years.

I think it comes down to this as well. Noticing, observing.
karmarider

Return to Personal Experiences